Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2009, 04:42 PM

960 posts, read 1,162,321 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PotterGeek View Post
The subprime fallout is (nearly) over. What you've got left is Alt A's (which are a bit more well qualified than subprimes) and the economic (job loss) defaults coming. I don't think they will wreak nearly as much havoc as the subprimers, who we all knew were going to default any freaking way....

But that's what my crystal ball says. I have no ulterior motive and I could be wrong. Could you?
Yep, I could be wrong, but my crystal ball says that job loss defaults will be the mother of all the fallouts. Job losses quickly create a feedback loop that reinforce a downward spiral. It takes many years to recover from that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2009, 07:14 PM

Location: Halfway between Number 4 Privet Drive and Forks, WA
1,516 posts, read 4,589,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heiwos View Post
Yep, I could be wrong, but my crystal ball says that job loss defaults will be the mother of all the fallouts. Job losses quickly create a feedback loop that reinforce a downward spiral. It takes many years to recover from that.
I disagree, I don't think they will even be close to the subprimes...

Old 03-24-2009, 07:47 PM

1,422 posts, read 2,302,640 times
Alt-A and Option ARM Resets - The Coming Wave

I found the comments re: small businesses - employers - interesting.

Old 03-25-2009, 01:57 PM

Location: Halfway between Number 4 Privet Drive and Forks, WA
1,516 posts, read 4,589,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by London Girl View Post
Alt-A and Option ARM Resets - The Coming Wave

I found the comments re: small businesses - employers - interesting.
Very interesting read. As I stated before, I could be wrong. Let's hope the Alt A/Option Arm borrowers can refi and if they can't, have a bit more hesitancy about walking away.

Old 03-26-2009, 08:23 AM

764 posts, read 1,597,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PotterGeek View Post
The subprime fallout is (nearly) over. What you've got left is Alt A's (which are a bit more well qualified than subprimes) and the economic (job loss) defaults coming. I don't think they will wreak nearly as much havoc as the subprimers, who we all knew were going to default any freaking way....
As I've said before, the eye of this financial hurricane is just passing over all of us right now.....watch out for the maelstrom on the back end which will be far more devastating than what we've experienced so far.

If you think the worst has passed....you have another think coming!

Not the Judas Priest version.....

Old 03-26-2009, 08:30 AM

1,422 posts, read 2,302,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flat2MT View Post
As I've said before, the eye of this financial hurricane is just passing over all of us right now.....watch out for the maelstrom on the back end which will be far more devastating than what we've experienced so far.

If you think the worst has passed....you have another think coming!

Not the Judas Priest version.....
Agreed.

As I heard someone say once: "Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is the train"

Time to buckle up for the ride.

Old 03-26-2009, 06:25 PM

634 posts, read 1,558,181 times
Wink lease it and get what you can

Quote:
Originally Posted by srnyong View Post
I'm a prospective buyer - watching the condo market in my area for the last 6 months.
I'm shopping condos that were built in 2006-2007, sold for about $500K, and foreclosures are now going for about $220-250K.

Looking at it from the seller's perspective, if I were someone who bought my condo in early 2007 for $500K, I probably would have put down 3-10% and then in 1 year paid off almost zero principle.

Assuming I want to sell my condo for the going rate - $250K, I still owe $220K on it.

I probably don't have $200K sitting in the bank so that I can get out from under my condo. But it's a Condo and I just lost my job and found another job in another city.

What do I do other than list an overpriced condo, and pray that some sucker with a big inheritance comes along?
No doubt SRNYONG you are in a bad situation, but lease it for the rate the market will bear and maybe 12 months from now it will be a better time to sell. Good Luck!

Old 03-27-2009, 07:33 AM

270 posts, read 967,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EllenArlingtonPark View Post
No doubt SRNYONG you are in a bad situation, but lease it for the rate the market will bear and maybe 12 months from now it will be a better time to sell. Good Luck!
Thanks Ellen, but if you look closely at my post, I'm the buyer. I don't have an overpriced condo to sell.

I was just theorizing from the seller's perspective.
Most of these nice condos that I am looking at have very strict lease policies, not more than 25% of units can be leased at a time. So obviously there is a long waiting list to even make your unit available for rent.

As a buyer, I can only shop foreclosures and not feel ripped off. In one of the condo buildings I am shopping, resales are listed between $300K - $400K, while foreclosures are listed at $220K - $250K.

Old 03-27-2009, 08:00 AM

1,340 posts, read 3,696,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srnyong View Post
Thanks Ellen, but if you look closely at my post, I'm the buyer. I don't have an overpriced condo to sell.

I was just theorizing from the seller's perspective.
Most of these nice condos that I am looking at have very strict lease policies, not more than 25% of units can be leased at a time. So obviously there is a long waiting list to even make your unit available for rent.

As a buyer, I can only shop foreclosures and not feel ripped off. In one of the condo buildings I am shopping, resales are listed between $300K - $400K, while foreclosures are listed at $220K - $250K.
The seller will WALK and this will become even more common in the months ahead. Anyone that suggests or thinks prices will be better in 12 months is in SUPER DENIAL mode. Sure each market is different but I don't see how anyone can think prices will INCREASE in the short term pretty much anywhere? Some may stay flat or even a slight 1% type increase but holding out a year for a better market is insane.

And being that underwater, refi is not an option. And rentals will be flooding the market and most people won't consider or or be able to afford to do it.

Old 03-27-2009, 10:08 AM

2,908 posts, read 3,871,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatasNJ View Post
The seller will WALK and this will become even more common in the months ahead. Anyone that suggests or thinks prices will be better in 12 months is in SUPER DENIAL mode. Sure each market is different but I don't see how anyone can think prices will INCREASE in the short term pretty much anywhere? Some may stay flat or even a slight 1% type increase but holding out a year for a better market is insane.

And being that underwater, refi is not an option. And rentals will be flooding the market and most people won't consider or or be able to afford to do it.

This is so true. I am seeing houses that were grossly overpriced when they hit the market 4-8 months ago now being offered for rent. Now their problem is an oversupply of rentals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate