Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2009, 10:39 AM

3,320 posts, read 5,595,060 times

Advertisements

I love my new corian and couldn't care less the opinion of the article mentioned in the op. I still wouldn't mind granite, but have found my corian has much more of a shimmer than I originally thought.

I find the talk of butcher block making a comback amusing, as back in the early 80's it was the cheapest type you could put in.

Last edited by gold*dust1; 03-05-2009 at 10:47 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2009, 10:46 AM

1,989 posts, read 4,465,698 times
I don't know about anybody else on here, but the more I read this thread, the more I think my ancestors would choke with laughter and/or fury that so much money and emotional energy is put into how a kitchen LOOKS.

Most of us out there had a kitchen that was also a dining room and also a living room and also a study and also a bedroom and also a bathroom (pot) not too many generations ago!

Old 03-05-2009, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cohdane View Post
I don't know about anybody else on here, but the more I read this thread, the more I think my ancestors would choke with laughter and/or fury that so much money and emotional energy is put into how a kitchen LOOKS.

Most of us out there had a kitchen that was also a dining room and also a living room and also a study and also a bedroom and also a bathroom (pot) not too many generations ago!
The kitchen has always been considered a gathering place at least for many years now, so I think my ancestors can get over it

Remember the kitchen sells the house, so it is wise to spend money there!

Old 03-05-2009, 11:33 AM

Location: Halfway between Number 4 Privet Drive and Forks, WA
1,516 posts, read 4,590,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gold*dust1 View Post
The kitchen has always been considered a gathering place at least for many years now, so I think my ancestors can get over it

Remember the kitchen sells the house, so it is wise to spend money there!

Do you work for HGTV? lol

I'm not buying any house just based on the kitchen. Thankfully, no one I know does that either...

But I do prefer the Corian over granite!

Old 03-05-2009, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PotterGeek View Post
Do you work for HGTV? lol

I'm not buying any house just based on the kitchen. Thankfully, no one I know does that either...

But I do prefer the Corian over granite!
Tongue - in - cheek dear...I'm merely stating that statistics show that the kitchen will sell a house, with kitchens and bathrooms being the best place to put your dollars for remodeling, and btw this was known way before HGTV.

I didn't buy based on the kitchen alone but many people do, not that it is there only consideration, but many will pass on a house because they don't like the kitchen.

I ruled out tons of houses with the same-ole-same kitchen layout around here that has the breakfast bar and dining room right off it and no island. I think it also has to do with a persons price point obviously.

I am quite confident that when I go to resell my new home our kitchen will help seal the deal because it has a great layout!

Old 03-05-2009, 03:34 PM

394 posts, read 1,049,118 times
I just saw a home with the original early 1960's cabinets and fell in love. Each one was a different size and shape and each was precious. I am so sick of seeing kitchen after kitchen that look alike. What happened to personality? HGTV - yuck! I find it very unattractive when I walk into a room and instantly think "Looks like a Home Depot display" or "looks like they bought room number 1" on sale at the local chain furniture store. I'd rather see a room half bare or filled with furniture passed down from generations past (whether it matches or not) than see something that looks like it came off the page of a catalog - because you know if you copied it from a catalog, there's a good chance your neighbor did also.

Old 03-05-2009, 07:20 PM

4,391 posts, read 9,483,682 times
[quote=cohdane;7739810]
Quote:
I vote leave the Corian.
I think we will.

Quote:
f you feel truly compelled to do something you can offer a "counter upgrade" allowance, so fussy buyers can pick whatever the heck they want

Oh i probably didn't explain well. We just bought a house with corian but are not moving to it for a year when we retire. So we are the buyers...or were

Quote:
Seems like a lot of buyers don't care as much as everyone says they do, though, reading through these posts.
Yeah I think it's just the people on HGTV that care

Old 03-07-2009, 04:48 AM

1,219 posts, read 4,218,376 times
Although I probably would not do a whole kitchen in butcher block, my new (new to us, lol) house has a butcher block top on the island (which oddly, is on wheels). It's pretty big, and also oddly, was covered in clear contact paper when we got here?! Anyhow, I took that off and cleaned it real good and it really is a nice food prep area.

The rest of my kitchen has nasty, old, white formica...that's going ASAP. We're thinking granite tile (I'd do slab, but we will probably eventually re-do this kitchen and I don't want to put the $ into it now). I did stainless appliances-because I like them, and I don't care what HGTV or trends say-I like what I like. I hate formica-it never lasts-and formica costs as much or more than do-it-yourself grantie tiles.

Old 03-07-2009, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderintonc View Post
Although I probably would not do a whole kitchen in butcher block, my new (new to us, lol) house has a butcher block top on the island (which oddly, is on wheels). It's pretty big, and also oddly, was covered in clear contact paper when we got here?! Anyhow, I took that off and cleaned it real good and it really is a nice food prep area.

The rest of my kitchen has nasty, old, white formica...that's going ASAP. We're thinking granite tile (I'd do slab, but we will probably eventually re-do this kitchen and I don't want to put the $ into it now). I did stainless appliances-because I like them, and I don't care what HGTV or trends say-I like what I like. I hate formica-it never lasts-and formica costs as much or more than do-it-yourself grantie tiles.
I agree with your opinion regarding stainless. I hate this misconception that's out there that HGTV has hypnotized *everyone* into a certain mindset or is that much of an influence. Maybe for some but not me.

Just because someone enjoys certain programs on HGTV doesn't mean they agree with all opinions stated on there like some mindless drone! My favorite shows on there are 1. Buy me 2. House Hunters..as I enjoy seeing different homes and the buying/selling stories behind them.

For anyone that doesn't already know, to qualify for House Hunters you have to have an accepted offer in on a home, so they already know what house they are buying.

Old 03-07-2009, 05:05 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,502,785 times
Stainless steel is an old idea - my parents had it back in the 60s - came with their small ranch house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate