Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2009, 04:10 PM

584 posts, read 2,148,536 times

Advertisements

Any thoughts on:

When I have my empty (no staging, no furniture, etc) house for sale....

1. leave the water on?
2. leave the power on?

Or should I have them turned off before putting it on the market?

I don't want to waste money if the realtor doesn't turn off the lights, or water when they leave.

I see several pros/cons to both. Don't know which to do. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2009, 04:14 PM

15,572 posts, read 40,413,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgmv90 View Post
Any thoughts on:

When I have my empty (no staging, no furniture, etc) house for sale....

1. leave the water on?
2. leave the power on?

Or should I have them turned off before putting it on the market?

I don't want to waste money if the realtor doesn't turn off the lights, or water when they leave.

I see several pros/cons to both. Don't know which to do. Thanks
You can have the house winterized and shut off the water. You'll have to have it restarted for home inspections. Leave the power on.

Some showings are late at night for vacant homes and its nice to be able to see the inside.

Old 03-06-2009, 04:35 PM

1,989 posts, read 4,464,533 times
Please, please, please, have someone who knows what they're doing shut the water off. You cannot believe how many homes I've seen listed that have had pipes burst or sinks leak or icemakers leak-- and no one is home-- and either the floor or much of the whole house is ruined.

A house in my old neighborhood was "saved" by neighbors, who called police when they saw WATER COMING OUT THE WINDOWS. It was summertime.

Please. Water off.

Lights are up to you.

Old 03-06-2009, 04:39 PM

584 posts, read 2,148,536 times
No. I mean have the utilities company disconnect. I'd call them, tell them I'm moving and have them shut off the power/water professionally on their end or whatever.

Also, other than water and power, is there anything else that you should have shut off or disconnect? Or for that matter leave on?

Thanks.

Old 03-06-2009, 06:11 PM

3,191 posts, read 9,181,397 times
IMHO I would leave the stuff on...a good agent should be willing to check the status of the house after showings, or a trusted neighbor.
A potential buyer might want to check the water pressure/toilets, etc. and ashodl be able to se that lights work, etc.

You best check with your homeowners insurancetoo , if you intend on leaving the house empty.

Old 03-06-2009, 06:55 PM

8 posts, read 47,246 times
Questions Are you in an area that has freezing temperatures? Does your home have drywall? What does your insurance agent say? Is there an electrically or water operated sump pump?

I've been in "winterized" foreclosure properties, which you seem to want to emulate. They usually sell for thousands less. But it's your home... save a few bucks.

Old 03-06-2009, 06:55 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,713,615 times
For obvious reasons, tape your toilets shut with a note that the water has been turned off.

Old 03-07-2009, 04:39 AM

1,219 posts, read 4,217,616 times
If you winterize, be prepared to de-winterize for a buyer's inspection. I actually walked away from a house because the owner (a bank) would not do that (I put it in my offer that they would, as part of counter offer, they refused. I walked). The house proceeded to sit for many more months, and I got a better deal elsewhere-and this bank did dewinterize for the inspection.

Old 03-07-2009, 06:24 AM

2,249 posts, read 8,895,230 times
It depends on where you are. In Florida: If you have a sprinkler system, leave the water on but turn off at the source for the toilets and sinks and put plastic wrap over the bowls. No sprinkler system, turn it completely off but again wrap the toilets. I would recommend leaving the electric on so the a/c comes on and takes the moisture out of the house.

Old 03-07-2009, 04:09 PM

262 posts, read 1,025,595 times
I guess it depends on what part of the country you live in, but in Omaha, nobody with any sense shuts off the utilities. All sorts of bad things can happen to these houses in the winter. When I was looking, the only houses that had been "winterized" were bank-owned foreclosures, and the long cold months with no power had clearly taken a toll on the properties. As a buyer, I don't think I would have even considered a normal house on the market that had no power. If I'm having to walk around the house with a flashlight in sub-freezing temperatures, I'm not going to come away with a very nice opinion of the property.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate