Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2009, 05:15 PM

2 posts, read 10,847 times

Advertisements

What is the best way to save up and buy a condo?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2009, 05:17 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times
"Do without" things you do not need.

Old 04-05-2009, 05:21 PM

2 posts, read 10,847 times
Well i'm not bad at saving money but it comes slow. How can I make money faster.

Also is a condo the best type of housing for a single person in a city?

Old 04-05-2009, 05:31 PM

128 posts, read 468,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 21questions View Post
Well i'm not bad at saving money but it comes slow. How can I make money faster.

If you're like many of use who are middle class and don't have a trust fund, the truth is you will have to be patient while you scrimp and save. Even with a condo you need a down payment. I do not know your age but I am buying my first house after recently turning 40. When you buy you will still need to have savings to cover things like home repairs, loss of income, etc.

I've lived as a single person in various cities and I always rented and am glad I did- change of heart, job, etc left my possibilities open.

What's the hurry? Start saving now and be patient. It will pay.

Old 04-05-2009, 06:59 PM

70 posts, read 281,196 times
For my first place I came up with 50% down payment and my bank loaned me the rest interest free with 1 year to pay it off.

Old 04-06-2009, 12:37 PM

809 posts, read 3,570,185 times
Quote:
Save money faster?

Move in with your parents. Or get a roommate. If you have a roommate, get more roommates.
Buy and eat only Ramon Noodles
Cancel your cable and home phone
Cancel your cell phone or get one for emergencies only
Buy your clothes in a thrift store
Walk, ride a bike, carpool or take bus to work
Get a second job
Sell crap you don't need on Ebay
Put the money you've saved so far in an interest bearing account like a Money Market account or CD

What are your biggest expenses?

Old 04-06-2009, 02:08 PM

3 posts, read 20,783 times
Quote:

Whatever you do, I would suggest that you DO NOT alter any current savings plans for retirement such as foregoing matching contributions to a 401 k plan to save more money. I have seen people do this and it is by far one of the most foolish things a person can do. Even with the recent stock market fiasco, as long as you are always invested in a diverse manner relative to your age, there are absolutely very few savings plan today such as 401 k plans which come with "free money", i.e company matches and savings that are 100% tax -deferred until withdrawal. Those that lost 50% or more of their portfolio in recent months were not properly diversified and have only themselves to blame. You can always borrow for a condo, house, car , education, etc. but at age 65 you do not want to find yourself short half a million dollars for retirement especially with the inevitable changes which will be made with regards to social security. Good luck.

Old 04-06-2009, 02:21 PM

41,965 posts, read 75,205,836 times
Spend less. Save more. It's the only way. There are no shortcuts.

Old 04-06-2009, 02:23 PM

1,155 posts, read 3,389,653 times
check with many lenders, and see if you can qualify for first time loan, and could even get in it, for no money down. Just be sure, your payments, are affordable, and close to what your used to.

Old 04-09-2009, 04:12 PM
SXN

350 posts, read 1,289,432 times
don't get married or have kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate