Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2013, 12:06 PM

6,474 posts, read 10,341,133 times

Advertisements

This whole back and forth debate about radon and the health risks reminds me of the never-ending debate about cell phones and the risk of radiation. There are no clear facts, only opinions. It all comes down to what risks each user feels comfortable with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2013, 06:52 PM

4,705 posts, read 25,294,975 times
Geoluk - you need to get a little more education about radon before calling radon a hoax.
You do realize that that radon levels are typically highest win basement homes, next highest in slab homes, and least high in crawlspace homes.
The reason???? Basements have much more soil contact than slabs, and crawlspaces typically have built in vents that allow the radon to flow out of the crawlspace instead of into the home. That is not to say that a crawlspace can't have high levels (because they can), its just that they will be lower than a basement or slab home in the same spot.

Old 06-20-2014, 11:29 AM

3 posts, read 9,021 times
why pay for mitigation system, is anyone familiar with a ceiling fan or fan with a positive ion generator. I heard this is an inexpensive method that mitigation installers don't want you to know. Anyone familiar with this method?

Old 06-20-2014, 11:38 AM

4,566 posts, read 10,653,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomdan View Post
Anyone familiar with this method?
They have serious health risks. They should only be used in vacant buildings.

Old 06-23-2014, 06:42 AM

You can actually buy standing fan with a positive ion generator and fan systems with negative ion generator for air cleaning is quite common. Its a proved method for Radon removal just wanted to know if anyone other than Canada, Denmark and Finland has had success.

Old 06-23-2014, 01:15 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,650,355 times
If you stayed in the highest concentrated radon + room without ventilation and close to the floor for yrs I'd be worried. I tend to think it's a real risk, but highly exaggerated.

Old 06-25-2014, 09:07 PM

80 posts, read 108,766 times
I'm from a high radon area of the UK.

I have never heard of anyone mitigating nor suffering from associated ill-effects.

Old 06-25-2014, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanzakura View Post
I'm from a high radon area of the UK. I have never heard of anyone mitigating nor suffering from associated ill-effects.
Its called lung cancer. People dont say they died of radon, they say lung cancer.

43,463 people in the UK were diagnosed with lung cancer in 2011.
35,184 deaths from lung cancer in the UK in 2011.

Cigarette smoking is by far the most common cause of lung cancer, but radon is the second leading cause.

Old 06-26-2014, 11:23 AM

Point made. however, its highly exaggerated you don't see commercials or anything for that matter indicating radon causes cancer. Other than relators and those that reek the benefit that's because its not proven, but I agree better safe than sorry. EPA is currently conducting more tests since they have been proven incorrect by scientist. Miners definitely suffered but you can't compare mining to a residential home, that is silly.

Old 06-26-2014, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomdan View Post
Miners definitely suffered but you can't compare mining to a residential home, that is silly.
Lets say my home has very low levels of radon and next door, your home has high levels. Every house is different and has different minerals under it. Its possible your house could have even higher than the mines. You never know unless you test. So its not silly.

Although some scientists dispute the precise number of deaths due to radon, all the major health organizations (like the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the American Lung Association and the American Medical Association) agree with estimates that radon causes thousands of preventable lung cancer deaths every year.

How does a realtor benefit?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate