Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2009, 10:12 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,571,700 times

Advertisements

The housing crisis will, in time, help restore priorities.

It's fasinating that "green" is the current trend, and like all trends, has been designed to compel people to replace and waste.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2009, 10:47 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,656,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post

It's fasinating that "green" is the current trend, and like all trends, has been designed to compel people to replace and waste.
"Green" has been co-opted into a marketing term rather than a scientific one. If it ever meant something, it doesn't anymore.

Old 02-10-2009, 02:01 PM

Location: Halfway between Number 4 Privet Drive and Forks, WA
1,516 posts, read 4,584,285 times
I have white cabinets in my house now. I don't like them. Not so much because they're white, but because they are cheap. We are going to redo our kitchen and I will either put white wood cabinets (not the crappy pressed stuff I have) or brushed maple.

Old 02-10-2009, 05:20 PM

1,409 posts, read 5,241,456 times
Quote:

I haven't seen this, but I have seen people look at more Earth-friendly options when it has come time to replace something. I mean, who is going to tear up perfectly fine carpet and replace it with bamboo? Unless it is a person who is always chasing trends- they simply can't be helped.

Old 02-10-2009, 06:34 PM

9,471 posts, read 9,338,014 times
Default Bamboo doesn't wear well

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpsonDowns View Post
I haven't seen this, but I have seen people look at more Earth-friendly options when it has come time to replace something. I mean, who is going to tear up perfectly fine carpet and replace it with bamboo? Unless it is a person who is always chasing trends- they simply can't be helped.
I've read that bamboo floors dent easily and don't look good all that long. Anyone with any experience with bamboo?

Old 02-10-2009, 06:58 PM

3,191 posts, read 9,168,992 times
Quote:
Isn't that the truth MAM!! I have never understood why some feel the need to rip out working appliances( that aren't that old, just white or black or almond, flooring, counters, you name it based on TRENDS!!

And it bothers me to no end to see all that stuff going to the landfills. A lot can be donated to Goodwill, I think it is Restore?? and some other places take building related items. Also, that stuff can be sold/traded/given away on Craigslist, Freecycle, etc.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
Set a little money aside monthly so when it does break , you can pay maybe pay cash and not get further in debt

Buck the trends! be original

Old 02-10-2009, 08:48 PM

5,615 posts, read 14,759,253 times
I'll be going from white cabinets to... not sure (not granite +stainless). Maybe white cabinets again. It's too bad because they have decent doors. It's just that on the inside the chipboard isn't in such great shape, the hole for the microwave and oven only fits sizes that are no longer made and it's impossible to get anything in the corner section.

I don't know any specifics, only that I really don't like formica and corian, but do like glass tile on the backsplash.

Old 02-10-2009, 08:53 PM

4,391 posts, read 9,462,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
I've read that bamboo floors dent easily and don't look good all that long. Anyone with any experience with bamboo?
I come from a family where all my brothers do hardwood, tile, carpet etc. Bamboo is actually very strong. That is what we are getting ready to put in our home. There is horizontal and vertical. I like the looks of the vertical the best. You want to get the carmelized bamboo, where the color goes all the way through. We debated between solid wood and bamboo and my family of flooring professionals said go bamboo.

Old 02-10-2009, 09:08 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,281,002 times
Quote:

Green has been redefined by architects and designers to be what they want it to be just like organic was redefined by the USDA for big agribusiness.

Green is not about replacing and waste but sadly it's not being sold like that.

Old 02-11-2009, 08:22 AM

192 posts, read 720,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Green has been redefined by architects and designers to be what they want it to be just like ORGANIC was redefined by the USDA for big agribusiness.
Green is not about replacing and waste but sadly it's not being sold like that.

I was also going to mention the comparitive change in what the FDA now allows to be called organic. Walmart lobbied for higher levels of pesiticides to be able to be used and still be able to label their fruits and veggies organic. What a joke.

I think where the replacing and waste , wrongly asscociated with being green comes in, is where people are replacing things to bring in low to no VOC items for their health.

That is related to lowering chemical pollution within the home environment. The replace and waste aspect of it can be worse for the planet.

Low to no VOCs is a different market and trend. Research has shown that indoor air quality is typically 4-5 times more polluted then outdoor air quality. There is something to be said for making and buying products with low off gassing of VOCs for those sensitive to chemical pollutants.

It's more of a family health issue and has nothing to do with being environmentally green.

As people become more of aware of all the toxins they are being exposed too, in our food, water, air, home furnishings ect, low to no VOC products are a growing trend. Having them in your home, may hold added value to some at re-sale.

Bamboo flooring qualifies for being green in that it's easily renewable and saves the trees that clean up environmental air pollution, give the flora and fauna a place to thrive ect.

Researching it, I learned there is a poor quality bamboo flooring material out there that does wear horribly and a high quality flooring out there that endures far better then traditional hardwoods. If it's time to replace some old stained carpet and you are looking at bamboo, do your research and avoid the poor quality stuff.

This topic should be it's own thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate