Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 11:35 AM

498 posts, read 854,273 times

Advertisements

That is the question! We are selling a three year old, nicely maintained condo that is painted entirely in a mustard gold. Some people love it. Others, I am sure, plan to paint it. Should we go ahead and paint the whole place taupe? It seems like a cosmic waste of time and money when the next person will just paint it green or pink or blue. Surely people understand how easy it is to change paint, but maybe it helps take them, mentally, from a more neutral starting point rather than having to undo my paint in their head. Did that make sense?!

A few facts:
1) It is empty so it's easier to paint and give that new look.
2) We are competing with a couple new condos.
3) We are getting few lookers so does paint even matter? Would it help with the pics on-line to get them in? We did just reduce the price by over 4% and I am hoping that will help get people through the door at least.

Any favorite "builder" taupes? One website suggested Benjamin Moore Crown Point Sand. How much does painting a one bedroom 800 square foot condo cost?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2009, 12:03 PM

982 posts, read 1,100,223 times
I am getting bids right now to paint a 900 sf condo in soCal. They're all over the place! I mean, huge range. I just ran an ad on Craigslist and said I was taking bids and listed what all I wanted done (more than paint in my case) and I'd be at the property yesterday b/t 2-3 and 30 guys showed up. I felt HORRIBLE. There are so many people out of work, you should be able to get a decent price. I am picking the colors and they're getting everything and labor. Good luck!

Oh, and in answer to your question, yes, new paint, no matter if they don't like the color, in a neutral shade makes the place look and feel newer, and it's pretty cheap to do.

Old 04-14-2009, 12:06 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times
Yes it's easy to change paint color, but many people want to be able to move in and repaint down the road. By painting a nuetral (I'd go with a cream rather than taupe--it will make the rooms look much larger) you'll give yourself a larger potential audience. it also gives the home that "new house smell" that home buyers love.

Old 04-14-2009, 01:01 PM

498 posts, read 854,273 times
I LOVE that new house smell. I was thinking of repainting the trim in my son's room, just to get the smell.

Hmmm.....so cream, rather than taupe? See, what a slippery slope! There must 8 million shades of creamy taupe-y vanilla.

I never thought of the fact that people might want to paint months or a yea later or something. Interesting!

Hey MsFancyPants, would you like to own a rental condo in Cary, NC? You'd be helping out current and former San Diegans! I hadn't thought about checking craigslist for painters. That's a great tip. Thanks!

Old 04-14-2009, 02:34 PM

161 posts, read 568,461 times
I just "taupified" my house for selling, did it myself (took ages, especially over the red walls and the lime green ones--don't ask)--I used Valspar Bell Grove Bluff from Lowes. I like it because it looks different in every room depending on how the light hits it...it's not too dark and did help make the rooms look huge (combined with removing half the furniture, of course!). :-)

Old 04-14-2009, 03:14 PM

Location: In the North Idaho woods, still surrounded by terriers
2,179 posts, read 7,019,605 times
I painted my entire house a kind of soft beige color...I had lots of color before, even murals on a couple of walls because that was what I loved...but I hoped that by neutralzing everything it would increase a chance of a sale. To date (two months now) I have not had even one looker so I am fearing I may be stuck in a beige house for a very long time. (heavy sigh)

Old 04-14-2009, 03:42 PM

6,196 posts, read 5,444,432 times
Not long ago the general opinion of agents was to neutralize a home for the market. Now with the power of HGtv alot of the agents are saying add some colors, give it some personality, make it stand out ect. After yrs of working with agents I have put the contractor beige up and then went back after it sold and put the colors back. IF the colors are not a "smack ya in the face" color and the walls are clean without damage I would suggest leaving it alone. Probably more important is to declutter and show the finer points of the home, spend the money on a storage unit or carpet cleaners, ect.

Old 04-14-2009, 05:00 PM

182 posts, read 532,094 times
Taupe is good. Just like the "little black dress", you can't go wrong with it. And like another person said, I too LOVE the smell of fresh paint. It may turn people on to the house too and ingrain in their brains that the home is updated and without as much work to do as other musty homes.

Old 04-14-2009, 05:25 PM

161 posts, read 568,461 times
Let me add that while I did repaint the red room and the lime green room and the pumpkin kitchen (to a soft honey butter color), my agent said it was perfectly fine to leave the purple and aqua bathrooms, the gold dining room, the burnt orange living room, and the cinnamon/western theme bedroom of my 5 yo. (Sheesh, my house sounds horrible, doesn't it? I swear it all looked okay at the time!)

She was more concerned with the main family room, the kitchen, and the "alien green slime color" in my 8yo's br. Plus the areas that had NEVER been painted like hallways and foyer that were in rough shape.

Do you have a realtor, and what is his/her professional opinion?

Old 04-14-2009, 06:08 PM

8,228 posts, read 14,219,158 times
Taupes seem to have a grey undertone to me. I like creams, ivories, champagnes better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate