Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2009, 03:43 PM

12,626 posts, read 31,895,067 times

Advertisements

Would a $5K or $10K reduction really make a difference? Does it really grab the buyer's eye? Does it help when ppl are doing a search on realtor.com b/c the price would fall into another price range?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2009, 03:52 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,597,003 times
It depends on a lot of factors.. personally, I think you'd need to be talking about a list price of less than $50,000 for a $5k reduction to matter.

Just based on what I have seen - I've seen houses drop from $200k to $190k, that I thought needed to be at $150k - in those cases $10k is peanuts, since they had it priced too high to begin with. Others I have seen at $175k, and I would percieve a drop to $165k to be substantial. My opinion is that it just depends on how competitive the original price was, and how much of a % drop that $10k or $5k represents.

Old 03-09-2009, 04:04 PM

12,626 posts, read 31,895,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubber_factory View Post
It depends on a lot of factors.. personally, I think you'd need to be talking about a list price of less than $50,000 for a $5k reduction to matter.

Just based on what I have seen - I've seen houses drop from $200k to $190k, that I thought needed to be at $150k - in those cases $10k is peanuts, since they had it priced too high to begin with. Others I have seen at $175k, and I would percieve a drop to $165k to be substantial. My opinion is that it just depends on how competitive the original price was, and how much of a % drop that $10k or $5k represents.
My price was competative about 3-4 months ago, but now it seems things have dropped a slight bit. The houses that have been listed as long as mine, if not longer are still the same price. Not sure if any have sold either. It's the new listings that seem a bit lower. The difference is those house may have more sq ft, but are old.(1970's) My house is only 4 years old. They are all in the $200K range.

Old 03-09-2009, 05:19 PM

353 posts, read 799,289 times
I can tell you that price is the ONLY thing that matters to me, and I am a pre-approved buyer ready to close. Since most of the properties I see are overpriced by 50-75k, I prefer to see a 50k price drop, but I have gone to see houses based on 10k drops as well.

Old 03-09-2009, 05:33 PM

172 posts, read 507,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
My price was competative about 3-4 months ago, but now it seems things have dropped a slight bit. The houses that have been listed as long as mine, if not longer are still the same price. Not sure if any have sold either. It's the new listings that seem a bit lower. The difference is those house may have more sq ft, but are old.(1970's) My house is only 4 years old. They are all in the $200K range.

Sounds like you may have purchased your home for 2005 price but it will be hard to sell it now for that price or higher. Good luck!

Old 03-09-2009, 08:51 PM

47 posts, read 98,005 times
Other people with tons more real estate experience than me can answer specifically about house prices, but applying knowledge from other kinds of marketing, I dropped my price to just below a round number, figuring that it would start showing up in searches up to that round number, and also appear cheaper.

Of course, this is theoretical wisdom on my part so far. We're getting lots of lookers, but the elusive buyer is still, well, eluding us.

Old 03-09-2009, 10:11 PM

1,049 posts, read 3,843,059 times
your first price is the impt one - if they discounted it before it doesnt matter for the most part if you discount it now , they have already passed you by imho - did an agent buy your listing - as in telling you it was worth more than it was to get the listing? happens all the time...............i can tell you stories but i wont

Old 03-10-2009, 07:29 AM

2,249 posts, read 8,870,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
Would a $5K or $10K reduction really make a difference? Does it really grab the buyer's eye? Does it help when ppl are doing a search on realtor.com b/c the price would fall into another price range?
Not anymore. It used to when there were set searches of $25K increments. Realtor.com has changed where you can put in your own price range...so where as you only used to be able to do $200K-$225K, searches are now able to put in $200K-200900, or whatever suits their fancy.
If you are in the mls, it's a different story... most are still set up in certain price increments, and if you lower the price at all it gets resent to those that are registered to receive listings.
If as you state below that new listings are coming onto the market lower then it's time to adjust your asking price to be just below the market.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate