Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2009, 01:34 PM

15,575 posts, read 40,425,076 times

Advertisements

In Oregon you would have to disclose that the house had been a meth lab, and required to present any future buyers with the certificate that it had been cleaned up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2009, 03:56 PM

132 posts, read 346,977 times
Don't forget to factor in the possibility that some unsavory types may not have received word that the place was raided and shut down....you don't want some strung out wacko knocking on your door at 3am wanting to party. And who won't take no for an answer.....

Old 02-27-2009, 06:08 AM

15 posts, read 49,306 times
A former user showing up looking to score, was also on the back on my mind.

Poltracker: Thank you for the link. The site also has some good links as well. The one thing that is lacking in all my research is the long term effect of living in a house that has been through remediation. Will the chemicals bleed through the paint? What happens if I poke a hole in the wall?

I am playing phone tag with the Office of Environmental Health and Safety. It will be interesting to see what the EPA comes us with.

-JJ

Old 02-27-2009, 06:15 AM

2,637 posts, read 12,630,802 times
Quote:
The one thing that is lacking in all my research is the long term effect of living in a house that has been through remediation.
No one will know until lots of people have lived for a long time in such properties. Do you really want to be the guinea pig?

Old 02-27-2009, 07:51 AM

3,702 posts, read 18,212,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjthomas View Post
A former user showing up looking to score, was also on the back on my mind.

Poltracker: Thank you for the link. The site also has some good links as well. The one thing that is lacking in all my research is the long term effect of living in a house that has been through remediation. Will the chemicals bleed through the paint? What happens if I poke a hole in the wall?

I am playing phone tag with the Office of Environmental Health and Safety. It will be interesting to see what the EPA comes us with.

-JJ

tilli has a good point. Having just studied this very topic for a presentation, I found very little published scientific literature about long term contamination effects of meth or its components and intermediaries in a residential setting. The best one can do is find info on the individual components and look at health effect screening levels and various long-term studies on those.

My feeling is that if the house has been deconned adequately and thoroughly, it is probably safe to inhabit. By thoroughly, I mean that samples indicate ND or not detectable levels for most of the chemicals. New carpet and paint would have some off-gassing so ND might be stretching it depending on the circumstances. Most of the chemicals involved do not have "staying power" for a long length of time and have time-proven methods for deconatmination. This does not account for unseen damages caused by some of the chems such as corrossives on the physical structure of the house. Very little could cause damage to things like plumbing, HVAC systems, appliances, and electrical wiring. The best indicator would be post-decon testing and inspection. I would certainly recommend that you have someone competent look the house over and take samples (including soil) to prove it was clean. I would also look up any police reports and see the descriptions of where exactly the lab was in the house and pay particular attention to those areas.

Old 02-27-2009, 09:23 AM

1,024 posts, read 4,138,765 times
Here in Washington state the sellers have to disclose if a structure was ever used as a meth production facility.

Old 02-27-2009, 12:08 PM

394 posts, read 1,048,999 times
All in all, it seems too risky. Why chance it?

Old 02-27-2009, 01:52 PM

5,615 posts, read 14,790,688 times
6 years should be long enough for the residual chemicals to have dispersed. They're fairly volatile from what I've read, which helps. To be honest, if you replace carpet or do other work you'll bring in other trace chemicals (formaldehyde, other VOCs, ...) that would probably be present in larger amounts than whatever is left from the lab 6 years ago anyway.

The bigger point to consider is whether you would have to disclose the past lab years down the road when you sell. Sometimes things fall off after two owners, in other states they don't. You'll have to do some homework to see how your state works.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate