Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2009, 02:23 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,468,992 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairmarketvalue View Post

As to Radon- non existant where disclosure, etc. were concerned, at least in IL, and until we sold in 2008, had never been done, on either end in any of our previous homes since 1988. It became a BIG hot button only even in the last couple of years around here, so to say 5 was generous.
I last sold my own home in Illinois in 1995. The buyers performed a Radon test. I was not " in the businees" at the time and it was the first time I had heard of this. We passed the test but had to pull out the massive drained and inspected fuel tanks that had been in the basement for decades prior, as a condition of the sale.

It's always something. Now that I am a Realtor, I will pay for a pre sale home inspection ( at closing) so that the seller can address issues that will probably bite them without a loaded gun pointed at their head.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2009, 02:26 PM

1,336 posts, read 1,524,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heiwos View Post
Too late, he's already canceled Bush's arms/space race with Russia and China, saving more $$$ than he'll likely spend in all 8 years. Speaking of Mars, I expect him to also cancel Bush's $10 trillion Mission for Halliburton to Bring Back Some Rocks from Mars. Speaking of Halliburton, Obama cancelled Bush's no-bid contract scheme that resulted in overpayments of hundreds of $billions.
$10 trillion? You're pulling numbers out of your butt now. The first Obama bailout is more expenisve than the entire Iraq War.

Old 03-08-2009, 02:37 PM

960 posts, read 1,156,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeeee22895 View Post
$10 trillion? You're pulling numbers out of your butt now. The first Obama bailout is more expenisve than the entire Iraq War.
The Mars mission would've been mostly no-bid contracts, with massive overpayments to all the usual suspects, so $10 trillion might be understated. Unlike the Iraq war or the Mars mission, Obama's bailout actually does stuff the public needs, like fix roads. The $27 billion to fix roads has a negative net cost. There's fluff in his package too, which is disconcerting. Unfortunately not all Democrats are liberals.

Old 03-09-2009, 02:39 AM

8,954 posts, read 4,255,214 times
While this can be difficult when discussing economy, please leave any references to politics out of this forum.

Old 03-09-2009, 04:38 PM

1,336 posts, read 1,524,327 times
I wonder why you can't just plug a $12 electric fan from Wal Mart in front of the vent in the dirt-floor part of the house and say "there's your mitigation"? If it changes the readings, it should be fine.

OH WAIT. Then the "EPA-certified and credentialed Professional Radon Mitigator" couldn't collect his $800. For what? Putting in a little fan.

Old 03-09-2009, 05:35 PM

4,705 posts, read 25,197,286 times
Default WalMart fan

Very interesting! I'm guessing if you plug in the fan BEFORE the house is tested, then it might come back low - so NO PROBLEM.

However, as a home inspector, I would have a problem with a household fan sitting in a crawlspace. Chances are, it wouldn't be rated for that, use, so I would probably make note of it for that reason.

But, they do make fans for crawlspaces, so you could install one and make your own radon reduction system. Kind of a low tech version. Just couldn't call it a radon system.

An interesting side benefit with a radon mitigation system........it generally reduces the humidity in a basement. Most houses that have a de-humidifier running will find they can take them out once the mitigation system is up and running. (Just a little factoid - no extra charge for the info).

Old 03-10-2009, 09:08 AM

3,631 posts, read 14,514,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barking Spider View Post
An interesting side benefit with a radon mitigation system........it generally reduces the humidity in a basement. Most houses that have a de-humidifier running will find they can take them out once the mitigation system is up and running. (Just a little factoid - no extra charge for the info).
You know, I think you are quite right.

Our home had a passive system built in [county code requirement since 93] but the level was 3.7 and we convinced the seller we still wanted the levels lowered to buy the house..

...actually what we did was opted out of the contract during the 10 day post inspection period because of the radon and small cracks in the ceramic tile [which cost the seller about $5000 to replace with the proper underlayment and thinset] and they really wanted to sell the house and came back agreeing to do those things. Standard contract would not have required either repair.

A fan was put on the radon vent pipe [money out of closing but work done after closing] we had monitored humidity levels in the house during times of heavy rainfall for days on end and it is significantly lower during rainy weather now. And the fan is a lot cheaper to run than a dehumidifier would be. We were going to buy one but I don't think we need to.

Old 03-11-2009, 03:11 AM

140 posts, read 540,971 times
Radon - Mold - lead in paint - what next?

Most of it is unscientific and unproven - propagated by the mitigation companies.

Lead in paint - don't let kids chew on painted surfaces - never a good idea - with or without lead.

Radon is everywhere - don't spend so much time in your basement - never a good idea anyways.

Mold is everywhere - get rid of the moisture and you get rid of the mold - besides blue cheese is very delicious.

Next problem!

Old 03-11-2009, 08:51 AM

4,705 posts, read 25,197,286 times
Have to say that to claim there is nothing scientific or proven about radon, lead and mold is pretty uninformed.

While mold and fungus have been around for centuries, there are some out there that can kill you. Some by eating them, some by breathing them. (see the Bible for some pretty accurate descriptions) Leviticus 14:33-54.
Of course, then the Priest was the main part of the mitigation, so I guess you can blame the Church for being behind the mold scare, if you will.

I'm pretty sure that the research in the health aspects of ingesting lead was also pretty exhaustive. They took the lead out of solder for water pipes a long time ago, as well as in paint. The danger is again, not only eating the stuff, but breathing it as well.

While, many here may dispute the research in the health risks of radon gas, it also was pretty exhaustive.

Some may chose to believe the research, and others may dispute it. Kind of like the "Weapons of Mass Destruction" thing.

Old 03-12-2009, 12:23 AM

960 posts, read 1,156,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barking Spider View Post
Some may chose to believe the research, and others may dispute it. Kind of like the "Weapons of Mass Destruction" thing.
That's the root of the problem. People lose trust in research. There is scientific evidence to support both sides of many conflicts. Usually one side's support comes from scientists they pay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate