Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2009, 06:20 PM

1,340 posts, read 3,688,461 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsFancyPants View Post
Owning. A status symbol, you mean? I'm not sure why just "owning" is a reason to own. Not trying to be flip. Tax deduction. Being phased out as we speak. Over time build equity. Wouldn't you be doing that by banking the difference between rent and mortgage payments and maintenance and taxes and HOA fees? Tweak to your desires? Okay. That I can understand. Although, those tweaks in a market that you'll be happy with flat or stagnant will eat into your "equity down the road." Appreciation over time will only come if the market appreciates, not if it stays stagnant or flat. Ask the retirees right now how "surely" they are about that! LOL!

I'm only asking these questions b/c it seems like if I thought the way you did, I wouldn't buy. I'd stay renting.
No. Not a status thing at all.

Tax deduction not being phased out in my income level. No worries there.

Once prices drop a tad more the rent/buy ratio will be fairly close so after deduction it will be close to a even scenario either way payment wise. One building equity one not.

And my flat comment was meant SHORT TERM. In 10+ years I believe the appreciation will be there and that is what matters to me. Not the short term instant appreciation some people expect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2009, 06:21 PM

2,193 posts, read 5,036,889 times
Quote:

I don't understand why anyone would buy a house if they don't expect it to appreciate.
Well, if a person either buys a house in cash or pays it off fully eventually, the reason would be to have a home that's mortgage/rent free.

Old 04-07-2009, 06:34 PM

982 posts, read 1,093,987 times
Thanks, Sheenie and NJ. Now that makes sense. I admit, I come from a mindset of not paying off your home! LOL! Just an investment to me. But that makes sense now.

Carry on. The blonde has left the building.

Old 04-07-2009, 06:35 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,468,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bproven View Post

For instance, take granite countertops - Two houses that are equal, but one has granite countertops and the other doesn't. I wouldn't pay extra for that. My perspective...
If all else is equal, the home with granite will sell faster than the one without it. And in a depreciating market, time is money.

Old 04-07-2009, 06:51 PM

1,422 posts, read 2,295,809 times
Quote:
Thanks, Sheenie and NJ. Now that makes sense. I admit, I come from a mindset of not paying off your home! LOL! Just an investment to me. But that makes sense now.

Carry on. The blonde has left the building.
Just out of interest, did you eventually find a tenant for your rental?

Potential tenant problem

Old 04-07-2009, 06:57 PM

I haven't re-listed it yet. My son lives in there and is moving this weekend. I just decided to wait till he's out and then list it. I figured with two college boys in there, it's a mess, and will likely attract that kind of tenant till I get them out, get it painted, carpets cleaned and tidied up a bit.

And, no, I never heard from her "attorney"! LOL!

This is why I hate being a landlord. Flipping is so much less of a hassle!

Old 04-07-2009, 07:16 PM

1,422 posts, read 2,295,809 times
Quote:
I haven't re-listed it yet. My son lives in there and is moving this weekend. I just decided to wait till he's out and then list it. I figured with two college boys in there, it's a mess, and will likely attract that kind of tenant till I get them out, get it painted, carpets cleaned and tidied up a bit.

And, no, I never heard from her "attorney"! LOL!

This is why I hate being a landlord. Flipping is so much less of a hassle!
I live in the US but also own a property outright in the UK and rent it out.

Always used a property management company and found it works just fine.

Although I guess it helps not having a mortgage to pay - I probably wouldn't use them if my profit margins were slim.

They do save an awful lot of hassle though.

Old 04-07-2009, 07:22 PM

I have three rentals right now and I use property management companies on the two. They're positive cash flow. This one is my one regret! LOL! It's definitely my long-term hold. Oh, well. You can't win them all. I could walk away from it - it will probably never be worth what I paid for it, but my conscience won't let me do that. I made the deal. I have to live with it. I can use the write-off anyway. In the meantime, I moved my college aged kid in there w/a roommate. I would've paid more for a dorm so I consider it a wash. Now they're graduating and they're moving on, so at least I'll be getting more of a return than I have been. Still negative cash flow, and in a not-so-great neighborhood so I get what I get. The renter previous to my son living there on paper looked horrible. Husband in prison, single mom, just started her job. She was a great tenant. I'm sure I'll find another one. This woman turned out to be a whackjob, and I'm glad I found out sooner than later! I will probably pay my property mgt company a flat fee to just find me a tenant. Not for the monthly maintenance, just to find the tenant. That might be a better way to go on this one!

Old 04-07-2009, 08:06 PM

Location: Pittsburgh--Home of the 6 time Super Bowl Champions!
11,310 posts, read 12,332,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastieTX View Post
I don't know about the rest of you, but I have a hard time believing FMV personally tracked down these buyers after the sale, talked to them one on one, and was informed these buyers made their decision based soley on granite.

But then again, people in denial say the craziest things sometimes, don't they?
Do you think we don't speak to our agents?

Last edited by TexasGirl@Heart; 04-07-2009 at 08:56 PM..

Old 04-07-2009, 08:13 PM

1,615 posts, read 3,570,703 times
Quote:
And as soon as buyers buy, then they want the market to go up and they become the same way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fairmarketvalue View Post
A HOME RUN, folks, a home run!
So you are insinuating that sellers are....greedy?

That is a home run

case closed
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate