Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2009, 04:47 AM

8,826 posts, read 15,318,969 times

Advertisements

Has anyone ever experienced this as a seller?
We thought a lot about listing our home and moving closer to work. We finally decided to list last week and see what the house would do. The realtor thought we were pricing about 25k too high. We were prepared to wait maybe 3-4 months and get lowball offers.
It went on the MLS Friday night and we received a very good offer on Saturday. We were excited and accepted Sunday morning.

Now we have lost sleep the past 2 nights thinking "what have we done?" Each night I slept maybe 2 hours. We have until May 1. We have to look at houses for ourselves. Now we are overwhelmed by the actual prospect of having to move and maybe rent for awhile while we look. We have gone from being very excited, to crying, to being numb and losing sleep. Is this normal? Kind of like the stages people go through after a death?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2009, 06:32 AM

2,249 posts, read 8,897,149 times
Awww, you poor thing! Have you discussed it with your Realtor®?

Old 03-10-2009, 06:44 AM

761 posts, read 3,415,684 times
We actually are feeling a little wierd on just renting our condo out and leaving that place. You'll get through it.

Old 03-10-2009, 06:59 AM

1,340 posts, read 3,697,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
We thought a lot about listing our home and moving closer to work. We finally decided to list last week and see what the house would do. The realtor thought we were pricing about 25k too high. We were prepared to wait maybe 3-4 months and get lowball offers.
It went on the MLS Friday night and we received a very good offer on Saturday. We were excited and accepted Sunday morning.

Now we have lost sleep the past 2 nights thinking "what have we done?" Each night I slept maybe 2 hours. We have until May 1. We have to look at houses for ourselves. Now we are overwhelmed by the actual prospect of having to move and maybe rent for awhile while we look. We have gone from being very excited, to crying, to being numb and losing sleep. Is this normal? Kind of like the stages people go through after a death?
Remorse for what? Going to miss your house? Think you made a bad decision? Personally I suggest getting over it. You want to move closer to work. (Smart move) so take the time to find a new place to make new memories and enjoy. Enjoy the extra time saved each day commuting by being with your SO.

Old 03-10-2009, 07:49 AM

112 posts, read 379,652 times
Quote:

I was a victim of this last sunday and it made me and my fiance sick. We are first time home buyers who are very qualified. We're pre-approved, flexible and are able to put 20% down. You can say we're model home buyers. We saw a property we really liked and made an offer only 3-4% less than listing which was accepted verbally. They asked for 2 days to check out a condo they wanna move to.

2 days passed. Reassuring us again that they'd sell, they ask for another few days so that a relative could check out the new unit for them. Then they asked for more time. In the end, after waiting for more than a week, they pulled the plug on the deal, claiming they couldn't sleep and could not bear to part with their house. All this while, they had told us things like, "please take measurements" and "you are welcome to choose furniture you'd like to keep". We even negotiated the closing date, giving them ample time to move out.

We've since moved on. If you're not ready to sell, I suggest you don't waste other people's time because they too have feelings. For me, buying a house is never about investment, it's consumption and it's emotional. I hope this doesn't happen to anyone else.

Old 03-10-2009, 08:48 AM

26 posts, read 88,719 times
I've moved a bunch and always felt this way when we sold - whether it was fast or took months. My advice is to get organized - make lists of things you need to do and create a schedule. That makes it less overwelming. Give yourself a fixed amount of time to buy a house and if you don't find one pick a rental.

Old 03-10-2009, 09:03 AM

1,380 posts, read 5,928,584 times
While I have never second guessed myself when selling and moving to another home, my wife still misses each house. Anytime we listed and sold quickly she felt that we sold too low. Way too low...
Moving can be very stressful, hopefully you will find a great house in a great neighborhood and in time you'll be happy to call the new place home. good luck...

Old 03-10-2009, 09:05 AM

230 posts, read 1,215,746 times
I think buyer's remorse is a little more common, but I think it will pass. Afterall, what has made you want to move for so long now? Consider yourself lucky for being able to sell so quickly, and walk away with a few dollars at the same time. If you don't do it now that you have the chance, then (if the market continues to worsen) you might have to stay in that house for several more years to have another similar opportunity to sell it at a decent price. Either way, good luck!

Old 03-10-2009, 10:30 AM

15,575 posts, read 40,430,010 times
You know what, selling a house is stressful. You start to realize that you have to pack up your home, etc.

If you are moving closer to work, it sounds like you are making a good choice. Since you haven't started to house hunt yet, I think it is pretty normal to be anxious.

Honestly, I think your feelings are pretty normal when people sell before finding their new home. These feelings usually go away when you find your new home. Take a deep breath, try and relax, and start looking for your new home.

Old 03-10-2009, 12:29 PM
HDL

3,216 posts, read 6,786,973 times
Smile I think that it's a NORMAL reaction for most folks TGBWC!!!

From the moment that I moved into my newest home several yrs ago, I knew that it was going to be difficult for me to keep up with it (3 levels, ~3400 sq ft, 1/3 acre fully landscaped with trees and shrubs) . But I fell in love with my home and now as I try to sell, part of me doesn't want to leave here and start all over again, when I know how hard and difficult it was for me to find this great a home/location/neighbors in the 1st place . I was going to ask the NEW BUYERS to adopt me so that I could STAY or come back often to visit !

So CONGRATS on getting an offer so quickly and HIGHER than your agent recommended ! I would take it and run if I were you and RENT if you can't find a home to your liking. Just don't move out till you know that the buyers can get a loan and really close !

Quote:

Great post love to shop ! I totally agree with what you said and how you said it ! Short and to the point (I may need to take note of that for myself lol).

Welcome to City Data Forums (CDF) ! Please enjoy your stay and keep posting .

Quote:
Originally Posted by love to shop View Post
I've moved a bunch and always felt this way when we sold - whether it was fast or took months. My advice is to get organized - make lists of things you need to do and create a schedule. That makes it less overwelming. Give yourself a fixed amount of time to buy a house and if you don't find one pick a rental.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate