Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2009, 09:13 AM

41,948 posts, read 75,144,160 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodbyehollywood View Post
A lot of people don't care for white appliances and they have very little "wow" factor with wood cabinets.
The only "wow" I want in my appliances is for them to work consistently and for a very long time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
Whatever you personally like in your own home is "in". [snip] My new red appliances are so easy to clean and they are just really cool! I love red!
Preach it, sister/brother! I'm mighty jealous of your red applicances, but when I redo my kitchen (Lord willing and the creek don't rise/job don't fail), I'm getting white cabinets, red Corian countertops, a grey slate floor and I will be in heaven! LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2009, 11:04 AM

4,391 posts, read 9,480,600 times
twinkle toes - there are actually appliances that are red, refrigerators, stoves etc? I thought they only made washers and dryers like that. Great to know....I am going to jump on that next time I buy... I am jealous!

Old 02-11-2009, 12:03 PM

34,917 posts, read 56,893,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
I've read that bamboo floors dent easily and don't look good all that long. Anyone with any experience with bamboo?
And don't get them wet!

Old 02-11-2009, 12:10 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,692,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
The only "wow" I want in my appliances is for them to work consistently and for a very long time.

Preach it, sister/brother! I'm mighty jealous of your red applicances, but when I redo my kitchen (Lord willing and the creek don't rise/job don't fail), I'm getting white cabinets, red Corian countertops, a grey slate floor and I will be in heaven! LOL
That does sound like heaven

My current kitchen is black and white - black major appliances, white cabinets and tile floors - and red counter-top appliances. Would love to upgrade to high gloss white cabinets and red counter-tops, either quartz or recycled glass, and add a red sink.
Stainless belongs in restaurants.

Old 02-11-2009, 12:39 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,707,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyma View Post

If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
Set a little money aside monthly so when it does break , you can pay maybe pay cash and not get further in debt

Buck the trends! be original

No doubt home equity loans funded the majority of major kitchen improvements. No doubt, home equity loans eventualy put millions of homeowners into upside down mortgage situations that did not have to be, had homeowners resisted being manipulated by home improvements trends designed to make consumers want new stuff.

The era of " doing without" has just begun.

Old 02-11-2009, 01:20 PM

41,948 posts, read 75,144,160 times
Quote:
No doubt home equity loans funded the majority of major kitchen improvements
I can't tell you how many offers a week I get for home equity loans. Leave me alone -- I put 35 percent down on my house for a reason! And that reason wasn't so I could borrow against it 18 months after moving in. Oy ...

Old 02-11-2009, 04:39 PM

194 posts, read 329,679 times
That article also mentioned that house size will trend towards smaller homes. Our first home is 1100sf, second 2200 sf, third 2800sf, fourth 4500sf, now 4800sf. Now we are looking at over 6000sf.

Old 02-11-2009, 05:18 PM

2,791 posts, read 10,805,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickrae View Post
twinkle toes - there are actually appliances that are red, refrigerators, stoves etc? I thought they only made washers and dryers like that. Great to know....I am going to jump on that next time I buy... I am jealous!
Luxury Ranges, Refrigeration, Kitchen Appliances : Aga

I would love to have these appliances!!

Old 02-12-2009, 06:16 AM

Location: Halfway between Number 4 Privet Drive and Forks, WA
1,516 posts, read 4,589,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereinDenver View Post
That article also mentioned that house size will trend towards smaller homes. Our first home is 1100sf, second 2200 sf, third 2800sf, fourth 4500sf, now 4800sf. Now we are looking at over 6000sf.

Our last house was 3200 sq ft. The house we just bought is just over 1900 sq ft. Family of four. I'm done throwing money away on heating and cooling spaces we don't use. My electric/gas bill is less than half of what it used to be. We're not wealthy, just your average working class family.

We've ditched the irrational exhuberance lifestyle. The SUV's are gone, too.

Old 02-12-2009, 07:15 AM

3,989 posts, read 6,573,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PotterGeek View Post
Our last house was 3200 sq ft. The house we just bought is just over 1900 sq ft. Family of four. I'm done throwing money away on heating and cooling spaces we don't use. My electric/gas bill is less than half of what it used to be. We're not wealthy, just your average working class family.

We've ditched the irrational exhuberance lifestyle. The SUV's are gone, too.
I think you'll see more people doing this over the next decade. Not only as the older generation ages will they want smaller homes for cost reasons, but I also think younger families who are in tune to what is going on economically will take this as a wake up call and think carefully about their spaces in their future. Lets face it, the cost of heating, electricity and maintaining a home isn't going to go down so I just don't see people continually buying into these large homes. I would rather spend my money on some nice vacations anyway!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate