Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2009, 09:10 PM

1,176 posts, read 1,820,094 times

Advertisements

What is the real estate aristocracy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2009, 09:37 PM

1,989 posts, read 4,466,444 times
Not sure, but my guess is it refers to posters who dump on renters as being somehow subhuman or believe that anyone who wants prices to come down before buying is somehow a lower class of buyer/owner (as opposed to just a more cautious or savvy buyer).

Might also be those folks in high priced areas who say "it won't happen here, because people here are so wealthy, they can afford to ride it out and aren't effected by silly things like severe global recessions" (paraphrasing and exaggerating to make the point)

Old 04-24-2009, 09:50 PM

2,771 posts, read 6,276,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VMH2507 View Post
This requires a lengthy explanation to do it justice, I'll do my best.

The short answer is, what I call the "real estate aristocracy" are home owners who bought at pre-bubble prices, and for goodness knows what reason, think they are entitled to sell at post-bubble prices.

To expound a little -- I am referring specifically to those who believe that

(a) if your budget is 400k, you have no business "window shopping" for (and possible low balling) a "500k home" (e.g. a home that the owner purchased for 250k in 1999).

(b) you should buy now, but you should only buy what you can afford (because the seller is entitled to his capital gains).

(c) you can eventually earn the right to live in a bigger place, by working your way up the property ladder. Of course if prices go up indefinitely, eventually no-one can afford the bottom rung! besides, the "property ladder" only makes sense if prices are increasing.

(d) are worried that "bottom feeders" (who happen to earn 1.5-2x what the home owner earns) will buy houses that they "shouldn't" be able to buy (including the home owners, which rightfully appreciated, having benefited from him/her keeping the toilet seat warm for 5 years, and "upgrading" the carpet to a different color).

Some examples (not all that great, there are better ones but this is what I dug up):

//www.city-data.com/forum/7549144-post146.html
//www.city-data.com/forum/7105266-post194.html

My analysis of why the "property ladder" works if prices are increasing:

//www.city-data.com/forum/7556733-post174.html

Old 04-24-2009, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cohdane View Post
Not sure, but my guess is it refers to posters who dump on renters as being somehow subhuman or believe that anyone who wants prices to come down before buying is somehow a lower class of buyer/owner (as opposed to just a more cautious or savvy buyer).
That's close to it, but there's more to it. It's not only this, they believe that they are entitled to a better deal for no other reason than they got in first.

Old 04-24-2009, 10:04 PM

Location: Halfway between Number 4 Privet Drive and Forks, WA
1,516 posts, read 4,591,098 times
Quote:

Might also be those folks in high priced areas who say "it won't happen here, because people here are so wealthy, they can afford to ride it out and aren't effected by silly things like severe global recessions" (paraphrasing and exaggerating to make the point)
LOL, who on this thread dumped on renters? LIC accused me of hanging out in my mom's nonexistant basement! I will admit I have called a couple of folks on this forum a bitter renter before, but I don't think I've ever said renting is bad or you're subhuman for renting. Renting is cool...if that's how you roll...

(As for the rest...I'm glad I'm not in one of those high priced bubble areas..call it denial if you must..LOL)

Old 04-24-2009, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PotterGeek View Post
LOL, who on this thread dumped on renters? LIC accused me of hanging out in my mom's nonexistant basement! I will admit I have called a couple of folks on this forum a bitter renter before, but I don't think I've ever said renting is bad or you're subhuman for renting. Renting is cool...if that's how you roll...

(As for the rest...I'm glad I'm not in one of those high priced bubble areas..call it denial if you must..LOL)
The "real estate aristocracy" was not a reference to you.

No-one has been accused of dumping on renters in this thread, but if you'd like to confess to it anyway, go right ahead

Old 04-24-2009, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elflord1973 View Post
The "real estate aristocracy" was not a reference to you.

No-one has been accused of dumping on renters in this thread, but if you'd like to confess to it anyway, go right ahead
If I were dumping on renters, I'd have no reason to deny it

***oops...there's that word again..."deny"

gotta LOVE it!!!!

Old 04-24-2009, 10:23 PM

1,989 posts, read 4,466,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PotterGeek View Post

Sorry, wasn't referring to this thread in particular. Been flitting around a bit with a fried brain and saw the "real estate aristocracy" reference and question.

Responded in a bit of a vacuum.

FWIW, I've also read renters dumping on owners on these boards.

Whole lotta dumping goin' on... If we all had pies, this board would be a Marx Brothers movie.

Old 04-24-2009, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Sorry, wasn't referring to this thread in particular. Been flitting around a bit with a fried brain and saw the "real estate aristocracy" reference and question.

Responded in a bit of a vacuum.

FWIW, I've also read renters dumping on owners on these boards.

Whole lotta dumping goin' on... If we all had pies, this board would be a Marx Brothers movie.
Gotcha..and yes, you're right about the dumping

Old 04-25-2009, 09:01 AM

982 posts, read 1,100,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VMH2507 View Post
According to some on this board, anyone who owns a piece of real estate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate