Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2009, 10:18 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times

Advertisements

When I fill out feedback, and I indicate that the property is overpriced, for my client, it IS overpriced, as they are likely to come in with an offer below list price if they place an offer. I would be failing in my legal fiduciary responsibility to my clients to say otherwise. Since you are licensed but only practice for yourself, you likely don't get the legal and ethical update training that's required for all agents who practice for the public. The chances of you suing your agent for failure in your fiduciary responsibility to you, since your agent is yourself, are diminished, too.

As far as problems with the house that might make it more difficult to sell, I'm more than happy to put that in the feedback, if such exists, to help the listing agent and the sellers, if it's something they can fix.

Most times, though, it's simply that the house and the buyer aren't a match. The chemistry is wrong, or there's something about it that wasn't obvious before seeing it that didn't meet their needs, or the floorplan doesn't work for them, and there's not a thing that the seller or listing agent can do about that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2009, 10:21 AM

982 posts, read 1,100,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
When I fill out feedback, and I indicate that the property is overpriced, for my client, it IS overpriced, as they are likely to come in with an offer below list price if they place an offer. I would be failing in my legal fiduciary responsibility to my clients to say otherwise. Since you are licensed but only practice for yourself, you likely don't get the legal and ethical update training that's required for all agents who practice for the public. The chances of you suing your agent for failure in your fiduciary responsibility to you, since your agent is yourself, are diminished, too.

As far as problems with the house that might make it more difficult to sell, I'm more than happy to put that in the feedback, if such exists, to help the listing agent and the sellers, if it's something they can fix.

Most times, though, it's simply that the house and the buyer aren't a match. The chemistry is wrong, or there's something about it that wasn't obvious before seeing it that didn't meet their needs, or the floorplan doesn't work for them, and there's not a thing that the seller or listing agent can do about that.
You have consistently made inaccurate assumptions about me. This time is no exception.

If you're not lying when you give feedback, then my comment wasn't directed at you.

Old 04-26-2009, 10:39 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by In the Pines View Post
Wow - lot of responses...

middle-aged - my initial question was about the strategy of feedback, not whether or not it is reliable. If it is known that some agents or buyers use feedback to their advantage, then it could be considered helpful even if the meaning is twisted.

I asked a general question and you seemed to try to make it about my personal property with comments like "unsellable listing". You appear to be presuming quite a lot. Are you still actively consulting???
In every market there are unsellable listings. This means that until such time the sellers of these homes come to grips with how markets work, they will not get sold.

In every market, there are agents who consistently create perception of substantially greater value than that which is supported by the facts of the market. They do this because consumers have a tendency to hire the agent who they believe can get them more money. Such agents let the market/feedback wear their client down.

I know nothing about you, your home, your area or your agent. I have absolutely no idea if your home falls into this category or not.

Getting sold is very stressful. This may be why some are inclined to take general information about how markets work personally.

As is the case on all online forums, take what you need and leave the rest.
There is no need to make it personal.

Old 04-26-2009, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsFancyPants View Post
You have consistently made inaccurate assumptions about me. This time is no exception.

If you're not lying when you give feedback, then my comment wasn't directed at you.
I made no assumption in the post quoted except that you wouldn't sue yourself (with the appropriate in place).

The bit about you practicing only for yourself was taken from what you, yourself, said.

Perhaps you mean the part about likely not getting the legal/ethical update training (just went through that myself, as a matter of fact, and the legal changes were eye-opening - the ethics is just basic ethics, but apparently some folks need a reminder every 3 years or so as to what is, indeed, ethical). Perhaps you do have to get that training, and if that assumption was incorrect, I apologize.

Old 04-26-2009, 10:49 AM

Quote:

I made no assumption in the post quoted except that you wouldn't sue yourself (with the appropriate in place).

The bit about you practicing only for yourself was taken from what you, yourself, said.

Perhaps you mean the part about likely not getting the legal/ethical update training (just went through that myself, as a matter of fact, and the legal changes were eye-opening - the ethics is just basic ethics, but apparently some folks need a reminder every 3 years or so as to what is, indeed, ethical). Perhaps you do have to get that training, and if that assumption was incorrect, I apologize.

As for your comment not being directed at me, I'm an agent. What you said was:

Forget the feedback. I don't even ask for it. I'm an FSBO. They're usually full of crap! LIke these guys have said, it's not honest or ethical (although they really all claim to be, you know they're realtors and all that, and that REQUIRES that they deal with everyone honestly) but they don't do it in practice.

That paints all agents with a broad brush, myself included.

Old 04-26-2009, 11:21 AM

I said "they're usually full of crap." "Like these guys have said."

That is pretty narrow, actually. There are hundreds of thousands of realtors/real estate agents in the country. Only a few responded here.

I can only say like my mama used to: If the shoe fits.

And yes, you assumed incorrectly that I don't/haven't taken continuing education in the ethics/legal categories. All agents in CA must take those continuing education classes to remain active.

I guess I've just seen too many instances of unethical/dishonest real estate agents, just like I have lawyers, doctors, etc. But on this forum, many want to spout about how this and that is unethical (especially the thread about the realtor/client on the RE professional forum), but they're just as unethical/dishonest when it suits them.

I don't see any moral high ground here.

Old 04-26-2009, 11:41 AM

10,965 posts, read 21,985,795 times
Quote:
It doesn't matter. I'm not saying you were right or wrong. I was simply telling the OP that that is WHY feedback is crap. Realtors don't tell the truth on the feedback.
That's not true. Often feedback is honest but the only real feedback that matters is did they make an offer, why or why not?

Quote:
If realtors were truly ethical, as you claim you have the responsibility to be to ALL parties, you would bypass the feedback or honestly say, Any feedback I could give you would compromise my ethical duty to my client, so I am declining to do so.
Realtors have responsibility to their clients. We owe honesty to all parties about material facts. An opinion of the buyer or agent on pricing is an opinion and not a material fact. You are incorrect.

Just because you are licensed does not mean you understand all subjects on real estate or a Realtors job since you aren't actually one and don't work with other clients. You are certainly entitled to your opinion but don't pass it off as fact or more than the next joe in line because you have a license. This is based on a cumulation of posts, not just this thread.

Old 04-26-2009, 11:47 AM

Again, making incorrect assumptions about me. You have ABSOLUTELY no idea of my background, professional education or how many degrees I hold or what they're in, how many continuing classes I've taken, the transactions I've been involved in, my previous employment and how that relates to/ties in to the real estate profession. Where did I pass off my opinion as fact?

You quoted my post about realtors and their ethics. I started that sentence with "IF" so right there that connotes it's not a fact. I go on to say "as you claim," which also connotes that that is not a fact. And you quoted that sentence out of context, which is irresponsible and unethical on your part. That was in answer to a question of "what would YOU have us do." This is what I would have you do. How is that passing it off as fact?

And this is based on my assumption that you're still peed off at me over the thread about the realtor/client on the other forum, and not just this post! LOL!

Old 04-26-2009, 11:57 AM

10,965 posts, read 21,985,795 times
Quote:

And this is based on my assumption that you're still peed off at me over the thread about the realtor/client on the other forum, and not just this post! LOL!
Actually it's based on your constant attitude and repeated comments that I disagree with...

Old 04-26-2009, 12:00 PM

Then use the ignore feature. Don't be a big baby about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate