U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2009, 11:52 PM

584 posts, read 1,978,665 times

Advertisements

We are trying to make our house "sell appealing", fixing things, cleaning things, painting things, the normal stuff you do to make your house appealing to the general public that might want to buy it. Anyway......

The next door neighbors are trashing their front yard right up against our front yard and driveway. Looks terrible from the street approaching the houses. Is there anything I can do on my property to take away the focus on their crap? They park their cars in their lawn right next to our front yard and driveway.

P.S. Before anyone suggests it....no, the neighbors are rude and don't like us and would NOT help out. They did a lot like that against our yard, which makes it look like their crap is our crap. They also put up a ugly tall shed against our privacy fence, their basketball hoop at times blocks our driveway, and they rake their leaves and trash into our yard (where the two yards connect). We are on a cul-de-sac and have the corner largest lot, a huge front yard.

Any real suggestions that don't involve them would be great.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2009, 05:49 AM

3,702 posts, read 17,246,646 times
Contact your local code enforcement officers. Sounds like they may be breaking a few rules like set back (the shed), parking, etc. Of course that depends on the codes in your area, but it is worth a try to get it cleaned up.

Old 03-06-2009, 06:08 AM

1,380 posts, read 5,547,597 times
Is it possible to plant along the property line. Vegetation does a lot to soften the view, and if you choose the right mix of plants it can enhance your property. Since you don't have time for landscape to grow to create the necessary screen, you'd have to choose large plants to do any good. So it is an expensive.
Anyone that looks at your property will see the neighbor regardless of what your place looks like. It only takes a few uncaring neighbors to make an entire neighborhood less attractive.

I second contacting code enforcement, although code enforcement can take months if your neighbor is not cooperative.

Old 03-06-2009, 06:41 AM

3,458 posts, read 6,966,105 times
I take it you don't have an HOA? If you do, complain to the HOA.

+1 on the code enforcement. In my county you cannot park a car on "unimprove surface" so if they are parking on the lawn, that is a no no.

Old 03-06-2009, 07:10 AM

41 posts, read 221,261 times
hmm i go with everyone else about going to code enforcement... well at least about the shed since there are set back rules... if you don't want to go that route. Is there a fence in your front yard? this might not change them seeing next door when they drive up. But if you do put a high enough fence and/or trees that you can't see their yard when in the house or in the front yard, buyers might not care as much. I have seen some houses that enclosed their entire property line with wooden fences that looked great and added privacy which was an added bonus. the fence will also prevent them from putting leaves and trash in your yard, blocking your driveway, etc when its time to show your house

Old 03-06-2009, 08:36 AM

14,936 posts, read 36,676,250 times
We also can't park on a lawn in a subdivision like that. I would take a picture of the problems, head to city hall and ask if any of them are code violations.

Otherwise anything you can do to create a line, making it clear where your property stops and starts would be helpful for buyers. Bushes, a rock bed, those small white picket fences (as leens514 mentioned). Our front yard fences can only be so high here (4 feet I think) so make sure that you don't violate codes.

I've sold houses with a big orange broken down monster truck next door sitting in the driveway. It did detour two buyers, but we had three offers on the property. The house was a good house.

Old 03-06-2009, 08:50 AM

22,769 posts, read 28,458,278 times
Get code enforcement involved, but also get other neighbors involved. Code enforcement in my area, for example, won't do anything unless 5 different people complain.

Old 03-06-2009, 09:55 AM

2,268 posts, read 5,427,507 times
I would fence the area to block the view and then plant some arborvitaes in front of the area somewhat staggered from each other to create some interest. You can buy 5 to 6 ft tall ones for not that much and it will probably be worth it in the long run.

Old 03-06-2009, 10:06 AM

9,803 posts, read 14,737,555 times
Block the view all you want.

You are screwed if buyers are like me and won't buy a house next to a " dump" whether you fence your property or not.

I an re-locating and the appearance of the houses in the neighborhood carries a lot of weight in my decision.

I am not willing to buy your problems cuz they then become my problems.

Not worth the hassle for me ,the buyer.

Old 03-06-2009, 10:15 AM

230 posts, read 1,132,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
Block the view all you want.

You are screwed if buyers are like me and won't buy a house next to a " dump" whether you fence your property or not.

I an re-locating and the appearance of the houses in the neighborhood carries a lot of weight in my decision.

I am not willing to buy your problems cuz they then become my problems.

Not worth the hassle for me ,the buyer.
Ditto. Sounds harsh, but it is true. You have a tough situation on your hands. I'm guessing a frank discussion with them would not help one bit, either, from the sounds of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate