Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2009, 04:33 PM

830 posts, read 1,064,487 times

Advertisements

Honestly, I feel because there is such a high risk of unethical behavior in the transactions of selling property, I think Real Estate agents and Brokers should not be allowed to make ANY referrals, ever! If they get caught making a referral, they should lose their license permanently. I think this would really help to protect the consumer. Why is it that they are allowed to make referrals? Don't you think allowing them to persuade a client to a certain group of people is controlling the sale?

I know they are not allowed kick backs but you are never going to be able to control that so why not stop all referrals as a better way to protect the public? Do buyers and sellers disagree with that? And if so, why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2009, 04:59 PM

I can't help but to think the last P&S on my house would have had a better chance of going through if the broker hadn't been the one to make the referral for the home inspector, loan/mortgage company and lawyer. I guess you could say, "well the Buyer didn't have to take her recommendations, right?". But when you are a first time home buyer, it's almost impossible for them to veer away from their realtors recommendations.

It doesn't seem right to me to allow an agent to control the sale. Is this illegal? When I asked the Buyer's agent who the closing attorney would be, she named 2 lawyers and then said, but I haven't decided. Are you kidding me? Who is buying my house? The agent or the Buyer???

Sorry if you all think I am a troll. I am just a very unhappy seller that thinks this selling of property system stinks BIG TIME!

I get better consumer protection if I purchase a $3,000 dollar vehicle than a $300K house! Does this make sense? Seems like the RE association must have pretty strong lobbyists, huh?

Old 05-03-2009, 05:10 PM

470 posts, read 1,841,680 times
making a referral and persuading a client are not the same. the decision to use a certain lawyer, inspector, etc. is ultimately up to the client. if the client isn't comfortable with the situation, they should use a different agent all together. we were given a referral by our RE agent for a lender, i spoke to him and went with someone else. she referred me to an inspector and we're using him. we're about to make our first home purchase and i've asked my RE agent--in addition to friends who they used for their attorney; we'll take all referrals into consideration. we haven't been persuaded that we have to use a certain individual and in a heartbeat i would call that into question if my RE agent even went there. i'm sorry you've had such a bad experience(s) in your real estate dealings, but to use this forum to slam RE professionals on a consistent basis really shows poorly on you as an individual. you really need to give people more credit and look at working on removing that serious chip on your shoulder.

p.s. i'm not a RE agent, but the bitterness & troll-like tendencies you've displayed on here has gotten old REALLY fast.

Old 05-03-2009, 05:16 PM

1,026 posts, read 1,192,819 times
I trusted my agent 100%. Her referrals were excellent, and I was very happy to have them. Both our sale and our subsequent purchase were perfect thanks to her expertise and recommendations. I am very thankful for her suggestions. They were just as professional and wonderful as she was.

If you are trusting someone to help you with quite possible the biggest purchase of your life, you should have confidence that they are steering you in the right direction. If you are lacking that confidence, then you should find someone else to work with.

Old 05-03-2009, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thechappells View Post
making a referral and persuading a client are not the same. the decision to use a certain lawyer, inspector, etc. is ultimately up to the client. if the client isn't comfortable with the situation, they should use a different agent all together. we were given a referral by our RE agent for a lender, i spoke to him and went with someone else. she referred me to an inspector and we're using him. we're about to make our first home purchase and i've asked my RE agent--in addition to friends who they used for their attorney; we'll take all referrals into consideration. we haven't been persuaded that we have to use a certain individual and in a heartbeat i would call that into question if my RE agent even went there. i'm sorry you've had such a bad experience(s) in your real estate dealings, but to use this forum to slam RE professionals on a consistent basis really shows poorly on you as an individual. you really need to give people more credit and look at working on removing that serious chip on your shoulder.

p.s. i'm not a RE agent, but the bitterness you've displayed on here has gotten old REALLY fast.
You are soooo right! I guess losing that $304 sale to now $260 is really getting to me. I am going to shut off my computer and go have another good cry.

But I actually thought it would stimulate some thought and interesting discussion why consumers get so much more protection when buying a car than a house.

Old 05-03-2009, 05:20 PM

43,292 posts, read 77,115,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raindrop101 View Post
I trusted my agent 100%. Her referrals were excellent, and I was very happy to have them. Both our sale and our subsequent purchase were perfect thanks to her expertise and recommendations. I am very thankful for her suggestions. They were just as professional and wonderful as she was.

If you are trusting someone to help you with quite possible the biggest purchase of your life, you should have confidence that they are steering you in the right direction. If you are lacking that confidence, then you should find someone else to work with.
Obviously, client service and client satisfaction should be illegal, under the threat of execution, as happiness is the spawn of Satan.

Old 05-03-2009, 05:30 PM

1,026 posts, read 1,192,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozenAngel View Post
You are soooo right! I guess losing that $304 sale to now $260 is really getting to me. I am going to shut off my computer and go have another good cry.

But I actually thought it would stimulate some thought and interesting discussion why consumers get so much more protection when buying a car than a house.

How do consumers get more protection buying a car than house? What kind of protections do you have when you buy a car? You still have to do research, get price comps, have an inspection, etc. Unless you do your homework, you can easily end up with a bad loan, a bad car, and no way to get out of your contract.

Last edited by raindrop101; 05-03-2009 at 05:47 PM..

Old 05-03-2009, 05:56 PM

17,424 posts, read 14,642,907 times
I really wish you were having more luck with showings and people clamoring to see your house.

Then you'd have less time to come up with conspiracy theories, half baked posts with excessive smilies and ideas how on to best showcase that charming spice rack in your kitchen.

Old 05-03-2009, 06:09 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,261,360 times
Most of my customers and clients over the last 40+ years have little clue what they need to do and who should do it - be it lenders, inspectors, title/escrow etc.

The first thing I do (and all my agents do the same per my office policy) is to ASK our customer / client who THEY would like to use. Frequently over the last few years, many of our buyers have already spoken with a lender have express a preference for that lender.

As to the other professionals needed in a real estate transaction (and here we do not use attorneys in 99.999% of residential sales), I will give them a list of 3/4 inspectors, title+escrow (depends on the side), termite etc and let them know that I have had good experiences with these companies but, they are free to select whomever they wish and I'm more than happy to work with any of them.

Old 05-03-2009, 06:26 PM

1,149 posts, read 4,205,754 times
Considering we lived in the area we are buying in for a bit less than a year, what should I have done?

Checked online or the web?

Or asked my realtor, who has a fair number of investment properties, tried quite a few inspectors, and has lived in the area her whole life?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate