Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2009, 05:26 PM

13 posts, read 61,754 times

Advertisements

i want to submit a backup offer on a home that is under contract and scheduled to close THIS WEEK; my realtor and husband think this is a DUMBASS idea.

aren't realtors obligated to submit offers to a seller right up until closing? what are the reasons for NOT submitting a backup offer? what are the chances that the closing will not happen?

i am PO-ed that we did not put an offer on this house and now nothing is on the market that comes close (and there's been nothing for months) and we are up against a deadline of january to buy b/c we have our lease expiring.

maybe if i submit a backup offer i could overtake the current offer????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2009, 05:30 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,304,124 times
With less than a week to go until closing you are unlikely to get the house, but it is not really for your realtor to say you're a "dumbass" for writing an offer. The worst that can happen (and the most likely scenario) is that the sale to the other buyer will close. But if it does not, you might have a shot.

I do not know what a realtor's obligation is; the seller can flat out refuse to entertain a backup offer or they could give it serious consideration, but right now their obligation is to their current buyer, not to you. I do not know what state you are in but in this state (to my knowledge) a seller cannot dump a buyer days before closing because a better offer comes in...not without serious legal consequences anyway.

Make the backup offer if you must, but keep looking. You are not likely to get this house.

Old 09-14-2009, 05:36 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,423,966 times
Even if your offer were higher than the current contract, that would not mean that you could "overtake" it. The seller cannot simply decide he doesn't want to be in the original contract because you make a better offer; he is just as contractually bound as the buyer is, and there are penalties for breaking the contract without good cause (and "got a better offer after accepting the first one" is not legally good cause).

So, you can put in a back-up offer and if you really want to, your agent should comply, or cut you loose (yes, agents can fire clients, just like vice versa, and have been known to do so on occasion) so that another agent can do so. But do NOT put your hopes in it; the odds are very much against you.

Old 09-14-2009, 05:49 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,421,872 times
You can make the offer, but besure that you understand the reason for the first deal falling apart - if it is due to appraisal being too low (still pretty common) you are going to have to deal with a larger down payment to close the gap. Can you do that? Is it smart?

Personally I would shop more aggressively and do some real soul searching to make sure that the only reason you want to make the "back up offer" is not due to the fact that it is so unlikely you will get that house -- there is a weird psychology that sometimes makes do things that we know are not going to work out...

Old 09-14-2009, 06:02 PM

11,874 posts, read 11,050,220 times
stuckindenial, you've received some very good advice here. I'm sure the right home is out there for you, but the chances of the current transaction falling through the week of closing are slim to none.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate