Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2009, 07:04 PM

2,771 posts, read 6,276,461 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by boocake View Post
I think the main issue here is that it feels unfair to me as a homeowner that someone can deduct a loss on stocks and other investments, but I can't on my primary home. Why?
Because you pay capital gains tax on stocks, but not on your primary residence.
Quote:
To discourage people from looking at their house as an investment in addition to a place of residence? That will never happen.
If it's an "investment", then they should pay the same taxes as on other investments. Also, if it's an "investment", then it's their responsibility when they lose money on it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2009, 07:18 PM

2,771 posts, read 6,276,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aneftp View Post
No there are real people who bring this type of money to the table. I am moving into a neighborhood in Florida. The home I was about to buy, the homeowners had to bring almost 160K to the table. They purchased at "peak" for 820k, put in another 50K in home additions. Now they are selling for 620K. Counting real estate commissions (5%), they are losing a lot of money. This was their primary home.

So losing over 250K is not funny to these people. This was not a short sale. These people were responsible, put a 20% downpayment and still lost a ton of money.
As much as I feel badly for them, if they could afford a 20% down payment on an 820k home, I don't think they need me (or other renters) to bail them out.

I don't know whether or not these people are "responsible". If they are responsible, then I presume they will accept responsibility for *their* bad investment instead of wanting to impose the tab on the tax payer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate