Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2009, 08:29 PM

33 posts, read 139,505 times

Advertisements

We are relocating to western Mass. within the next 6 weeks - going househunting next weekend - have been to the area once, but would LOVE some information on how the market really looks out there - I can see stats on line, but would love if somebody lives/works there and could tell me how it really is.........we will be moving to a suburb outside of Springfield.........

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2009, 09:26 PM

220 posts, read 469,706 times
We currently live in West Springfield, and just put our house on the market. Major, major stress! We are more of the starter market (asking 219,900), and in our range things do seem to be moving. Prices have dropped, but not dramatically. For the higher end homes in the better towns, though, things are quite different. My friend tried to sell her Southwick home, low 500's range, and didn't get a single offer. (This was maybe 4-5 months ago). The higher end stuff in Wilbraham, Longmeadpw, etc really is dropping in price. If that's your market, you're in a great position. Which towns are you considering?

Old 04-17-2009, 10:03 PM

Thank you so much for the response, and good luck with selling your home. We are looking in Agawam and East Longmeadow in the low $300's..............

Old 04-18-2009, 08:00 AM

If you have kids, the East Longmeadow school system has a much better reputation. Agawam is a bit more convenient for highway access, but given a choice I would go with East Longmeadow for sure. I bet you should be able to find something really nice in your price range, something that was probably quite a bit more a year ago. Just from the point of view of resale and schools, in the low 300's I would also consider Wilbraham and Longmeadow. Southwick is also nice, but a bit less convenient. Also, if you're able to look at a longer commute, Easthampton is kind of the up-and-coming Northampton. They seem to have a lot of new construction that's dropped a ton in price.

Old 04-18-2009, 08:58 AM

KRDPM - thank you so much for your replies! We really liked East Longmeadow, but............hubby will have a pretty high-profile job in Agawam and will be working some LONG days M-F, we were thinking Agawam to cut down on any commute and make it easier on him - but we DO have a little one (almost 2) - we had heard good things about the Agawam schools, but did hear that East Longmeadow are "BEST!" :-) So, are Agawam schools not that great, is East Longmeadow just considered wonderful? Any elaboration would be wonderful!

Thank you so much again for your responses and encouraging words - we brought a check for over 30K to closing on our last house, so we are trying to make up for some of that this go around!

Old 04-18-2009, 10:55 PM

30K--yikes! We're having our first open house tomorrow, and I'm dreading the whole thing. I think Longmeadow schools are considered the "best" around here. (East Longmeadow is a separate town) Although there are things I like about West Springfield, I really wouldn't recommend buying here. I think Agawam is considered a (small) step up from W. Spfld, but kind of has a similar feel. It sounds like you'll want to stay on this side of the river to cut down on the commute. Have you considered Southwick? It would be very convenient to Agawam..kind of has a country feel, really pretty. I think it used to be more rural/old-time farmer types, but now is transitioning, lots of bigger upscale homes. Also, Suffield, Ct is a great town, and actually not that far from Agawam.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate