Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2009, 07:09 PM

18 posts, read 55,211 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone! Thanks for all of the advice on my other thread (re: resale value). My husband flew out to Mass to view the home today and he liked it - so we made an offer! But I am nervous - I followed all advice here and had our realtor do a thorough CMA so we could arrive at our offering price based on what the home is really WORTH. Making sure we are not paying more than the home is truly worth is really important to us - we recently sold our home in Georgia and brought a SUBSTANTIAL check to closing as our home lost so much value in the 5 years we owned it, and we HAD to sell in the midst of the housing meltdown due. So we are a bit gun-shy as scraping together that kind of money just to be able to sell our home was heartbreaking, but we did what we had to do based on our situation at the time.

Sooooo - the home was listed at $349K. Three homes sold within 5 miles of our home in the past 6 months with similiar square footage. 2100 sq feet=$280K, 2000sq feet=$305K, 1900 sq feet = $320K. Interiors/lots similiar. The home we offered on is approx. 1800 sq feet (though the agent put it in the computer at 2600+ sq feet, he included the finished basement which shouldn't be included in the sq feet according to our realtor). The 3 homes used for comps also had full finished basements.

SOOOOOOO we offered $303k with $3,000 seller concessions..............

So I guess I am worried that the seller will think our offer was a lowball offer, but in our defense, we offered what the comps told us the home was worth. We were prepared to pay more, but after seeing the comps, we don't think the home would appraise anywhere near their asking price.

The home is currently occupied by renters who disclosed to my husband today while he was viewing the home that they were moving out of state mid-June.

The home just came on the market this past week.

Any advice/thoughts/words of encouragement???????????????????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2009, 07:12 PM

982 posts, read 1,093,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesandSallie View Post
Hi everyone! Thanks for all of the advice on my other thread (re: resale value). My husband flew out to Mass to view the home today and he liked it - so we made an offer! But I am nervous - I followed all advice here and had our realtor do a thorough CMA so we could arrive at our offering price based on what the home is really WORTH. Making sure we are not paying more than the home is truly worth is really important to us - we recently sold our home in Georgia and brought a SUBSTANTIAL check to closing as our home lost so much value in the 5 years we owned it, and we HAD to sell in the midst of the housing meltdown due. So we are a bit gun-shy as scraping together that kind of money just to be able to sell our home was heartbreaking, but we did what we had to do based on our situation at the time.

Sooooo - the home was listed at $349K. Three homes sold within 5 miles of our home in the past 6 months with similiar square footage. 2100 sq feet=$280K, 2000sq feet=$305K, 1900 sq feet = $320K. Interiors/lots similiar. The home we offered on is approx. 1800 sq feet (though the agent put it in the computer at 2600+ sq feet, he included the finished basement which shouldn't be included in the sq feet according to our realtor). The 3 homes used for comps also had full finished basements.

SOOOOOOO we offered $303k with $3,000 seller concessions..............

So I guess I am worried that the seller will think our offer was a lowball offer, but in our defense, we offered what the comps told us the home was worth. We were prepared to pay more, but after seeing the comps, we don't think the home would appraise anywhere near their asking price.

The home is currently occupied by renters who disclosed to my husband today while he was viewing the home that they were moving out of state mid-June.

The home just came on the market this past week.

Any advice/thoughts/words of encouragement???????????????????

Just curious. Why did your real estate agent say the finished basement shouldn't be included in sq. footage? Was it done w/o permits?

Old 05-02-2009, 07:16 PM

Fancy - I am not sure if it is the local custom or the MLS rules in the area, but from the beginning of our home search, she has told us that the sq footage listed does not include the finished basement unless otherwise disclosed - she mentioned today that something built underground/in foundation was not supposed to be included - but not sure why for sure.

Old 05-02-2009, 08:08 PM

982 posts, read 1,093,832 times
Interesting! You learn something new every day!! LOL!

I always thought that ANY added sq. footage, as long as it was permitted, was included in the sq. footage. We converted a 3rd car garage to an office, and did it by permits, and my sq. ftg. now, by assessor's records, reflects that added sq. footage.

Old 05-02-2009, 08:16 PM

161 posts, read 566,703 times
I think it is a state-by-state thing...saw one of those House Hunters eps the other night and the people went into the basement and the guy said, "wow, this is easily 1800 sq ft all by itself" and the agent said, "I know, but it doesn't count, so it makes for lower taxes for you since they only count the 1st and 2nd floor." She didn't say why it didn't count though.

Old 05-02-2009, 08:34 PM

43,045 posts, read 76,570,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucyhoneychurch View Post
I think it is a state-by-state thing...saw one of those House Hunters eps the other night and the people went into the basement and the guy said, "wow, this is easily 1800 sq ft all by itself" and the agent said, "I know, but it doesn't count, so it makes for lower taxes for you since they only count the 1st and 2nd floor." She didn't say why it didn't count though.
It does vary by region and MLS, it seems.

Here in NC we count finished below grade square footage in the living area, noting that it is below grade.
Basements or other below grade finished living area certainly count, but that square footage will appraise at a lower value per square foot than above grade living area.

When working with relocatees from northern states, the topic comes up, and they are often surprised that finished living area in the basement is added to the total square footage.

Old 05-02-2009, 08:34 PM

3,672 posts, read 10,569,035 times
In my area of Texas, it is customary to include any heated/air conditioned space in the square footage, but customs are customs to keep things equal for comparison sake.

Old 05-02-2009, 08:36 PM

43,045 posts, read 76,570,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrex62 View Post
In my area of Texas, it is customary to include any heated/air conditioned space in the square footage, but customs are customs to keep things equal for comparison sake.

Right!

And good luck to the OP with the transaction!

Old 05-02-2009, 09:10 PM

Location: Halfway between Number 4 Privet Drive and Forks, WA
1,516 posts, read 4,580,730 times
Fingers crossed for you...

What part of Georgia did you live in?

Old 05-02-2009, 09:15 PM

Potter Greek - thanks for the well wishes...we lived in Fayette County, Ga (25 mins south of the Atlanta airport).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate