Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2009, 02:07 PM

960 posts, read 1,162,321 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PotterGeek View Post
While it's true even one foreclosure can be a blight on any subdivision/neighborhood, they're still not typically used as true comps for determing value. Not unless there's a certain percentage of foreclosures in the neighborhood.
Only in sellers' dreams.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2009, 02:10 PM

1,340 posts, read 3,696,875 times
Quote:
While it's true even one foreclosure can be a blight on any subdivision/neighborhood, they're still not typically used as true comps for determing value. Not unless there's a certain percentage of foreclosures in the neighborhood.
I am done even discussing this. They affect house prices. Simple as that. You can make up new terms "true comps" to get yourself out of this but in reality they count. The more there are the more they drag down prices.

Old 02-25-2009, 02:13 PM

Location: Halfway between Number 4 Privet Drive and Forks, WA
1,516 posts, read 4,589,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean&diane View Post
I think it is a mis-representation to categorize the drop in prices as being attributable to foreclosures. What is causing the drop in prices is an imbalance of supply and demand. The demand is less than supply because there have been changes in mortgage standards that results in less people qualifying. Foreclosures are the symptom that the mortgage standards used in the last 5 years were faulty. You can tell from this post and many others that private owners are slow to adjust their price to the market. That doesn't happen with banks selling foreclosures, so foreclosures are correcting to the market level much faster.

If there is never another foreclosure, prices will continue to drop until they hit their historic norms relative to income because you now need good credit and real cash to buy a house - thus, limiting the supply. I read an article the other day that wages were flat from 2000 to 2006 - if wages were flat, housing prices should have been as well. So correcting to 2000 prices is not unrealistic and perhaps expected.

I laugh when I see people arguing over whether or not foreclosures should be included with comps to do appraisals. It is an academic argument - no one ever lived through a market like this or anticipated one when they were writing standards on pulling comps. The reality is that you are kidding yourself if you don't think you are competing with them.

Competing with foreclosures? Sure. But they're still not considered true comps (as explained before). I'm sorry that's not what you want to hear.

Old 02-25-2009, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatasNJ View Post
I am done even discussing this. They affect house prices. Simple as that. You can make up new terms "true comps" to get yourself out of this but in reality they count. The more there are the more they drag down prices.

And you can go on denying the facts but that won't get you in a house any quicker...

BTW, I thought you were hip on re terms. "True comps" is not made up nor is it a new term.

I explained it before, if you don't get it, ask your realtor.

Old 02-25-2009, 02:17 PM

I think I'm beginning to see why there are alot of frustrated buyers out there....

Old 02-25-2009, 02:20 PM

Quote:
And you can go on denying the facts but that won't get you in a house any quicker...

BTW, I thought you were hip on re terms. "True comps" is not made up nor is it a new term.

I explained it before, if you don't get it, ask your realtor.
Your facts are "it is real estate 101". Please...

Oh yeah I can ask a realtor who will say .... "it is real estate 101".

Got to give me more than that.

Old 02-25-2009, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Competing with foreclosures? Sure. But they're still not considered true comps (as explained before). I'm sorry that's not what you want to hear.
How do you compete with foreclosures?

My guess is PRICE!

Old 02-25-2009, 02:22 PM

897 posts, read 2,824,085 times
Quote:
If the majority of homes sold in your neighborhood are foreclosures, then sure they have an effect. I am starting to think this is another area of "disconnect" that buyers are having trouble with.

Old 02-25-2009, 02:23 PM

Quote:
How do you compete with foreclosures?

My guess is PRICE!
Or you can go buy the dilapidated foreclosure "comp" (as you would like to call it) that has been sitting unmaintained for 2+ years for $30k less than my well maintained, pristine home that is move in ready.

See that argument goes both ways...

Old 02-25-2009, 02:28 PM

When an appraiser pulls comps for a bank loan, he/she is usually privy to information regarding if it was a foreclosure. Unless the neighborhood has alot of foreclosed sold properties, those foreclosed "comps" will be excluded in determining value.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate