Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2009, 06:08 PM

901 posts, read 2,988,007 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Ask him where it's written that an older home is automatically a money pit.
I don't think that he feels all older homes are a money pit. He just doesn't want to have to do the same things at home (plumbing, capentry, ect.) as well as at work. Also, most of the single family homes in our price range are fixer-uppers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2009, 12:20 PM

2,766 posts, read 5,521,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleasach View Post
I am going through a somewhat similar dilemma.

My spouse and I are a little older now and dread the idea of having to deal with boilers, plumbing problems, snow removal, etc., so we decided that if the day ever comes we'd buy a new construction condo with a balcony and be very happy. The idea that we wouldn't have to deal with these things was such a great one.

Now that the economy has tanked, I'm having second thoughts about that situation being my first choice. They say that condos are the first to suffer in a meltdown of the market so that's a worry.

Plus, it's very important to keep in mind that you-- as other owners in the condo-- are at the mercy of your neighbors' financial stability. If they can't pay their maintenance/common charges, I believe the other owners have to make up the shortfall. So if you buy a unit and have enough to pay for your unit and the common charges, that could change quickly if a couple of your neighbors lose their jobs and get foreclosed on.

There was an excellent article in the New York Times in May of 08 about just this issue. It's worth a read:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/05/15/bu...ondo.html?_r=1

Good luck to you!

My hubby and I bought a new small three bedroom single family home. It is big enough for both of us and out of town visitors. He even splurged on a ride on mower. It works for us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate