Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2009, 05:29 PM

182 posts, read 531,224 times

Advertisements

It's hard to say. I am buying a house with a kitchen with vinyl floors and ugly laminate counters. Not a big deal. The cabinets aren't EXACTLY my taste (oak with square-routing) and white knobs but not a big deal.

Cabinets are expensive. I'll change out the hardward, lay a floor I like and counters that are my taste and be happy. I too prefer a mostly un-renovated kitchen. My parents just spent thousands in their kitchen to re-do it and it is SOOOO far from what I would like.

Like what someone said in another thread about "sticky homes prices", what one person considers an update, the next considers it as something that needs gutted and re-done.

I think the best selling point to a house is just have a clean house and paint colors that aren't crazy (some people find it TOO hard to look past neon green walls).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2009, 06:14 PM

1,869 posts, read 4,018,086 times
Right now i have white appliances. For my next kitchen i do not want white (just want a change) and i dont like black. Im not a fan of having finger prints on stainless but im wondering about the newer/cheaper? stainless that is smudge proof. anyone have experience with that? maybe by then though, they'll probably come out with new colors, like they have for washers and dryers.

Old 04-11-2009, 06:46 PM

48,505 posts, read 96,682,701 times
If you go to a appliance store its easy to see for yourslef. I was impressed. Justy look at the nroam stimlesss around the new finish and you see the difference.I agree with you that stainless looks bad if you don't wipe all teh time and black is just palin ugly to me. I think that many companies eat alot of the old colors in aplioances in the past';so i not sure they will really return except for washers and dryers.I mean who wants there refrigetator;dishwasheror stove to stickoput compared to the cabinets etc.

Old 04-11-2009, 10:57 PM

4,391 posts, read 9,466,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoymonkey View Post
Right now i have white appliances. For my next kitchen i do not want white (just want a change) and i dont like black. Im not a fan of having finger prints on stainless but im wondering about the newer/cheaper? stainless that is smudge proof. anyone have experience with that? maybe by then though, they'll probably come out with new colors, like they have for washers and dryers.
I don't blame you for getting tired of the white. My last two kitchens have been white and the house we bought that we will move to next year has white. For some reason I have always wanted black appliances with red accents...but have never gotten to have black. I wonder if they will come out with different colors. I remember years ago when I had white, but almond was the "in thing" and you had to have almond. (which to me just looked light beige)

Old 04-13-2009, 08:34 AM

26,585 posts, read 61,935,379 times
I had my choice of I don't even know how many kitchen options when we built the house. I didn't go with trendy, I went with what I liked, and what would be servicable to me. I chose Silestone over granite for the ability to repair it. I chose cherry cabinets because that's what appealed to me. I chose black appliances because I thought they looked better than overpriced stainless with the cherry, and I don't really like the paneled to match the cabinets look on appliances.

My washer/dryer pair are a medium grey--I chose that color because it hides the grime and dust that tend to accumulate in a laundry room.

Fads come and go, and when it's all said and done, it's more important to be able to live with your choice because you like it, not because that's what all the Jones' have.

Old 04-13-2009, 11:44 AM

1,788 posts, read 3,914,541 times
Granite is STONE, it is natural, beautiful and last forever. It is not a fad. That would be like stating that stone sculptures are so yesterday. Granite will always be popular, because it is real. Sure, it might be less popular along the way, but it will never be considered "yesterday"

Green shag rugs, lava lamps etc, sure, but not natural stone. It''s beauty is natural.

Old 04-13-2009, 11:47 AM

26,585 posts, read 61,935,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaCowboy View Post
Granite is STONE, it is natural, beautiful and last forever. It is not a fad. That would be like stating that stone sculptures are so yesterday. Granite will always be popular, because it is real. Sure, it might be less popular along the way, but it will never be considered "yesterday"

Green shag rugs, lava lamps etc, sure, but not natural stone. It''s beauty is natural.
Your opinion. I've seen many natural things fade out of style over the years.

Old 04-13-2009, 11:48 AM

3,983 posts, read 6,553,659 times
Quote:

Respectfully disagree. I have seem some pretty ugly granites out there that may have been nice in the 90's when pinks mixed with greys were nice, but I doubt people are flocking to those anymore. Frankly I worked in a building that was constructed in the late 80's and the entire exterior was pink granite. Let me tell you it was a pretty hidious building. I don't care if its "natural" or not. Fads come and go. Period

Old 04-13-2009, 11:52 AM

Location: Halfway between Number 4 Privet Drive and Forks, WA
1,516 posts, read 4,585,456 times
Quote:

Marble is natural, too, but you don't see people buying much of that these days...

Old 04-13-2009, 03:30 PM

1,788 posts, read 3,914,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PotterGeek View Post
Marble is natural, too, but you don't see people buying much of that these days...
Marble flooring and skink bowls and sculptures have NEVER been more popular then they are today!

The other poster is equating the color to the product itself. I have no doubt pink granite is not as popular as it was in the late 80's but earth colored granite is more then ever.

Granite along with all other natural stone products will always be in style. The colors, themes, shapes etc might change, but these products will stand the test of time as they are real and natural.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate