Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2009, 12:58 PM

353 posts, read 802,538 times

Advertisements

Big Drop Ahead for Home Prices? - WSJ.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2009, 01:28 PM

182 posts, read 532,094 times
Very interesting that they say distressed homes made up for more than 50% of the homes sold! That has to hurt the bottom line for seller's who's homes are not at that bargain basement price, that is, if the article is accurate.

Interesting... :O)

Old 04-24-2009, 01:28 PM

1,149 posts, read 4,205,754 times
Quote:
It's like the old joke about the man with the million dollar dog ("Well, I haven't sold him yet!").
Nice line, lol.

Old 04-24-2009, 04:02 PM

6,957 posts, read 22,311,234 times
If you read the article carefully you will notice that the data is from ONE MONTH. Then it goes on to talk about some sort of trend that one is supposed to be seeing.

"On the other hand, those who don't have to sell are often hanging on to 2006 prices. And they are hanging on to their homes.

Prices aren't dropping. And homes aren't selling."

"Prices haven't come down much. In some premium neighborhoods they have may even be rising."

Oh really? What planet is that on?

"Brett has spent his life rifling through department store bargain bins in London, Boston and New York, and that's pretty much the same way he views markets."

That explains a few things.

Pretty nice hack job.

Old 04-24-2009, 04:25 PM

982 posts, read 1,100,223 times
I started to say similar things a few times, and then just asked myself "oh, why bother?" LOL! And I erased my post(s).

More often than not, I just read these threads and move along. People find articles/stats/information to fit what they want/need the market to be and there is so much conflicting information out there it will make your head explode.

But thanks for articulating what I was thinking. It saved me the trouble but I wanted to at least say I agree!

Old 04-24-2009, 04:30 PM

Location: Halfway between Number 4 Privet Drive and Forks, WA
1,516 posts, read 4,590,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMenscha View Post
If you read the article carefully you will notice that the data is from ONE MONTH. Then it goes on to talk about some sort of trend that one is supposed to be seeing.

"On the other hand, those who don't have to sell are often hanging on to 2006 prices. And they are hanging on to their homes.

Prices aren't dropping. And homes aren't selling."

"Prices haven't come down much. In some premium neighborhoods they have may even be rising."

Oh really? What planet is that on?

"Brett has spent his life rifling through department store bargain bins in London, Boston and New York, and that's pretty much the same way he views markets."

That explains a few things.

Pretty nice hack job.

Don't it, though? +3 for DMenscha

Old 04-24-2009, 04:34 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
From the same author: Time to buy......

Should You Buy a Home Right Now? - WSJ.com

Old 04-24-2009, 06:09 PM

1,615 posts, read 3,581,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsimon521 View Post
Very interesting that they say distressed homes made up for more than 50% of the homes sold! That has to hurt the bottom line for seller's who's homes are not at that bargain basement price, that is, if the article is accurate.

The humerous thing is that they twist it to exclaim that home sales are up!

Old 04-24-2009, 06:59 PM

Location: Halfway between Number 4 Privet Drive and Forks, WA
1,516 posts, read 4,590,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsimon521 View Post

Hmm...I'll have to let my non-distressed neighbor know that whose house went under contract in under 30 days. Bargain basement? Nah...Priced right? I'd say so...

Old 04-24-2009, 10:04 PM

2,771 posts, read 6,275,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
From the same author: Time to buy......

Should You Buy a Home Right Now? - WSJ.com
He's not saying to "negotiate" with a "seller" who lists at a 2006 price, he's saying, show up to a foreclosure auction and bid 20% below the comps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate