Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2009, 10:01 PM

26 posts, read 88,586 times

Advertisements

In the area that I am looking for a home, there are no comps. Literally, no houses close to my price range have sold in the zip code I am looking in last 90 days despite 75+ houses for sale. You go back 2 more months and maybe 2 or 3 more houses have sold, but that seems like ancient history in this market.

I'm getting ready to submit a bid for a short sale. How will a bank determine whether my offer is fair or not? How would an appraiser look at it?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2009, 10:32 PM

311 posts, read 913,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by love to shop View Post
In the area that I am looking for a home, there are no comps. Literally, no houses close to my price range have sold in the zip code I am looking in last 90 days despite 75+ houses for sale. You go back 2 more months and maybe 2 or 3 more houses have sold, but that seems like ancient history in this market.

I'm getting ready to submit a bid for a short sale. How will a bank determine whether my offer is fair or not? How would an appraiser look at it?

Thanks
We have areas like that as well. What you do is find whatever comps you can...even if you have to spread out further than the one zip code. Also, I presume an agent is working with you? They will know what your local market is doing..if its still going down/stable, etc.

Alot depends on what the bank has to get out of it. Say they own the loan for $100K. They will usually list it for sale at that price. By Fannie Mae rules, they have to get at least 67% (I may be a percentage or two off on that number, but its close) of that $100K. So they couldnt take any less than $67K for it. Around here, most of the short sales are selling right at the list price or a few thousand over list price.

Also remember that just because you have an accepted offer, until the bank says its a deal, its not a deal. They take their own sweet time to respond and all the while they are also allowing other showings and other contracts to hit the table. In the end, they will choose the offer that gives them the most money for the property without regard for who's offer came in first.

Have a good agent in your corner to help you, you will need someone who is familiar with short sales and knows how to work with the banks to get the deal done. I have seen some of the gals in my office practically tearing their hair out to get them to close.
Good Luck to you!

Old 03-13-2009, 01:53 AM

140 posts, read 540,902 times
I'm also having a comps problem- buying a house on a lake with no comps on the lake in the last 12 months. Houses just off the lake are not comparable - big price difference. Nearby lakes area are all different - some smaller, larger, this affects the desirablility of the lake and therefore home values. Very few sales on any of these lakes.

Really difficult to determine ARV (after renovation value) and what price to offer.

Old 03-13-2009, 09:33 AM

8,189 posts, read 31,154,184 times
My experience with short sales has been that once an offer is submitted the bank will send someone out to do a BPO. This is a real estate agent who drives by the property, does not go inside, and offers their opinion on the value of the property.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate