Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2009, 01:10 AM

3,283 posts, read 5,193,064 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by buyerbuyerpantsonfire View Post
My husband also was told no raise and no 401k matches. We're not putting 20% down, only 5% is all goes as planned. But you make a great point about rent- they can and will go up whereas a mortgage will not. Taxes, yes, of course, but then so will rents to match that. It just got to a point for us where rent is so much that mortgage, taxes and insurance is the same or less.

I do wish you well, it's tough for most people right now, us included! It's all a gamble, really...

rent will not go up. in six months from now, rents will be much lower over most of the country. you forget that there are many who are desperate to sell who can't. their next option is letting their home. then there are the hundreds of thousands of singletons who've decided to move back in with their folks. you're also forgetting about the huge vacant inventory the banks have. perhaps one day we'll stop bailing these banks out and they'll have to sell these homes to the highest bidder, whatever that price is. i currently live in london and initially when the bust came along, rents shot up. now they're plummeting!

if you're renting, i would suggest you go to several realtors and tell them you're thinking of moving. tell them your landlord is upping the price and you're looking for a better deal. sit back and wait. i sincerely doubt you'll wait too long. if a better deal comes along, spin that off your landlord. trust me this is not the time that a landlord wants to run around looking for QUALITY tennants when he already knows you and is happy with you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2009, 01:15 AM

3,283 posts, read 5,193,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheenie2000 View Post
All they need to do is stop the bailouts and let whoever made bad decisions, fail and go bankrupt.
Obama could also take his 4 trillion junk plan w/ loads of pork and stimulate each household. Each household would then get 40,000 dollars.

I think that's a good stimulus for all.

But of course, they'd never do that because that does not benefit the elite and big finance, that actually benefits us.

to be fair, as silly as it sounds, this is one of the only fair ways for them to introduce stimulus!

Old 03-23-2009, 06:22 AM

128 posts, read 467,073 times
Quote:
rent will not go up. in six months from now, rents will be much lower over most of the country. you forget that there are many who are desperate to sell who can't. their next option is letting their home.
Yes, I see these houses listed for sale and as rentals. They are tomorrow's foreclosures. I will not go near a rental that is a distressed property.

Quote:
then there are the hundreds of thousands of singletons who've decided to move back in with their folks.
Many single people rent, and those who bought most likely have condos, and I don't want to buy one.

Quote:
you're also forgetting about the huge vacant inventory the banks have. perhaps one day we'll stop bailing these banks out and they'll have to sell these homes to the highest bidder, whatever that price is.
I've seen many homes these banks own and all I've seen are trashed or in disrepair and not worth the money and aggravation needed to make them livable. Also, best case scenario, they sat all winter locked up unheated and the pipes have burst causing thousands of dollars in damage. The MLS pictures of the outside clearly show many unshoveled walkways and driveways. I've also gone to these in person and saw water damage in the unheated interiors.

Quote:
i currently live in london and initially when the bust came along, rents shot up. now they're plummeting!
I believe you but it's very different in my area.

Quote:
if you're renting, i would suggest you go to several realtors and tell them you're thinking of moving. tell them your landlord is upping the price and you're looking for a better deal. sit back and wait. i sincerely doubt you'll wait too long. if a better deal comes along, spin that off your landlord. trust me this is not the time that a landlord wants to run around looking for QUALITY tennants when he already knows you and is happy with you
Many of the rentals here (houses) like the one I am living in have old windows and are not energy efficient. I spent a lot of money heating the place. I want to buy a small house that I can insulate myself.

Last edited by buyerbuyerpantsonfire; 03-23-2009 at 07:15 AM..

Old 03-23-2009, 07:20 AM

3,599 posts, read 6,764,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 58robbo View Post
rent will not go up. in six months from now, rents will be much lower over most of the country. you forget that there are many who are desperate to sell who can't. their next option is letting their home. you.
Rental prices, unlike home prices, have not decreased. In most expensive urban areas (like NY, DC, SF, LA,) rents have increased 3-5% each year. It's called supply/demand. If so many people are on the sidelines and renting, this decreases the available number of units available, thus increases in rents.

Yeah, in places that have high foreclosures like Miami, or some parts of Arizona and Las Vegas, you can find a good deal on rents. But if the deal is too good and you know the landlord is losing too much money and that place will go into foreclosure very soon.

My friend was paying $2700 a month in rent for a 1 million home near the ocean in St. Augustine, FL. Guess what, his rental home got foreclosured on and now has about 3 months to find another home. He has 2 kids and a wife and the wife doesn't want to live in an apartment.

This housing crisis effect everyone. So those of you currenting renting, be very careful of private landlords. If the rents are too low compared to what it costs the landlord, be prepared to move. Even some big apartment complexes are going into foreclosure. There was an article on msnbc.com last week where an apartment complex with 350 units all went into foreclosures and all these tenants had to look for another home to rent ASAP.

Old 03-23-2009, 07:32 AM

2,193 posts, read 5,038,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aneftp View Post
Rental prices, unlike home prices, have not decreased. In most expensive urban areas (like NY, DC, SF, LA,) rents have increased 3-5% each year. It's called supply/demand. If so many people are on the sidelines and renting, this decreases the available number of units available, thus increases in rents.

Yeah, in places that have high foreclosures like Miami, or some parts of Arizona and Las Vegas, you can find a good deal on rents. But if the deal is too good and you know the landlord is losing too much money and that place will go into foreclosure very soon.

My friend was paying $2700 a month in rent for a 1 million home near the ocean in St. Augustine, FL. Guess what, his rental home got foreclosured on and now has about 3 months to find another home. He has 2 kids and a wife and the wife doesn't want to live in an apartment.

This housing crisis effect everyone. So those of you currenting renting, be very careful of private landlords. If the rents are too low compared to what it costs the landlord, be prepared to move. Even some big apartment complexes are going into foreclosure. There was an article on msnbc.com last week where an apartment complex with 350 units all went into foreclosures and all these tenants had to look for another home to rent ASAP.
Rents have declined as per this article:
http://finance.yahoo.com/real-estate...acancies-Spike

Old 03-23-2009, 07:33 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,628,002 times
Quote:
Rental Statistics

I don't see any clear trend that indicates rents are going up, even in NY, DC, SF, and LA.

Besides, if rental demand is increasing, why aren't builders building?

Old 03-23-2009, 07:59 AM

3,599 posts, read 6,764,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubber_factory View Post
Rental Statistics

I don't see any clear trend that indicates rents are going up, even in NY, DC, SF, and LA.

Besides, if rental demand is increasing, why aren't builders building?
These are the lastest stats on rental markets. They are for 2008. They will probably release 2009 figures soon and I'm sure they will be the same.

New Rental Data Report Reveals Strong Rental Market in Q1 2008 | Reuters

New apartment complexes are not being built. They have to be zoned for specific communities. The builders have no incentive to build these apartment complexes because there is too little demand for new construction. That's why they aren't building. Most of the existing apartment complexes are close to capacity in major expensive urban areas. (Dallas, Houston, Miami, Las Vegas, Denver, Charlotte etc is not my definition of expensive urban areas)

Old 03-23-2009, 08:04 AM

2,193 posts, read 5,038,279 times
Quote:
These are the lastest stats on rental markets. They are for 2008. They will probably release 2009 figures soon and I'm sure they will be the same.

New Rental Data Report Reveals Strong Rental Market in Q1 2008 | Reuters

New apartment complexes are not being built. They have to be zoned for specific communities. The builders have no incentive to build these apartment complexes because there is too little demand for new construction. That's why they aren't building. Most of the existing apartment complexes are close to capacity in major expensive urban areas. (Dallas, Houston, Miami, Las Vegas, Denver, Charlotte etc is not my definition of expensive urban areas)
Your information is old.

New York-Wayne-White Plains, N.Y./N.J.

Rent drop: -3.7%
Q4 2008 rent change: -3.2%
Q4 2007 rent change: 0.5%
Effective rent: $2,672.20

"Rents, along with home prices, had been growing in Manhattan until the financial crisis took hold in mid-September. Since then, rents have dropped as landlords adjust to the new reality. Major layoffs at financial firms and in other sectors have forced tenants to give up expensive apartments and move in with parents or roommates. The unemployment rate climbed to 6% in November 2008 compared to 4.6% in November 2007. The apartment vacancy rate jumped to 4% in the fourth quarter last year from 3.4% in the same period in 2007. Landlords on average are giving rent concessions of 1.1 weeks."

I'll post this link again, since it seems you missed it.

http://finance.yahoo.com/real-estate...acancies-Spike

Old 03-23-2009, 08:09 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,124,981 times
cohdane nailed it in an earlier post.

Until the median price of homes have some corelation to median incomes in this country, house prices will and must drop

For the govt to intervene to prevent that drop, would be a mistake.

Wages have been rather stagnant for many years, yet housing values have exploded in that same time. Something had to give .

Old 03-23-2009, 08:12 AM

1,422 posts, read 2,296,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 58robbo View Post
rent will not go up. in six months from now, rents will be much lower over most of the country. you forget that there are many who are desperate to sell who can't. their next option is letting their home. then there are the hundreds of thousands of singletons who've decided to move back in with their folks. you're also forgetting about the huge vacant inventory the banks have. perhaps one day we'll stop bailing these banks out and they'll have to sell these homes to the highest bidder, whatever that price is. i currently live in london and initially when the bust came along, rents shot up. now they're plummeting!

if you're renting, i would suggest you go to several realtors and tell them you're thinking of moving. tell them your landlord is upping the price and you're looking for a better deal. sit back and wait. i sincerely doubt you'll wait too long. if a better deal comes along, spin that off your landlord. trust me this is not the time that a landlord wants to run around looking for QUALITY tennants when he already knows you and is happy with you.
Agreed Robbo.

Don't forget the moratorium on foreclosures that has been in place - creating a "hidden" supply of property that is going to hit the market when banks re-start their repossesion activities.

Oversupply = lower rents

When interest rates shoot up you'll see even more homeowners in difficulty.

And don't forget the "unplannedlords" - you'll know what these are Robbo!!!!! - people who are having to rent their home out and move in with parents/family to try to cover their mortgages.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate