Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2009, 11:33 AM

6,795 posts, read 7,288,026 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba steve View Post
How are they screwing people? If it's beyond whatever they would recover to
1) finish the unbuilt places (and remedy the fact that the exposed materials don't survive well in the open elements), 2) repair the extensive damage to the nearly-finished houses and 3) build the infrastructure required to sell them
why would anyone do it? It makes zero sense.
They said it would take 1 million to bring the houses up to speed, that figure is probably high because banks lie about everything, but we will use their figures. There were 4 model houses and 12 unfinished houses for a total of 16, that would put the cost to bring them up to speed at 60k per house. Would you buy one of those houses for 60K?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2009, 02:25 PM

5,615 posts, read 14,791,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhcom View Post
They said it would take 1 million to bring the houses up to speed, that figure is probably high because banks lie about everything, but we will use their figures. There were 4 model houses and 12 unfinished houses for a total of 16, that would put the cost to bring them up to speed at 60k per house. Would you buy one of those houses for 60K?
No I wouldn't. And I don't think $60K per house is unrealistic - there was incredible damage done to everything out there. Not to mention the fact that if I'm selling new houses I have to warrant things for I believe 10 years in California. That's a great leap of faith to take on what's been open to vandals for so long.

The models I wouldn't touch for $60K because
$60K + cost to repair the damage > sale price minus cost to sell
The economics aren't there.

But the unfinished ones are a worse deal because of all that has to be scrapped from the beginning. Things like insulation, plumbing, wires, house wrap, even framing lumber. They don't handle being exposed to the elements well and if they've been out there more than a few months are unusable. Once again we have
$60K + cost to dispose existing damaged materials + cost to build > the sale price

It's like a car - at some point you've gotta let it go when it costs more to bring back into good condition than it's worth. Things do get damaged beyond economic repair.

Old 05-10-2009, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba steve View Post
No I wouldn't. And I don't think $60K per house is unrealistic - there was incredible damage done to everything out there. Not to mention the fact that if I'm selling new houses I have to warrant things for I believe 10 years in California. That's a great leap of faith to take on what's been open to vandals for so long.

The models I wouldn't touch for $60K because
$60K + cost to repair the damage > sale price minus cost to sell
The economics aren't there.

But the unfinished ones are a worse deal because of all that has to be scrapped from the beginning. Things like insulation, plumbing, wires, house wrap, even framing lumber. They don't handle being exposed to the elements well and if they've been out there more than a few months are unusable. Once again we have
$60K + cost to dispose existing damaged materials + cost to build > the sale price

It's like a car - at some point you've gotta let it go when it costs more to bring back into good condition than it's worth. Things do get damaged beyond economic repair.
This is BS, you are speculating about things, you do not know about. I invest in real estate in Riverside Co. I have seen these houses and I would have bought them in a heartbeat and made 1.5 to 2 mil on the deal.

Old 05-10-2009, 07:24 PM

764 posts, read 1,597,987 times
Quote:
This is BS, you are speculating about things, you do not know about. I invest in real estate in Riverside Co. I have seen these houses and I would have bought them in a heartbeat and made 1.5 to 2 mil on the deal.
I find it interesting that someone with the expertise and vision could not have made this work - I assume the structures were solid and fixing the infrastructure was not insurmountable.

Oh well. We the taxpayers paid for it anyway.

Old 05-10-2009, 08:49 PM

5,278 posts, read 6,211,973 times
In my area a neighboring town basically condemned and razed an unfinished condo complex a couple of years ago. If those homes had been as picked over a couple of people suggest and open to the elements I guarantee you the banks legal council was also yelling 'raze' at the top of his/her lungs as well.

Putting in roads/water & sewer lines/sidewalks takes time. And if they are not in place yet the bank might be stuck paying fines til they were all in and up to snuff. And with no guarantee the houses would sell I think it would be pouring good money after bad to sink another $1mil into infrastruction, a couple of hundred apeice on 8 other homes and a tens of thousands on each of the existing four. Thats probably 2.5 to 3 million just to get to a point that everything is salable.

I think taking them down was prudent and even defensible from a public safety standpoint. And if the bank goes into default it won't be stuck with a mini-sudvision with a couple of Bluth houses tha makes it look inept.

I've worked on projects (from the arhictecture end) that had the plug pulled becuase even though X dollars were invested, changes in the market, increases in construction costs and tighter codes (meaning someone drug their feet and faced higher construction costs) pushed the cost of the proposed properties beyond what the people were willing to spend. Like Kenny sang- you gotta know when to fold them. And chalk the initial $ up as a lesson learned.

Old 05-11-2009, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpeatie View Post
In my area a neighboring town basically condemned and razed an unfinished condo complex a couple of years ago. If those homes had been as picked over a couple of people suggest and open to the elements I guarantee you the banks legal council was also yelling 'raze' at the top of his/her lungs as well.

Putting in roads/water & sewer lines/sidewalks takes time. And if they are not in place yet the bank might be stuck paying fines til they were all in and up to snuff. And with no guarantee the houses would sell I think it would be pouring good money after bad to sink another $1mil into infrastruction, a couple of hundred apeice on 8 other homes and a tens of thousands on each of the existing four. Thats probably 2.5 to 3 million just to get to a point that everything is salable.

I think taking them down was prudent and even defensible from a public safety standpoint. And if the bank goes into default it won't be stuck with a mini-sudvision with a couple of Bluth houses tha makes it look inept.

I've worked on projects (from the arhictecture end) that had the plug pulled becuase even though X dollars were invested, changes in the market, increases in construction costs and tighter codes (meaning someone drug their feet and faced higher construction costs) pushed the cost of the proposed properties beyond what the people were willing to spend. Like Kenny sang- you gotta know when to fold them. And chalk the initial $ up as a lesson learned.

What are you talking about? Who builds homes without any infrastructure? Do you really think they went out and built these houses without water, sewers, and roads? Why am I even wasting my time...............never mind.

Old 05-13-2009, 07:34 AM

5,615 posts, read 14,791,891 times
Quote:
Ok, fine. The engineer doesn't understand how residential construction materials degrade after exposure to the elements...

You don't have a leg to stand on here. You complain about speculating on the condition of the raw materials, and then go on to speculate on how much you could've made? I'd love to see some of the houses you've built with all of your bowed and UV-damaged lumber. Nice, straight walls I'm sure.

Old 05-13-2009, 05:56 PM

835 posts, read 3,978,206 times
I'll admit i didn't read all the posts so if I'm repeating - sorry.

There is a local builder here in NC that has filed for BK and laid of 90% of its employees. They have dozens of half finshed homes in several towns. 1 of the towns has threatened to go in and level the homes after declaring them a nusciance if they don't get back to work on them- which obviously they can't at this time. Could be something similar happening with these houses.

Old 05-13-2009, 10:21 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,200,574 times
The problem was the site...not the houses. The site needed expensive completion before any house would be legal.

The bank believed that those site improvements were not viable for years. So they tore down the structures to avoid ongong fines.

This is perfectly rationale behaviour.

Old 05-14-2009, 12:03 AM

220 posts, read 1,028,199 times
It's just wood and stucco and drywall (lots of it probably damaged). They still own the property which I assume is worth a lot more than a trashed and gutted house. Maybe the insurance company paid for the loss?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate