Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2009, 07:35 PM

3,191 posts, read 9,183,768 times

Advertisements

Great- in a 'good' neighborhood people are willing to talk usually, when you are friendly to them. If they love their neighborhood they will really let you know it Sometimes they even tell you more that you thought possible!

(On one of our houses we went over and introduced ourselves to the couple next door, that were out in the yard messing around. Told then we thought we were going to make an offer Unbeknowst to us, they were the seller's parents LOL. we really hit it off and later found out they were very instrumental in seeing that our reasonable offer was accepted
They were some of the best neighbors we have ever had!!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2009, 07:39 PM

982 posts, read 1,100,223 times
I actually told someone that someone died in that house next door (a fact that needs to be disclosed but wasn't). I felt bad. I assumed that b/c by law they had to disclose it that the buyers knew. They didn't. They didn't buy the house. The owners were a little mad at me but I apologized and explained that by law they had to disclose it and if they hadn't and the people bought it, someone was bound to tell them and they could get sued. So they disclosed it from then on.

Old 04-07-2009, 11:41 PM

503 posts, read 1,454,869 times
That was nice of you Missfancypants.

Old 04-08-2009, 04:12 AM

1,219 posts, read 4,218,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWeavin View Post
my daughter is a first time home buyer and is in no real hurry to purchase. She asked me to ask you guys a couple questions.

She has looked at both new and older homes. Found a 30 year old house that looks immaculate, nice size, lovely yard and recent updates. Seems to have good bones and great neighborhood. No HOA fees

Newer places she's checked out are--well of course-newer. HOA fees ranging from monthly to yearly rates. Small to no yards; which isn't great for her dogs. My concern is that new homes/condos seem to be not very well contructed so no matter how new they are, if the quality of work is shabby then a new home is no better ,in some cases, as an older one.
Basically her concern is-are older homes a risky choice? She knows an inspection will be done but she wants to limit her choices due to the cost per inspection.

Question 2- putting in a bid--daring to low ball? Example: home owner asking 234,000; having recently reduced the cost by 15,000. If she puts in a bid how low should she go? She would like to stay near the 200,000 range.

Question 3- the 30 year old house shes "thnking" on has a huge hot tub on back patio. She has no need nor interest in it and said if she puts in a bid she would want the owner to dispose of the hot tub as she doesn't want to deal with it. Fair enough to ask that of the owner?

She's asked her realtor these questions but until she makes up her mind about a specific place, the realtor's general answer is everything is negotiable.

Any replies appreciated.

1. I've never actually lived in a home less than 30 years old-the housing stock is older where I live, and my 'new' house is 50. I'd go for the nice yard and lack of HOA (I don't like dealing with them). She just needs to know that at some near point, she might have to do the roof or furnace. But, perhaps not, if they've been done already. I would not let the age stop me.

2. She should bid what SHE feels comfortable with and not a penny more

3. I just bought recently a house with a hot tub, too. It was a foreclosure and Freddie Mac would not remove it-I did ask. She should ask. Perhaps they will. If they won't, she'll have to decide what to do with it. In my case, we just now (three months later) looked at it and dh found it just needed a fuse to work! We cleaned and filled it and actually used it for the first time yesterday-although I didn't want it at first, it's actually kind of fun! My kids love it. Your dd could probably give it away on Craigslist if she wants it gone.

Old 04-08-2009, 03:57 PM

6,266 posts, read 19,166,056 times
thanks for your input.
She's putting in an offer today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderintonc View Post
1. I've never actually lived in a home less than 30 years old-the housing stock is older where I live, and my 'new' house is 50. I'd go for the nice yard and lack of HOA (I don't like dealing with them). She just needs to know that at some near point, she might have to do the roof or furnace. But, perhaps not, if they've been done already. I would not let the age stop me.

2. She should bid what SHE feels comfortable with and not a penny more

3. I just bought recently a house with a hot tub, too. It was a foreclosure and Freddie Mac would not remove it-I did ask. She should ask. Perhaps they will. If they won't, she'll have to decide what to do with it. In my case, we just now (three months later) looked at it and dh found it just needed a fuse to work! We cleaned and filled it and actually used it for the first time yesterday-although I didn't want it at first, it's actually kind of fun! My kids love it. Your dd could probably give it away on Craigslist if she wants it gone.

Old 04-08-2009, 04:10 PM

5,615 posts, read 14,793,059 times
So what do the two places look like, anyway? I can't be the only curious one.

Old 04-08-2009, 05:54 PM

6,266 posts, read 19,166,056 times
oh and forgot to add--she wrote a really nice letter to the owners to be included in the offer. Too cheesy?
It's pretty heartfelt about how she can tell they have loved and cared for the home. And how she too would love to make their house her new home and would love and care for it.......that sort of thing.

Old 04-08-2009, 09:27 PM

I think that's really nice.

But I'm sure people think I'm cheesy. So what. It just shows she's a good person, in my book!

Old 04-09-2009, 10:27 AM

23,867 posts, read 33,561,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWeavin View Post
She has looked at both new and older homes. Found a 30 year old house that looks immaculate, nice size, lovely yard and recent updates. Seems to have good bones and great neighborhood. No HOA fees
My 2 pennies..
Our last house was built in 1970. After multiple $10,000 in repairs/upgrades we decided we wanted new. We upgraded the electric, had cable TV wires replaced, wired the crawl space for internet & TV in almost every room, central air, new furnace, took down tons of paneling, redid a mud type room, raising the floor, made a custom laundry area plus paved the driveway, landscaped & added paver walkways. Lots of back breaking work.

New construction - we picked the layout we liked after walking every builder in 3-4 counties. We have a warranty which the builder has been making good on. I love the new house, there are a few things we will change in time but it's a decent house. What sold us on it was the lot. We have large lots here unlike most communities.

Depending on how decent that 30 year old house is, yes I might take it but I also might keep looking until something else comes along. Depending on where you are, there may be new communities in the works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GEORGIAINMT View Post
If that is the case, then if I were her I would pay a visit to some of the neighbors. I would just knock on their doors and politely tell them that I am considering buying a home on their street and find out some things about the neighborhood that are important to her. If it's a new construction home I'd go to the nearest homes that are inhabited.
You would not believe the number of people that contact me here at CD because they see where I bought. If someone knocked on my door, I probably wouldn't say anything bad, and depending on who knocked, might not open my door. I'm to the point where I'm not going to answer any more DM's here about where I live, as people contact me, I type something out then they only reply with a thanks, never once answering any questions I ask them; which pertain to this community, There are various streets I wouldn't live on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsFancyPants View Post
I actually told someone that someone died in that house next door (a fact that needs to be disclosed but wasn't). I felt bad. I assumed that b/c by law they had to disclose it that the buyers knew. They didn't. They didn't buy the house. The owners were a little mad at me but I apologized and explained that by law they had to disclose it and if they hadn't and the people bought it, someone was bound to tell them and they could get sued. So they disclosed it from then on.
Not sure if it is the law here but it isn't being disclosed here.

Someone committed suicide in the house across from my old house, owners didn't know.
My dad died in his house, I highly doubt the buyer was told because if they had been, I think I'd be living there right now.

Old 04-09-2009, 10:30 AM

In CA, if there is a death in the house in the past 3 years, by law it needs to be disclosed. The guy next door to me died in his living room of a heart attack. I might understand the law better if it's a murder or something, but I guess there are people who believe in ghosts??? Those people passed on the house! But someone eventually bought it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate