Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2009, 10:04 AM

945 posts, read 1,981,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PghREA View Post
Talk about a paranoid society we live in. Radon levels have probably always existed in our enviornment, since before most of us were born.

This is true, however, back in the old days homes were not as well insulated and basements were not turned into finished game rooms. Better insulation and the insulation/finished ceiling and materials that are used to convert basements into living spaces have "trapped the radon gas" creating higher levels of radon in the space.

In my area, we routinely have high levels of radon and to most buyers, it is no big deal if mitigated.
Still a bunch of money making hogwash. And no big deal, if mitigated at who's expense? The seller, right? I think that's a big deal. If the BUYERS are that worried about it, then mitigate it themselves. As mentioned, it's costly, another "test" put forward to "compromise closings" and a way to "deal" for more money off on the home. I would wager that if this whole "radon thing" was never set up as a "seller" responsibility where mitigation is concerned, it would have gone nowhere fast. Radon testing has become popular only in the less than 5 years, in our area. I don't know how RE market survived without them. Houses with finished basements or not, my point was more spelled out in the post above. Radon should be measured on a fixed number, for the WHOLE house. Truth is, if they sealed the sump pump, I'm sure even the basement would fall below the 4.0 standard. And truthfully, until a few years ago, no one even thought about it, until some "article was published" in some "Green magazine" that said- "danger", we have to make sure the Radon levels are safe in our homes. but I will say this and on topic- it does not affect the value of the home price. Not around here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2009, 11:39 AM

897 posts, read 2,817,216 times
We had radon mitigation in our GA home (walkout basement) and our OH house (interior-only entry basement). In the GA home it was installed by the previous buyer because levels were a bit high and at the time their was a supposed "radon craze" where everyone was scared, much like what has been going on with the granite countertops.

In our OH house it was installed when the house was built because the basement was completey underground and only has casement windows and probably was "code". We have been told that this time of year, when there is snow on the ground, the levels can get higher.

I understand the cause for concern. However, if you live 24/7 in your basement and never see the light of day, then I might be worried. Were exposed to so many cancer causing agents on a daily basis anyway.

Old 11-19-2010, 06:59 PM

1 posts, read 8,536 times
I think you should check a website called cansar.org for people who have gotten lung cancer due to radon, it is pretty sad to read their repeated stories and the levels of radon they found in their houses after their death. also, look at the EPA website, radon is the second lung cancer death cause after tobacco. It is a real threat, unless you are one of those who still believes global warming a hoax.

Old 11-20-2010, 03:24 PM

4,705 posts, read 25,191,713 times
This is a pretty old thread. Fairmarket is so off the mark its not funny. I started testing for radon in 1994.
I'm not sure the EPA is a green magazine, pretty sure its not.
Just because you haven't heard about it before does not mean it didn't exist.
But this is a really old post, and Fair, is likely not going to be back looking at it.

Old 11-20-2010, 06:48 PM

2,418 posts, read 3,540,938 times
I will post on this old thread as well. We bought a home this past summer that tested positive for radon in the basement, arsenic in the well. I was worried about controlling it as well as resale value. Anytime, I've bought a home, I am always thinking ahead for resale. This house had mulitple offers on it. We did have an osmosis system put in as well as a radon system. I live in Maine and both of these problems are quite common. So far, so good with the systems in place.

Old 11-21-2010, 08:39 PM

359 posts, read 1,115,022 times
Radon was elevated in the home I recently purchased. Seller (even with a short sale) had a mitigation system installed. As far as I'm concerned problem solved. I was planning on finishing the basement and my son and his friends are down there all the time so whether or not it's hogwash....well like I said it is now a non issue.

One thing I did do was have the sump pump replaced (at my expense) before it was installed to make sure it was in good working order before it was sealed up and I did have a say in how they ran the exhaust pipes so it didn't stick out like a sore thumb against an all red brick home.

PS - One of the posters above indicated that if the buyer wants it replaced they can pay for it.....although I was prepared for that because it was a short sale they didn't even hesitate and had it installed the next day. I didn't ask for any other repairs. Had it been a normal sale no way I was gonna pay for that.....their "defect" imagined or not is their problem. They would have had to disclose it to each buyer after me had I walked.

Old 11-25-2010, 09:55 PM

4,705 posts, read 25,191,713 times
An added note. When a house has high levels of radon, AND ITS ON A WELL, then the water should also be tested for radon (since radon is a gas in the ground).

Old 11-25-2010, 10:46 PM

914 posts, read 4,433,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fairmarketvalue View Post
I think the entire "randon" issue is another way for someone to make money! Now, randon tests (which are expensive!) are done as regularly as home inspections, when buying a home. The national allowed level is 4.0. They test all levels of the house, including basement where sump pump is. If no basement/sump pump, you'll be fine. In IL, most homes have both these, and even when the levels pass at 2.0 or below in the main and upper levels, if basement is 4.2, they say mitigation is needed. This costs $1,200-over $2,000, depending on which "rip off" company gets hired. They will not take an average either, meaning if home was below, as a whole, they will not average the 3 numbers. If they did, no one would have levels above the EPA standard 4.0. Anyway, I know, because we went through this when we sold our home. Those 3 numbers were 1.7, 2.0, and 4.2, accordingly. Average would have been 2.6, well below the LOW 4.0 the EPA sets.
It doesn't work to average the radon numbers on different floors to get a "total" reading. Radon is heavier than air, so the basement (or the lowest level if there isn't one) is really what counts. And actually, a public health official would tell you it is pointless to test anything but the lowest level.

Radon is a concern. It is a known carcinogen (it is the result of very slow radioactive decay in the ground), and it is true that it has been associated strongly with lung cancer. One of the reasons why radon is becoming more of an issue is that our homes are becoming more energy efficient, trapping radon inside more readily. That said, radon becomes totally harmless if vented to the open air. If someone in the OP's situation is concerned, they should get it checked to make sure the system is working properly, but as others have said, radon problems are common, so the presence of a system to mitigate it isn't a bad thing, it's a good thing.

Old 11-26-2010, 02:25 PM

948 posts, read 2,780,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingover View Post
If the disclosure papers for a house state that it has a radon control system, this implies that it has a radon problem, obviously.
If its litigated properly it means it doesn't have a problem. The problem is when it exists and a system needs to be put in. A house without a litigation system is more likely to have a problem than one with IMO.

Old 11-26-2010, 05:53 PM

6,175 posts, read 12,892,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric#1 View Post
If its litigated properly it means it doesn't have a problem. The problem is when it exists and a system needs to be put in. A house without a litigation system is more likely to have a problem than one with IMO.
We're going to assume you mean Mitigation system, which would remove the radon from the house. A litigation system would be what? Move an attorney into the house?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate