Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2009, 07:26 AM

2,637 posts, read 12,630,802 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairmarketvalue
Since the purchase price of 1998, the poster should expect ALL OF IT, and then some!! You people are crazy if you think this seller should not get more than the 98k she paid in 1998!
It's not about what she SHOULD get, what you assert that she is ENTITLED to get - it's about what the market will bear. I hope she does, but it's certainly not guaranteed, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2009, 07:35 AM

Location: Pittsburgh--Home of the 6 time Super Bowl Champions!
11,310 posts, read 12,370,519 times
[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tilli View Post
To you. Vinyl is much easier to clean than grout, especially in areas where mildew is an issue like bathrooms.

Quote:
Or, they could make an offer on your place but hold back what they think they would need to renovate to their own tastes.
Then they don't have to buy my house, do they? They can hold back all they want but if it isn't FAIR MARKET VALUE (CURRENT COMPS!!!--there's that phrase again!) then they are NOT buying my house.
Quote:
Of course not. I'm saying that 6 year old appliances are not a selling point, no matter how "new" they were when you renovated, they aren't new now.
I didn't say they were a selling point, only that they were all new at time of remodel.
Quote:
5 years can take a lot out of a carpet. I suppose your's is fastidiously clean though.
Talk about sarcasm....
I have it professionally cleaned every Spring. I also cleaned it myself last October which I did a better job cleaning it then the pros did.
Quote:
Why not? If they are going to have to renovate to get rid of something that they don't like, they need to take that into consideration. They need to take a declining market into consideration. A buyer's perception of value may be increased by your upgrades, but if they hate your upgrades then the value may not be increased or may decrease.
Again, they don't have to buy my house if they don't like my renovations, because I am NOT paying for their renovations! I paid for my own and I'll be damned if I'm paying for someone elses renovation!!

Old 04-08-2009, 07:47 AM

1,340 posts, read 3,697,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fairmarketvalue View Post
The point here is that anyone who is whining about home prices being "overpriced", thinks values are still falling, and just overall against buying until the "bottom hits", whatever that is, oh crystal ball bearer, when and the bigger "IF" they do actually buy, they'll be the first to whine about there home being worth more than they paid and expect it to be, as history shows a home DOES appreciate, period! Hope this helped explain for your understanding!
Home prices ARE still falling. Maybe that decline has slowed but nothing suggests a bottom yet. (very few exceptions)

As a current buyer I assume/expect that if I buy in the next few months (NJ) that whatever I BUY will lose value in the short term and if LUCKY (timed it right at bottom by blind luck) then best case stays flat for some period of time. Houses will appreciate over time but any small slice of that time (months to a few years) you may not see that appreciation and may actually lose money. Part of the risk.

Old 04-08-2009, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasGirl@Heart
Hey, slap your head all you want, but it's true.

Quote:
Then they don't have to buy my house, do they? They can hold back all they want but if it isn't FAIR MARKET VALUE (CURRENT COMPS!!!--there's that phrase again!) then they are NOT buying my house.
Nope, they don't have to buy your house, you don't have to sell your house. They also don't have to pay extra for what you consider upgrades.

Quote:
I didn't say they were a selling point, only that they were all new at time of remodel.
Sounded like a list of selling points to me, but OK.

Quote:
Talk about sarcasm....
I have it professionally cleaned every Spring. I also cleaned it myself last October which I did a better job cleaning it then the pros did.
It wasn't sarcasm. I assume that since you are so savvy that your light colored carpets are very clean. However, 5 year old carpets in general can get pretty worn and dirty in that timeframe, and could also be completely out of style. And as I have mentioned, I responded to you as an example on the general subject of "upgrades" versus value - I have not seen your house. I am speaking generally. Don't take my posts so personally.

Quote:
Again, they don't have to buy my house if they don't like my renovations, because I am NOT paying for their renovations! I paid for my own and I'll be damned if I'm paying for someone elses renovation!!
And buyers may feel exactly the same way and not want to pay for your renovations.

Old 04-08-2009, 08:05 AM

1,340 posts, read 3,697,578 times
I assume TexasGirl@heart is simply stating that her renovations/upgrades/personal design changes are at least considered UPGRADED with regards to what was previously there.

Sure one may not get full value back from that but generally if you replace a 70's dated kitchen with a new 2000+ kitchen that will add value regardless if the style of the upgrade is favorable to the buyer. (Very few people want 30+ year old formica counters versus even an ugly granite pattern for example)

Old 04-08-2009, 08:09 AM

959 posts, read 1,824,106 times
Quote:
To you. Vinyl is much easier to clean than grout, especially in areas where mildew is an issue like bathrooms.

Or, they could make an offer on your place but hold back what they think they would need to renovate to their own tastes.

Of course not. I'm saying that 6 year old appliances are not a selling point, no matter how "new" they were when you renovated, they aren't new now.

5 years can take a lot out of a carpet. I suppose your's is fastidiously clean though.

Why not? If they are going to have to renovate to get rid of something that they don't like, they need to take that into consideration. They need to take a declining market into consideration. A buyer's perception of value may be increased by your upgrades, but if they hate your upgrades then the value may not be increased or may decrease.

So let me get this straight here. It is not the buyers problem if the seller put money into their home upgrading it and they should not see any of that money back. However, it IS the sellers problem that the buyer does not like the upgade and should basically pay the buyer to upgrade it to their liking. Are you kidding me? If you don't like the upgrade you can either not buy the home or fix it to your liking. But to think the seller is responsible for making their home to your liking is completely insane.
Kristine

Old 04-08-2009, 08:12 AM

Quote:
I assume TexasGirl@heart is simply stating that her renovations/upgrades/personal design changes are at least considered UPGRADED with regards to what was previously there.

Sure one may not get full value back from that but generally if you replace a 70's dated kitchen with a new 2000+ kitchen that will add value regardless if the style of the upgrade is favorable to the buyer. (Very few people want 30+ year old formica counters versus even an ugly granite pattern for example)
I understand that. That is why I have stated several times that I am speaking generally and just using her as an example - I am sure that she has great taste and made good choices with universal appeal. I am not being sarcastic. But I have seen some houses on the MLS that are crowing about their "upgrades" and they are HIDEOUS. In a down market, upgrades may sell the house but they may not bring any extra money, and if your upgrades are not to a buyer's taste it may decrease the perception of value rather than increasing it.

Old 04-08-2009, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammy5 View Post
So let me get this straight here. It is not the buyers problem if the seller put money into their home upgrading it and they should not see any of that money back. However, it IS the sellers problem that the buyer does not like the upgade and should basically pay the buyer to upgrade it to their liking. Are you kidding me? If you don't like the upgrade you can either not buy the home or fix it to your liking. But to think the seller is responsible for making their home to your liking is completely insane.
Kristine
And we have a winner folks!

Old 04-08-2009, 08:18 AM

Quote:
I understand that. That is why I have stated several times that I am speaking generally and just using her as an example - I am sure that she has great taste and made good choices with universal appeal. I am not being sarcastic. But I have seen some houses on the MLS that are crowing about their "upgrades" and they are HIDEOUS. In a down market, upgrades may sell the house but they may not bring any extra money, and if your upgrades are not to a buyer's taste it may decrease the perception of value rather than increasing it.
Yes, you are!

Old 04-08-2009, 08:19 AM

2,193 posts, read 5,054,441 times
Historically, did upgardes always give sellers a higher price on their home? Or was this mentality started by HGTV?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate