Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2009, 06:02 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,088,107 times

Advertisements

You are playing word games to make you look like a better choice than all other agents.

I think everyone is WELL AWARE of the harm caused by pushing buyers into homes they cannot afford.

Saying, "What training do you have in creating buyer urgency?" is the most ridiculous thing I can imagine a potential buyer asking an agent. Get real.

Word games.

Quote:
Read the post again.
It says, "...'It's a great time to buy a home!' before they know anything about you..."
You disagree with THAT?
It was written in sincerity by a successful agent, yet you state any agent will say, "It's a great time to buy a home!"
Astounding!
And, I think I am not alone in my distaste for carnival antics to prod buyers' emotions to create buyer urgency. So I think buyers do have other choices.
If they choose me? Fine.
If they choose someone else? Fine.
Either way, I just hope they get good representation and are well guided.

It may be a great time to buy. Or not. That is a very personal determination. To vehemently spiel off "It's a great time to buy a home!" without knowing your intended "victim's" situation at all, just to pump up buyer urgency is a great disservice to many potential buyers.
You disagree with THAT?
Amazing.

National Association of Realtors will just love you to pieces.
"It's a great time to Buy!" End of story. No thought or consideration. Just push through to close.
Ouch.
Yep. NAR loves you.

Creating urgency to buy, where there is little or none, is a current trend in creating sales in a slower market, pushing folks into buying, without regard to buyer qualification.
The question is exceedingly relevant, because the classes are taught regularly and seminars are held, and webinars are promoted in creating buyer urgency.
Buyers should make their own decisions without undue duress from an agent, I think.
The response to that odd question may be very interesting, and may tell the prospective client a great deal about the agent.
No game.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2009, 06:07 PM

I'm not saying everyone has to agree that it's a great time to buy.

But to somehow mark an agent as being BAD or unethical or unworthy because he or she offhandedly utters the phrase, "Now is a great time to buy" is totally, unequivocally ridiculous.

Lilworld wrote:
Quote:
I want a house, have the required down payment and more (30%+), have excellent credit and still do not think now is a great time to buy. It is slightly better than the 2004-2007 era when sellers had a great time, but that still doesn't make it a great time to buy. Sure, interest rates are low, but I don't see them going up anytime soon - if it did I'd be happy, some of my money in the bank which is doing nothing will start earning something.

Personally I believe, the triangle is not immune to the downturn (as so many on this forum claim). We also definitely had a bubble, a smaller one than CA maybe, but still definitely a bubble. I also see houses being listed for ridiculous prices - people seem to want a 5-20% appreciation post 2006 on home prices. Those prices will have to come down. We also see that unemployment in the triangle is increasing - how then can housing here sustain its prices?

Prices will have to go lower, interest rates will stay either were they are, or increase moderately (6 to 7%).

Old 04-19-2009, 06:24 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,271,582 times
What the heck is going on with this thread. The OP asked an honest question and got some good feedback. Now we are headed down some silly rabbit hole.

To the OP, go with your plan of interviewing a few agents to see who you feel comfortable with. A good Agent will sit down with you and explain what representation means, what their duty is to you, and what your responsibilities are as well. I would strongly encourage you to consider adding the two RE agents who responded on the first page of this thread to your list of agents to interview. Skip the seminar, find a good agent who can teach you the ropes and you enjoy working with. Good luck!

Old 04-19-2009, 06:32 PM

Sorry, I cannot sit idly by while the original poster is being given "word game" advice.

However, I am sure the two real estate agents who posted are very good at what they do.

Old 04-19-2009, 06:37 PM

43,264 posts, read 77,033,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post
You are playing word games to make you look like a better choice than all other agents.

I think everyone is WELL AWARE of the harm caused by pushing buyers into homes they cannot afford.

Saying, "What training do you have in creating buyer urgency?" is the most ridiculous thing I can imagine a potential buyer asking an agent. Get real.

Word games.
With your penchant for pushing for the sale, I would easily agree with you that I would be a better choice than you to counsel the OP regarding a real estate purchase.

No word games. "Games" connotes insincerity.
I believe what I have posted.

"It's a great time to buy!" is hackneyed and overworked.
No game.
I believe that statement.

Agents who spout off "It's a great time to buy!" to prospective buyers without learning any information or giving consideration regarding the Buyer's capability are possibly inept, or possibly unethical.
No game.
I believe it.

I hope the OP's choices are good and rewarding, and certainly wish the OP well.
And I hope she escapes the duress of outside pressure for urgency from people who need a pay day.
No game.
I mean it.

She indicated a desire to avoid high pressure. She got honest and sincere advice on how to help her avoid high pressure.
No game.
It is that simple.

Old 04-19-2009, 06:40 PM

Yeah, umm, okay.

I wasn't "pushing any sale." I was pointing out ridiculousness.

Quit while you're ahead. I'm not an agent.

End.

Old 04-19-2009, 06:59 PM

10,966 posts, read 21,970,243 times
Probably not necessary at this point but I agree with all the "find an agent" advice and forget the books and seminars.

Old 04-19-2009, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilWorld View Post
I want a house, have the required down payment and more (30%+), have excellent credit and still do not think now is a great time to buy. It is slightly better than the 2004-2007 era when sellers had a great time, but that still doesn't make it a great time to buy. Sure, interest rates are low, but I don't see them going up anytime soon - if it did I'd be happy, some of my money in the bank which is doing nothing will start earning something.

Personally I believe, the triangle is not immune to the downturn (as so many on this forum claim). We also definitely had a bubble, a smaller one than CA maybe, but still definitely a bubble. I also see houses being listed for ridiculous prices - people seem to want a 5-20% appreciation post 2006 on home prices. Those prices will have to come down. We also see that unemployment in the triangle is increasing - how then can housing here sustain its prices?

Prices will have to go lower, interest rates will stay either were they are, or increase moderately (6 to 7%).
You speak too many absolutes. You may think some of that, but you don't know. It is a great time to buy for some but not for all. If you're looking long term it probably is a great time to buy. If you're looking for a 3-5 year home, not a first time buyer, and are in temporary location it probably isn't the time to buy.

Also, why do you think you'll make more money if interest rates go up as opposed to buying.

Old 04-19-2009, 07:11 PM

60 posts, read 119,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Hoffman View Post
You speak too many absolutes. You may think some of that, but you don't know. It is a great time to buy for some but not for all. If you're looking long term it probably is a great time to buy. If you're looking for a 3-5 year home, not a first time buyer, and are in temporary location it probably isn't the time to buy.

Also, why do you think you'll make more money if interest rates go up as opposed to buying.
Brandon, with prices falling everywhere, it's a horrible time to buy. The only thing you need to know is that you won't get the unvarnished truth from agents.

Old 04-19-2009, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by telemonster View Post
A few hints. When the median home (price per square foot I guess) for sale is 3 times the median household income, that makes a bit more sense.
You are talking about when it's a good time to buy based on median price but you're not even sure what median price is.
Quote:
When people think it's a bad idea to buy a house, that's a good time.
So you've said it's not a good time to buy, so does that mean it is actually a good time to buy?
Quote:
The idea of low interest rates making it a good time to buy is a total fallacy. Real Estate agents and brokers say this stuff, and it's absolutely dumb. If the interest rates are high, then to sell a house the principal amount will have to come down. So if you have a 2% interest rate and can buy a house for $350,000, or a 10% interest rate and the same house is on the market for $190,000... then B is better. You get to write off more interest payments on your taxes. You get to pay off the house early if you wish (pay a little extra, and really own it sooner!). And there is hope that interest rates will go down. On top of this, for those that have savings, they actually earn a return on their money.
You are making the assumption and price and interest rates are dependant on each other, but this is incorrect. If home prices remain stable and rates go down, it is a good time to buy because you will have lower payments and less interest to pay. The buyer could just as easily use the extra money to pay the principal balance down.

Quote:
There is NO REASON that low interest rates and record high prices are good for buyers. It's only good for Real Estate agents (new and used home salespeople) in terms of their commissions. Realtors have a low barrier of entry. They are NOT financial advisers. They are sales people. DO NOT TRUST THEM! I'm sorry, but the marketing from the NAR And other trade associations has painted a picture like your realtor is some sort of financial adviser. If real financial advisers gave the advice that Realtors give, they'd loose their license, be banned from the industry, and perhaps in jail.
So you think low rates and prices that have adjusted downward are bad for buyers? Uhh, the financial advisors that told people to invest in RE or the stock market...are you saying they don't exist? Or if they did they have lost licenses and been put in jail? Do you even know what a Realtors job is? Because last time I checked nobody ever bought a house they didn't want because of the Realtor. I wish I had some Realtor Mind Tricks like that. "Buyer, this is the house you're looking for!" (while waving my hand in front of their face)

Give me a break. I singled out your post because it is rife with misinformation. It may or may not be the right time to buy a home but if you're going to give advice you'd better at least have a clue what you're talking about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate