Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2009, 09:39 PM

33 posts, read 169,742 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2gurls View Post
Wow I read this whole thread and learned a ton. Thanks so much for starting this thread!
I know! I found it so helpful!

My house is never going to be ready for sale.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2009, 09:35 AM

1,631 posts, read 3,940,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
My house has been on the market for about 4 months in FL. I've had about 3 showings. Of all the 3 showings, everybody, including the buyer's realtor has said that the house is in perfect condition and spotless. I had an offer that we agreed upon. The buyers backed out b/c they said they wanted a lower monthly mortgage. There was nothing I could to do to change that. With all the comps in the area, I'm told that I'm priced right by realtors. They say, the right buyer just has to come along that wants you're house. I've talked about having an open house, but I've heard that those aren't usually helpful. There are about 4 other homes that are for sale in my neighborhood of about 300 homes. They haven't sold either. Some of them even lowered their price. The one house has an open house about once a month. Truthfully, my house is the highest price. Actually, it's only about $25K more that the others. The reason being is b/c it's bigger (400-600 more sq feet) than the others and has a bigger lot. It is only 5 years old, opposed to the others being 30 years old. My house needs nothing. It's just frustrating! I guess it's just the market. I heard by lowering it, $10-$15K won't really make a difference. Any other advice would be nice. Here's a picture of my house:
Unfortunately, it sounds like your agent may have dropped the ball, did your agent put in the MLS that a buyer has to have a pre-aproval letter with the offer not a pre-qual letter with offer.

If you have that stated up front to any one thinking of purchasing your home, you should know that the buyer will be able to make the payments ahead of time becuase they have already spoken with the bank and have been given a payment they can afford. Plus this will make the sale go smoother, the only way the payment may be different than the bank quoted if the taxes are high and that can throw off the payment. But usually getting the pre-approval letter or proof of funds from a cash buyer will eliminate the hopefuls and the looky lues.

Good luck

Old 05-25-2009, 02:04 PM

10,901 posts, read 21,858,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007 license to sell View Post
Unfortunately, it sounds like your agent may have dropped the ball, did your agent put in the MLS that a buyer has to have a pre-aproval letter with the offer not a pre-qual letter with offer.

If you have that stated up front to any one thinking of purchasing your home, you should know that the buyer will be able to make the payments ahead of time becuase they have already spoken with the bank and have been given a payment they can afford. Plus this will make the sale go smoother, the only way the payment may be different than the bank quoted if the taxes are high and that can throw off the payment. But usually getting the pre-approval letter or proof of funds from a cash buyer will eliminate the hopefuls and the looky lues.

Good luck
How in the heck is the buyer backing out possibly her agents fault on this? I've disagreed with just about every post you've made today. It isn't always someones fault. In this case if you want to pass judgment on such limited info it would be the buyer and possibly the buyer agent.

However the more important point you glossed over is 3 showings in 4 months indicated the home is probably overpriced.

Old 05-25-2009, 04:40 PM

1,945 posts, read 7,345,277 times
Hi, I've enjoyed your thread and wish you well!! You've put in a huge effort to sell your house. Do you have any control over how the listing description is worded? A few of your top selling points; your location, the cul de sac, the top schools etc, could be worded in an enticing manner.

Old 05-25-2009, 08:20 PM

12,626 posts, read 31,917,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldhousegirl View Post
Hi, I've enjoyed your thread and wish you well!! You've put in a huge effort to sell your house. Do you have any control over how the listing description is worded? A few of your top selling points; your location, the cul de sac, the top schools etc, could be worded in an enticing manner.
Thanks, I can change how the lsiting is worded if I'd like. Thanks for the suggestion!

Old 05-26-2009, 06:25 AM

23,790 posts, read 33,264,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Hoffman View Post
How in the heck is the buyer backing out possibly her agents fault on this? I've disagreed with just about every post you've made today. It isn't always someones fault. In this case if you want to pass judgment on such limited info it would be the buyer and possibly the buyer agent.

However the more important point you glossed over is 3 showings in 4 months indicated the home is probably overpriced.
Looks like they read only the 1st post.

Old 06-01-2009, 02:41 PM

525 posts, read 1,294,946 times
Becky, I just wanted to pop in and say wow, what a difference your staging made! The house looks beautiful. I've seen you post in the Raleigh/Durham forum (I'm in Fuquay), and I just wanted to say I hope you are up this way soon. I know selling can be a total nightmare (my home was on the market >8 months), and you are doing a great job of staying positive. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you!

Old 06-05-2009, 08:29 PM

33 posts, read 169,742 times
Hey Becky!! Just wanted to see how things were going. Can you post an update? Any Nibbles?

Old 06-05-2009, 09:04 PM

3,252 posts, read 9,153,313 times
Something else to check if you have access. The price of the houses that HAVE sold in the subdivision according to your county tax accessor's office.

Our county has them online and I pulled ours up tonight and found that our subdivision has sold a GRAND total of FOUR since January 2009. We got the square footage of the house, the selling price (both are listed online in our state) and then figured out what the selling price per square foot was of those four. They range from 3 above us to one below. High price per sq foot was about $127. and the lowest was $83. We are just a touch above $100 a sq ft.

We didn't even put our house on the MLS til we decluttered altho our realtor saw it before hand. She came after we finished and we actually made her jaw drop. But the market here is soft. We finally got them in the door about two weeks ago on our last price drop which was low enough to get attention.

Decluttering is a BIG factor, curb appeal makes a difference. adding something to welcome people in the door helps. BUT what actually got them coming in was PRICE!

Becky, check just not what is selling out there but what has actually sold in the last 6 months. And work it out per sq ft. Liz

Old 06-06-2009, 03:38 PM

12,626 posts, read 31,917,279 times
I just went to the tax sight to see what other homes sold for and figured out the price per square foot. The average was $132-$154 a sq ft. There was one that was $73 a sq ft., but don't know if it was a short sale or what. My house is about 1600 sq ft. I think I'm spot on at $214, 900. The foreclosures are getting bought up which is good so I won't have to compete with those.

Update:
I have had a couple showings, but nothing serious yet. I had a man stop by today and didn't even know about the $8K tax credit. Hopefully, I will sell before the end of the summer. I will definately keep you all informed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate