Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2009, 01:07 PM

830 posts, read 1,058,191 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PotterGeek View Post
That's true, however, the majority of buyers are not going to take a gamble on "maybe" their home getting rezoned into a better school district...

I don't think she's talking about a gamble, in the town where I have my house for sale, you can request that your child go to a different school zone/district. It is allowed and the only drawback is that you are responsible for your child's transportation (which of course is fair). My friend rezoned her daughter so I could put her daughter on the bus with mine. She is a single mother and had to start work before school started in the am. It worked out great. Thank goodness our town allows this and I would think other might too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2009, 01:25 PM

Location: Halfway between Number 4 Privet Drive and Forks, WA
1,516 posts, read 4,579,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozenAngel View Post
I don't think she's talking about a gamble, in the town where I have my house for sale, you can request that your child go to a different school zone/district. It is allowed and the only drawback is that you are responsible for your child's transportation (which of course is fair). My friend rezoned her daughter so I could put her daughter on the bus with mine. She is a single mother and had to start work before school started in the am. It worked out great. Thank goodness our town allows this and I would think other might too.
But *who* would know that? The average home buyer is not going to be privy to that info during an initial home search...and that in itself is how the home will be overlooked and passed over for those homes already in the best districts...

Old 05-03-2009, 02:35 PM

15,490 posts, read 40,182,593 times
Quote:
Out here the principal of the school you want to transfer to has to approve the change. It's not easy out here and I would never encourage someone to purchase a house in hopes of doing that.

Old 05-03-2009, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PotterGeek View Post
But *who* would know that? The average home buyer is not going to be privy to that info during an initial home search...and that in itself is how the home will be overlooked and passed over for those homes already in the best districts...
HELLOOO, have you heard of the telephone and information? Directory assistance can you please give me the number of XYZ school so I can speak to the principle about their district criteria. This isn't rocket science.

Old 05-03-2009, 02:43 PM

982 posts, read 1,093,158 times
You're not going to find many buyers who will do that, tho, Angel. Potter is correct. School districts play a very important role in the decision-making of where to buy, not only when people have children but for their resale. Expecting buyers to call information and then call the school is unrealistic. Especially in this market when they can go down the street and find the same or similar homes that are in the district they want.

Agreed, Potter, the home will be overlooked by many b/c of a bad school district. Nothing you can do about that.

Old 05-03-2009, 02:48 PM

6,196 posts, read 5,430,435 times
A simple phone call does not always get your child into a different school system, and even if there is a possibility of a transfer the buyer may not find out until days before school starts. Buyers with children look at the zoned school system, just another thing they won't gamble on and should not.

Old 05-03-2009, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsFancyPants View Post
You're not going to find many buyers who will do that, tho, Angel. Potter is correct. School districts play a very important role in the decision-making of where to buy, not only when people have children but for their resale. Expecting buyers to call information and then call the school is unrealistic. Especially in this market when they can go down the street and find the same or similar homes that are in the district they want.

Agreed, Potter, the home will be overlooked by many b/c of a bad school district. Nothing you can do about that.
Just think how great someone could make out if they did the leg work and found they could switch districts. I don't know your area but I have looked into other states to live and I have found a few areas that do allow you to switch. Think about it, you are paying taxes in the town where the schools are you should be able to pick which school. Who knows, maybe they legally can't say no, they just let you THINK you can't change schools. It's just like the schools telling parents they HAVE to have their child immunized but my kids aren't and I have yet to find school that has refused my child.

I think if you fall in love with a house it is worth checking out. What do you have to loose? The other option is private schools. A good realtor would have a list of private schools ready for a potential buyer, yes?

Old 05-03-2009, 02:59 PM

1,817 posts, read 6,833,915 times
I agree with many other posters that the photo's need reworked. I love the outside of the house but the photo there is so tight I wonder what's next to the house that the realtor doesn't want people to see. Not saying there is something but that's where my mind goes.

The yard is nice but the brown grass isn't a good visual. Is it greened up now?

The living room pic has too many things around the fireplace. It makes it look crowded. I don't like the way it feels in the photo. I'd like it better without the seat and TV.

The bedroom pic is ok with the bed but leave out the ceiling pic because the room looks really small in that photo.

The photo of what I guess might be the dormers with an oddball wall I'd just leave out all together.

I also agree with the poster who said a splash of color. It does look sterile.

Looks like it's a nice house though

Old 05-03-2009, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the painter View Post
A simple phone call does not always get your child into a different school system, and even if there is a possibility of a transfer the buyer may not find out until days before school starts. Buyers with children look at the zoned school system, just another thing they won't gamble on and should not.
Then why look at the school system at all! You heard the other post about buying a home and the the area is redistricted. That happens often. The 3 sales I had on my house the district here was changed twice in a very short period of time. So it's a gamble to assume the district is going to stay the same when you buy the house. Even more reason to see how strict the system is about transfers, right?

Old 05-03-2009, 03:55 PM

Location: Halfway between Number 4 Privet Drive and Forks, WA
1,516 posts, read 4,579,574 times
Quote:
HELLOOO, have you heard of the telephone and information? Directory assistance can you please give me the number of XYZ school so I can speak to the principle about their district criteria. This isn't rocket science.
Sorry...you're not gonna find most buyers willing to do that. That's just how it is...

Let me give you a glimpse into a buyers mind...especially those with kids...

First, you decide *which* (a) area to move to, then you narrow it down by (b) best schools, then you look at homes in your (c) price range in that district.

It's not (a) area, (b) homes in my price range, (c) then schools.

Hope that clarifies how alot of great homes can get passed over before they even get seen...

(And...with the chance of redistricting...that's why buyers are looking for areas where all the schools nearby are good, in case that happens)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate