Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-15-2009, 09:13 PM

27 posts, read 100,829 times

Advertisements

Hi Folks:

This is my first posting. Yeah.

I very recently began searching for a home to purchase. I say "very recent" because I have neither an agent nor have I applied for a loan. If I decide to be pre-approved for a loan, and I pay the necessary application fees, etc. what happens if within the term limit I don't find a house or my offer is declined? Will the lender extend the term or must I pay another application fee and the term re-clocks?

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2009, 10:54 PM

2,124 posts, read 8,816,722 times
what application fee? you can get pre-approved and don't have to pay a thing. Now, when you are ready to make formal application (after you find a house) there are some fees, like appraisal fee that you will need to pay up front. Most everything else will come out at closing.

Now, for expiration. If you get pre-approved today, and don't talk to your lender and call them 6 months from now, they may want to update their information... I would. and make sure nothing has changed. but as long as you are staying in contact and your file is staying active... you should be fine.

Finally, how are you going to find your real estate agent and/or your mortgage lender? Because it is time.

shelly

p.s. Welcome!! and congrats on your fist post. you did just fine : )

Old 10-16-2009, 08:23 AM

Thanks Shelly.From what I read on other websites the application for a pre-approved loans run anywhere from $300 to $350 for a pre-approved loan.The reason for my posting was that I wanted to get a good idea as to what I could expect if I obtained a pre-approved loan in parallel of retaining the services of a real estate agent. In particular if I don’t find a home within the term period of the loan would I be exposed to another application fee? It sounds like from your post if I find a home within a short period (2 or 3 months) from the end of the term period and nothing financially has changed adversely in my situation then I have a good chance that the lending institution may waive the fee. Does that read about right?My approach to finding an agent or broker is: (1) Lock in a general area where I want to live; (2) Seek referrals from friends, relatives, and close work associates; (3) Try to obtain an agent that serves and is located in the general area of where I want to live; and (4) Meet the agent and ask questions about their qualifications and experiences. Some of you may disagree with (3), but I feel that if an agent is somewhat familiar with the area that I want to live he/she will be more equipped with seeking the type of home that best matches my criteria. Any other recommendations?

Old 10-16-2009, 09:01 AM

11,815 posts, read 34,284,943 times
Generally your credit report will be re-pulled after 90 days and again prior to closing.

Old 10-16-2009, 09:30 AM

88,046 posts, read 83,895,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BNR_1 View Post
Hi Folks:

This is my first posting. Yeah.

I very recently began searching for a home to purchase. I say "very recent" because I have neither an agent nor have I applied for a loan. If I decide to be pre-approved for a loan, and I pay the necessary application fees, etc. what happens if within the term limit I don't find a house or my offer is declined? Will the lender extend the term or must I pay another application fee and the term re-clocks?

Thank you
There's no charge for a pre-approval, as someone already told you. I got a pre-approval in July. It is good until November, but I won't be ready to buy something before that--I've just started looking at different condo complexes. However, the guy told me not to worry about the expiration date. Unless something drastically changed with my credit, job or anything else that would change my financial situation, the pre-approval should be good and/or renewable. Good luck to us both!

Old 10-16-2009, 09:54 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,464,238 times
Differences in termionology, here, pre-approval versus pre-qualified.

Pre-approval means income and assets have been verified. The lender is able to make a soft commitment, subject to appraisal, underwriting and things within the borrow's control.

This requires the borrower to pay an application fee. The pre-approval has an expiration date at which time, the lender will minimally reverify the borrow's credit score.

Pre-approval, as defined, reduces the risk of the buyer's mortgage contingency to the seller. Reducing the seller's risk may give the buyer more negotiating power.

Any reluctance to get pre-approved, as defined, is a red flag for me. I do not work with buyers who need financing, unless they are pre-approved, as defined.

Last edited by middle-aged mom; 10-16-2009 at 10:07 AM..

Old 10-16-2009, 10:07 AM

930 posts, read 1,810,839 times
we originally got pre-appoved in January 2009 . it was a 4 month term. we had to have it extended twice before we finally were able to get to the point of actual loan application. each time the only charge was for the bank to pull credit reports, $14 per person.

Old 10-16-2009, 12:11 PM

"This requires the borrower to pay an application fee. The pre-approval has an expiration date at which time, the lender will minimally reverify the borrow's credit score.

Pre-approval, as defined, reduces the risk of the buyer's mortgage contingency to the seller. Reducing the seller's risk may give the buyer more negotiating power."

This was my understanding of pre-approved thus the question of application fee and extending the term period after expiring. Thanks for verifying.

Old 10-16-2009, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvc8 View Post
we originally got pre-appoved in January 2009 . it was a 4 month term. we had to have it extended twice before we finally were able to get to the point of actual loan application. each time the only charge was for the bank to pull credit reports, $14 per person.

Good to know. Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate