Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2009, 06:52 AM

2,505 posts, read 6,148,944 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaceyEx View Post
Morning Painter-yes it's good to see company come but just as good to see them leave! Our schedules,etc just get disrupted.

Well gang 5 days left on the listing and we're seriously thinking of cancelling. In one year our listing agent hasn't shown the house once. We're thinking of FSBO as we can reduce substantially due to her 6%. Also we don't have to sell. just want to. Truthfully, wish we had rented and never bought til we were sure.
Hi Lacey and everyone,

Sorry to hear you feel stuck...understand totally. We almost relisted on Thursday, but got cold feet. We want to relist with our old agent, as she was always very good about feedback, but she never once showed our house either. How are you going to go about being FSBO? That seems like it might work here, but not sure about showings. Would you offer 3% to a buyers agent? You were in the mortgage business?

A young woman I work with just had an offer accepted on a house she wanted to buy, and it was interesting to hear her side of the buying/selling thought process. The house was listed for $280,000. She offered $270,000, with sellers to pay closing costs ($12,000...yup, it's x-pensive here in NY) They countered back and forth, and finally accepted her offer, which was much closer to their asking, but with the closing costs paid by the seller. Her thoughts were that she could get a mortgage for the full amount, but then get a kinda kick-back cash reserve of the closing costs to help with renovations. So, if that's what the current strategy is when buying, the seller will take a commission hit of $14,000 (5%) and then pay closing of $12,000, for a total of $26,000 off listing price as far as equity. That' almost 10%. Is that typical?

Last edited by tambre; 04-25-2009 at 07:00 AM.. Reason: Add some stuff

Old 04-25-2009, 08:12 AM

5,273 posts, read 7,347,457 times
Quote:
Morning Painter-yes it's good to see company come but just as good to see them leave! Our schedules,etc just get disrupted.

Well gang 5 days left on the listing and we're seriously thinking of cancelling. In one year our listing agent hasn't shown the house once. We're thinking of FSBO as we can reduce substantially due to her 6%. Also we don't have to sell. just want to. Truthfully, wish we had rented and never bought til we were sure.
Lacey! Good morning !! I hear you! Mine never showed our house once!
I want to go FSBO too!! but we may end up doing another realtor *in the area * though. Of course with the antics that have happened, we may wait a couple weeks before we list with another realtor. 5/2 is when we are done with the clueless wonder we have! You think she would have called us *about what happened in the neighborhood?*Tape is now down. Wow, lovely.
Holy crap!! I was in NY with my dd yesterday.for a shoot in Central Park--what a beautiful park it is!!!.Had to go to another place with her but with a MAJOR designer. OMG> .Almost blew it off because we had left early in the am. for the 1st thing---glad we ended up going... They loved her so much in the little dresses she put on for them---a charity benefit coming up of some sort.All custom made dresses... Don't know too many details but met some of the family members of this TOP designer. I almost sht my pants. lol Of course my daughter could have cared less lol..but she had fun!

Tex- when is the Kentucky Derby again? I want to see a pic of that hat!!!Yes, I am psyched as Dogmom to come to visit once you get back to TX!Have you done 30 day shred today?? I have to go treadmill now!! lost 4 lbs this week!Any word on the one showing tex??

Painter-what happened to the offers?

Dogmom- how are you ? did you find the knit simple mag?Love that martini menu!!!!!!!!

Crazyma- How are things on your end?
Lorrie- where are you!!

Tambre- good to see you!Wow. I guess it is not uncommon for an agent not to show the house! Nice to get an easy commission if you sell!

Niki- how are you doing/
HDL? Where are you!? Are you lurking?
Stoy> any showings???

Ms. Fancy- didn't you have a showing coming up?

Beautiful weekend ahead!! 85 and beach weather supposedly later today! It is warming up!!Enjoy the day everyone!

Old 04-25-2009, 08:46 AM

28,227 posts, read 21,851,350 times
Hi Tambre and NJS-I do realize she has done marketing but why not one showing from her entire office in a year?

Problem here is town is fairly small (11,000 winter, 40,000 summer) and when a house has been listed so long-I feel changing agents or companies won't help.

Glad you all have great weather-cold here and supposed to rain. Nothing's even budded yet.

HH-yes it was a very bad experience as it was my first scope and I can tell you my last! Last week was exhausting.

NJS-Central Park is such a gorgeous place and how exciting for your little one. Did you go to the Plaza for tea?

Old 04-25-2009, 09:26 AM

394 posts, read 1,049,217 times
Hi all -

Just checking in, it's been a while since I've stopped in to say hello. I'm sending positive vibes out to everyone today because I keep encountering negative nellies on other threads in this forum. Geez - they keep coming out of the woodwork. I really think most of them either got severely burned in real estate and want to share their pain or they were never able to get into real estate to begin with and they want others to be disadvantaged also. Enough, people! Chin up and move on! What's so wrong with wishing well for others???

Old 04-25-2009, 09:46 AM

Quote:
NJS-Central Park is such a gorgeous place and how exciting for your little one. Did you go to the Plaza for tea?
[/quote]
Lacey!! No we had to dash off to 7th Ave /Avenue of the Americas area! for that next request ----we had been on the road since 6:30 am so it was crazy lol.... I stopped at a good NY deli and had lunch and of course the candy store next to the deli lol.Had to reward her for being so good loll over 7 hrs. of being in Manhattan. I still want to go back to Fat Witch Bakery. I am telling you they had the best gourmet brownies around!! I still haven't gone to the Empire State Bdg...and I am a native New Yorker!! *upstate*!Everytime we go to Manhattan my daughter says" Hello NY, I'm here!" and on the way back "Bye bye Manhattan-see you again soon!"lol
I love, love Central Park--all the dog walkers-it's amazing..Love it. It was so crowded there *people on day tours*,people jogging, people just hanging out ! Everyone is so friendly there too!

So Lace- you hadn't gotten one offer in a year? When do you think you will start doing the FSBO? soon??

Hi In the Pines!! Glad to see you!! The negativity on the other threads makes me ill some days!! My BP goes through the roof lol some days when I see certain people there! never saw such smug --------!

Old 04-25-2009, 11:36 AM

NJS-yes one low-ball w/a contingency that we laughed at.

Love NYC-born in the Bronx, raised in Staten Island. Took the ferry daily to work-that skyline still gives me goosebumps. Mr. L was stationed at Governor's Island and that was a beautiful place.

We spent our honeymoon in Manhattan doing all the touristy things-Carnegie Deli, Empire State, Radio City, the night clubs, great restaurants, Broadway shows. Stayed at the St. Regis.

My grandmother took me every year to Radio City for the Christmas and Easter shows and I did the same for mine. Their faces at Radio City were amazing.

I worked right on Times Square at the NY Times.

Old 04-25-2009, 12:01 PM

Damn! You are my idol Lacey lol

That is awesome about your background/heritage with NY!!That is so amazing you worked for the NY times!!!
One lowball offer huh? I hope it gets better! Do you want to live in Jersey or did you mention NC??

It is funny because my parents honeymooned in NY back in 1961 when they had married. Too cool!

Quote:
NJS-yes one low-ball w/a contingency that we laughed at.

Love NYC-born in the Bronx, raised in Staten Island. Took the ferry daily to work-that skyline still gives me goosebumps. Mr. L was stationed at Governor's Island and that was a beautiful place.

We spent our honeymoon in Manhattan doing all the touristy things-Carnegie Deli, Empire State, Radio City, the night clubs, great restaurants, Broadway shows. Stayed at the St. Regis.

My grandmother took me every year to Radio City for the Christmas and Easter shows and I did the same for mine. Their faces at Radio City were amazing.

I worked right on Times Square at the NY Times.

Old 04-25-2009, 12:13 PM

NYTimes is family tradition. My grandfather was top criminal reporter way back when (Teddy Roosevelt was Pres.) My Dad was City Editor, I worked in Advertising. Years later my brother (who is now an exec at Parade magazine) was a Circulation VP. Now our son works there and handles all colleges in NYC vicinity.

Our hope is to move to NC-no more NJ for us even tho kids and grands are there.

Old 04-25-2009, 12:29 PM

982 posts, read 1,100,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by In the Pines View Post
Hi all -

Just checking in, it's been a while since I've stopped in to say hello. I'm sending positive vibes out to everyone today because I keep encountering negative nellies on other threads in this forum. Geez - they keep coming out of the woodwork. I really think most of them either got severely burned in real estate and want to share their pain or they were never able to get into real estate to begin with and they want others to be disadvantaged also. Enough, people! Chin up and move on! What's so wrong with wishing well for others???
The 64 million dollar question! Some people just cannot be happy, no matter what's going on in the world. They can find a way to bring rain into their lives. Why else would we have people taking anti-depressants in record numbers in this country???? It's really sad when you think about it. I really pray for those people. I really do.

I'm telling you guys, I've had to put a dozen people on ignore. It's not that I don't want to see/hear the other side and others' opinions. I do. I've learned so much from this forum from everyone. There are just those that want to argue and make it personal and get ugly about it. I don't need that in my life. It's so much easier if you just don't even have to read it. The only time you do see it is if someone quotes them and then you can just choose not to read it. Anyone who calls me names automatically goes on ignore. Those people just aren't worth it to me. And it's been my experience that people who do that sort of thing don't really have anything of intelligence or substance to add to my life anyway.

At this point in my life, I don't need the aggravation. I prefer to live in bliss! LOL!

It's gorgeous here today. Going out and about as soon as hubby is ready. My inlaws are gone and I have some exercising to catch up on.

You all have a great day!

Old 04-25-2009, 12:54 PM

394 posts, read 1,049,217 times
MsFancyPants - I didn't realize we had an ignore button!

Lacey - I just got back from a very fast paced weekend in NYC. My girlfriend and I got away from kids and hubbies and took in as many sights as possible - it had been years since I was there. We had a great time. Stayed at the Waldorf, saw a show, did some shopping - it was fun. Now I need to get my husband there for a romantic weekend!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate