Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2009, 09:15 PM

737 posts, read 1,916,686 times

Advertisements

Is paying for an inspection on your own home ever done? I have no reason to think anything is wrong with my home, but it is about 85 years old. My concern would be I get it on the market, someone makes an offer, and their inspection finds a major problem. Then I have to hurry and make repairs or else lose the buyer. My thinking is that if I pay for my own inspection, if they happen to find something major, I can take care of it at my own pace, before putting the house on the market. And, if the inspection finds nothing, that would be a good marketing tool for the home.

Do people do this? Does it make sense to do? If it only costs around $200-300, it would provide some peace of mind going on the market. But..I don't know if that type of thing is even done
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2009, 09:23 PM

1,440 posts, read 4,417,044 times
Yes, it is done. Not a common thing in our market yet but a good idea that doesn't hurt. You can make corrections as needed on items found to be a problem. It may lead to some big surprises but better you find out first isn't it?

Old 02-21-2009, 09:30 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,400,512 times
I always recommend that my seller's get a pre-inspection for a couple of reasons. One, and primary, if there's something major they don't know about (and it can happen), they'll find out about it in advance when they can decide what to do (have it repaired after getting multiple estimates, adjust the price to take it into account, whatever) when they're not under the pressure of the inspection period and think they already have a contract and have to make a decision with too little information and time to do it properly. I really don't like my clients having nasty surprises, and this is just one way to avoid them.

For another, it allows them the opportunity to get the house into the best possible shape for being put on the market. It also allows the house to be marketed as "pre-inspected", giving it an edge (at least until everybody catches on and starts doing it).

So, yes, your thinking is right in line with what I've observed and I think it's an excellent idea.

Old 02-21-2009, 09:57 PM

2,203 posts, read 9,321,880 times
What TexasHorseLady said. (I tried to give you rep points, THL, but evidently you've been on my thumb's up list lately)

Old 02-21-2009, 10:06 PM

3,320 posts, read 5,595,060 times
It's not commonly done if much at all where I reside and I hope it stays that way! I don't like it for a few reasons:

1. Why fix it if it ain't broken? This is a fairly new way to do things and I like the traditional one where the buyer pays...it shows they are really interested in your house in most cases.

2. If I as a buyer found a house where the seller had performed one, I would wonder what they were worried about!

3. As a recent seller our buyer requested nada after they had their inspection, so with that luck, why mess with a good system

Old 02-21-2009, 10:22 PM

43,284 posts, read 77,104,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gold*dust1 View Post
It's not commonly done if much at all where I reside. I don't like it for a few reasons:

1. Why fix it if it ain't broken? This is a fairly new way to do things and I like the traditional one where the buyer pays...it shows they are really interested in your house in most cases.
Don't confuse a proactive Seller's inspection with the Buyer's right and responsibility to perform due diligence on the property.
When performing proper due diligence, the buyer still pays. The buyer always has the right to do an inspection and most inspection reports make no representation to anyone but the person who pays for it.
The Seller inspection with repairs is a powerful tool to avoid having a home go under contract and be puked back onto the market a few weeks later due to condition of the property. That puking is poison to Sellers whose next buyer has to be convinced even more that the home is worthy to buy after extended Days on Market and a failed contract after an inspection.

Quote:
2. If I as a buyer found a house where the seller had performed one, I would wonder what they were worried about!
The owner of that 85 year old home may be worried about stuff they have no idea about, and would like to be proactive about diagnosis and contracting for proper repairs rather than the hurry up stuff that happens in a <30 day closing sequence with a Buyer inspection built in.
In North Carolina, our Realtor forms offer the Buyer an escape if a quote for repairs is more than a specified, negotiated amount. Making good repairs without the pressure of a contract puts the Seller in the driver's seat, and takes $$$ off the buyer's inspection report. Those are $$$ that may be used to trigger the Cost of Repair Contingency.

Quote:
3. As a recent seller our buyer requested nada after they had their inspection, so with that luck, why mess with a good system
"With luck." Luck is "when preparation meets opportunity." On an 85 year old home, a pre-listing inspection with deficiencies repaired is preparation. And, "the harder we work, the luckier we get..."

Enough deals fall apart over property condition that the NC Association of Realtors in 2008 put a brief paragraph into the standard "Exclusive Right to Sell" listing agreement that addresses the fact that the agent should at least visit on the benefits of properly preparing a home for market.

Old 02-21-2009, 10:42 PM

3,320 posts, read 5,595,060 times
[quote=MikeJaquish;7571274]Don't confuse a proactive Seller's inspection with the Buyer's right and responsibility to perform due diligence on the property.

I am not confused about that at all, what gives you that idea? I realize a buyer could still perfrom their own inspection.

"With luck." Luck is "when preparation meets opportunity."

I guess you have your interpretation of luck and I have mine, so we will have to agree to disagree. I wouldn't hire an agent who demanded I pre-inspect. Our agent liked the old school way of doing things in many respects, so I guess we meshed on that level. Luck in our case was really the fact that the buyer found nothing needing attention. Our house is 50 years old. Now if I as a seller knew a blatant "problem" existed in my home it would be disclosed.

Enough deals fall apart over property condition that the NC Association of Realtors in 2008 put a brief paragraph into the standard "Exclusive Right to Sell" listing agreement that addresses the fact that the agent should at least visit on the benefits of properly preparing a home for market.

I was stating my opinion on the matter not telling the OP what direction they should take. Our agent certainly did "visit" the benefits of properly preparing our home for market and never mentioned performing a pre-inspection.

Last edited by gold*dust1; 02-21-2009 at 11:05 PM..

Old 02-22-2009, 12:38 AM

10,965 posts, read 21,983,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
I always recommend that my seller's get a pre-inspection for a couple of reasons. One, and primary, if there's something major they don't know about (and it can happen), they'll find out about it in advance when they can decide what to do (have it repaired after getting multiple estimates, adjust the price to take it into account, whatever) when they're not under the pressure of the inspection period and think they already have a contract and have to make a decision with too little information and time to do it properly. I really don't like my clients having nasty surprises, and this is just one way to avoid them.

For another, it allows them the opportunity to get the house into the best possible shape for being put on the market. It also allows the house to be marketed as "pre-inspected", giving it an edge (at least until everybody catches on and starts doing it).

So, yes, your thinking is right in line with what I've observed and I think it's an excellent idea.
I agree. Couldn't rep you THL.

Old 02-22-2009, 07:18 AM

121 posts, read 415,092 times
Default wish we did

I wish we did first...especially the water test....I would do radon and full water tests so you are not suprised with the results, and then, as other people have said, you can take your time to properly research it and get a few quotes and not be in rush mode before closing.

Old 02-22-2009, 08:45 AM

8,189 posts, read 31,233,542 times
As a buyer I would like to see "pre-inspected" on a listing. If nothing else I would know that things were either fixed or disclosed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate