Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2009, 01:04 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,731,596 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by buyerbuyerpantsonfire View Post
This is what I've found out, so it's not really a buyer's market.
There are a heck of a lot of sellers with equity in their homes ( at least in my area) who want their price more so than getting sold. I suspect they will eventually tire and stay put, reducing the inventory of homes and allowing recovery to begin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2009, 01:09 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,731,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatasNJ View Post
The walking away from mortgages I think is the BIG fear especially with all the OPTIONS resetting in 2010-2011.
This assumes massive unemployment and/or they have some place to go.

If so many revert back to or stay put in rentals, demand could exceed supply in some areas causing rents to increase which helps the market to recover.

Old 02-25-2009, 01:16 PM

128 posts, read 467,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyma View Post
true... but IMHO you better hope you have a solid landlord that will pay those taxes and do maintenance and repairs to HIS property.
This scares me a lot. Currently we are renting a nice house with responsible landlords, but they can always raise the rent or put the house on the market or move in when our lease ends this spring. I worry about moving into another rental if I had to- not just foreclosures and getting evicted but also having to deal with house showings since many rentals are simply unsold houses with involuntary landlords. Plus, moving is expensive!

Old 02-25-2009, 01:19 PM

1,340 posts, read 3,697,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
This assumes massive unemployment and/or they have some place to go.

If so many revert back to or stay put in rentals, demand could exceed supply in some areas causing rents to increase which helps the market to recover.
No it doesn't. The reports I read reference people who bought in 2005-2006 (THE PEAK in most areas) with ARMS and little or NO money down.
Their payments are low still since they are locked into the intro rates, etc...

Well the problem is going to occur when their rates jump a LOT. When this happens they owner will have to decide to sell the house or refi. Guess what? The house can't be refi'd since it is worth $100K less than what they paid for it. So refinacing is not feasible.

Sell it then. Guess what? Can't. It is worth $100k less than what they paid for i. So selling isn't an option.

They can pay the new mortgage or go rent the same house across the street for much cheaper. So their best option is to walk away. Even the people who put down a small % will walk since they are so upside down that walking away makes the most sense EVEN if they can afford to keep the house.

Would you continue to pay on a $500k mortgage (even if you could afford it) when your house is worth $350k and losing value monthly? Most people won't.

And if you haven't looked lately unemployment is massive and growing. Expected to be in the 9-10% range by years end.

Old 02-25-2009, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Well the problem is going to occur when their rates jump a LOT. When this happens they owner will have to decide to sell the house or refi. Guess what? The house can't be refi'd since it is worth $100K less than what they paid for it. So refinacing is not feasible..
Isn't that what the Obama money is for? Helping underwater mortgage owners refi?

Old 02-25-2009, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Isn't that what the Obama money is for? Helping underwater mortgage owners refi?
Nope. If you are value to loan is greater than 105% then no help for you. At least that was what was initially mentioned a week or so ago...

And you still have to be able to pay for the home with the new rates. And you being able to pay must fit in some formula of income/debt ratio.
AND you have to be under Fannie Mae type backed loans.

LOTS OF IF's.... And doesn't help the underwater people unless you are close to the surface.

Old 02-25-2009, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Nope. If you are value to loan is greater than 105% then no help for you. At least that was what was initially mentioned a week or so ago...

And you still have to be able to pay for the home with the new rates. And you being able to pay must fit in some formula of income/debt ratio.
AND you have to be under Fannie Mae type backed loans.

LOTS OF IF's.... And doesn't help the underwater people unless you are close to the surface.
Ah, OK. Thanks.

Old 02-25-2009, 01:33 PM

960 posts, read 1,163,018 times
Quote:
Would you continue to pay on a $500k mortgage (even if you could afford it) when your house is worth $350k and losing value monthly? Most people won't.
Agreed. It will become more socially acceptable to walk away, esp. with banks & big business getting bailed out by taxpayers (only to throw lavish parties!).

Last edited by Heiwos; 02-25-2009 at 01:45 PM..

Old 02-25-2009, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Ah, OK. Thanks.
I think all the DETAILS are expected March 4th on his plan.

Old 02-25-2009, 01:43 PM

960 posts, read 1,163,018 times
Quote:
This scares me a lot. Currently we are renting a nice house with responsible landlords, but they can always raise the rent or put the house on the market or move in when our lease ends this spring. I worry about moving into another rental if I had to- not just foreclosures and getting evicted but also having to deal with house showings since many rentals are simply unsold houses with involuntary landlords. Plus, moving is expensive!
I've moved twice in the last year, so I can relate. I wouldn't worry too much about rent increases; rents will go down for a couple years probably as more potential sellers decide to rent rather than sell at a deep discount. Your landlord will have the same incentive to keep renting out. Rents are down at least 5% in the last year in my area. Many landlords have a very long term view of the housing market--they think it'll come roaring back eventually, as it always has before.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate