Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 12:28 PM

15,575 posts, read 40,425,076 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
I am skeptical.

I am not sure the agent paridigm crosses state lines.

I am skeptical that I have any particular ethical duty with respect to agency to anyone in a state where we are not mutually licensed on the transaction involved.

I believe I am simply a knowledgable civilian if I offer an opinion on an out of state affair.

Past the grain of salt on NAR. They are a trade association. They actually have a very limited role in the behavior of agents. Mostly window dressing with little substance. The big deal in most Boards is dividing up the money in commission disputes.

Had a couple of agents rip off a map I use in a large subdivision. Unethical? Hell yes. A violation of the NAR Ethics Code? Where?

I can go after them for Copyright infrigment where I will likely collect something...but the local board? NAR? You gotta be kidding.

Most of these NAR rules are simply to stop local poaching. We read more meaning into them than that at our own risk.
Hmmm...interesting perspective.

In Oregon even if you are licensed in another state you still have to disclose that on an offer because you are assumed to have "superior knowledge." So to say that doesn't cross state lines, not sure about that. It's also why I put that I am a real estate agent under my name on this forum. Consumers will know that I am coming from that perspective.

I see where you are coming from in that agency relationships are different in each state so there are some differences in terms of what you can and can't do, but I think that supports MikeJ's concerns even more. There are huge differences between the coasts in terms of how we do business. Is it appropriate to comment on a post from NY or NJ when we are in CA and OR? I think that is Mike's concern. I agree with Mike that we do need to put qualifiers such as "in my state" or whatever so people understand their state may not work that way. I personally have learned a lot from the different agents on this forum about business in other states, which has helped me immensly with folks that relocate here. Because I have a grasp of how it is different, I know how to explain our systems better to clients.

The NAR is important because of the number of MLS's that require membership in it. It doesn't matter whether they like the NAR or not. They agreed to abide by the rules. If the MLS's didn't require membership in the NAR, then I would agree with you. Until then though, they do yeld a great deal of power in the world of real estate, in my opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2009, 12:34 PM

15,575 posts, read 40,425,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowian View Post
Anyone could look at those photos (including the seller, which explains why the seller came here for advice) and tell that their quality did not do the property justice. So the listing agents couldn't also see this? Or do they not care?
You know some people really aren't able to see that it doesn't look good. It's only when they see better shots taken do they understand why theirs aren't good.

Yesterday, my hubby put my daughter in butterfly tights, with a brown skirt, and a teal and purple shirt. He honestly had no idea how bad it looked together. Now if I put that outfit next to a better coordinated one, he can always pick the better coordinated one, but he can't see it when it is on it's own.

Some agents take incredible listing photos and could be pros on their own. Some agents are great stagers all on their own. Some agents write great descriptions and text. That's why as agents we need to know what we do well and do those things, and then bring in others for the things we don't do well. It's unfortunate that you asked for improved quality and didn't get it. That is why it is so important for consumers to look online at marketing materials first.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate