Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2009, 03:53 PM

15,570 posts, read 40,404,923 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsFancyPants View Post
Disregarding the flippant remark above, Neeshera, continue to take as much time as you want. She's the one who will lose out, not you. This type of attitude is exactly why more and more people are foregoing the "professionals" and doing it themselves.
I think you are misinterpreting Mike's comment. I think his comment was not a reference to her taking a long time to find a house, but her inability to deal with an agent she doesn't feel is doing a good job for her. Why is she letting this situation languish?

She is self-admitting she she doesn't like to offend people, but she has to take responsibility for her behavior. She is participating in a service relationship that she is not happy with. I am constantly stunned that consumers stick in service relationships with agents they don't feel are doing a good job for them. I'm not a big fan of complaining when you allow a situation to fester. She can continue to keep going this way, or just move on. She needs to make a decision about what to do, then do it (which may involve not being "nice").
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2009, 04:04 PM

43,264 posts, read 77,033,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
I think you are misinterpreting Mike's comment. I think his comment was not a reference to her taking a long time to find a house, but her inability to deal with an agent she doesn't feel is doing a good job for her. Why is she letting this situation languish?

She is self-admitting she she doesn't like to offend people, but she has to take responsibility for her behavior. She is participating in a service relationship that she is not happy with. I am constantly stunned that consumers stick in service relationships with agents they don't feel are doing a good job for them. I'm not a big fan of complaining when you allow a situation to fester. She can continue to keep going this way, or just move on. She needs to make a decision about what to do, then do it (which may involve not being "nice").
A-h-h-h.
Yes.

Old 05-07-2009, 04:07 PM

982 posts, read 1,099,403 times
I re-read my comment b/c I was not directing the part about "that attitude is exactly why..." towards Mike, but I can definitely see why you took it that way. I should've broken up my sentences better. Mike's remark was flip, I think we can agree on that, but I meant the attitude of her agent, not Mike's, is why people are more and more bypassing agents. They're not seeing the value when they perceive they're doing most of the work themselves. Hope that clears that up.

Old 05-07-2009, 04:22 PM

1,375 posts, read 6,301,691 times
Quote:
people are more and more bypassing agents. They're not seeing the value when they perceive they're doing most of the work themselves.
Is there data to back up the claim that more buyers are going unrepresented?

The internet and online tax office information makes it easier to view listings online and to see past sales history, but, beyond that, I don't think these sites can replace the expertise an agent can offer about a particular market.

You are continuing to label "identifying houses one may wish to view" as doing "most of the work" and I don't think that this is an accurate assessment of the true value of what a good agent can offer his/her client. Sure, the information available online may transfer some of the legwork in the search process, making it easier for internet-savvy consumers to locate listings they want to see and easier to know the sales history of a particular property. BUT, as has been repeated here several times, this is just the beginning of the process! That does not qualify as "doing most of the work" when you consider the process from the beginning to the closing of a transaction.

Old 05-07-2009, 05:04 PM

15,570 posts, read 40,404,923 times
Quote:
I re-read my comment b/c I was not directing the part about "that attitude is exactly why..." towards Mike, but I can definitely see why you took it that way. I should've broken up my sentences better. Mike's remark was flip, I think we can agree on that, but I meant the attitude of her agent, not Mike's, is why people are more and more bypassing agents. They're not seeing the value when they perceive they're doing most of the work themselves. Hope that clears that up.
Ah...yes your comment has a much different meaning now.

Old 05-07-2009, 05:07 PM

982 posts, read 1,099,403 times
Cym, I've done way too many real estate deals to fall for the sell. You and I both know it's not rocket science.

And yes, there is plenty of data out there, you can look it up. I suggest you start with the FSBO sites.

Now, I'm finished with this conversation. It just gets repetitive and all the agents jump in and go on ad nauseum about how wrong the rest of us are. Been there, done that. Don't care to go down that road again.

Nasheera, you can DM me if you have any questions about transacting yourself for yourself. It's not hard.

Old 05-07-2009, 05:20 PM

948 posts, read 2,790,525 times
It is not uncommon for agents to refer clients to other agents if the relationship is not working. If the OP is not willing to consider this then the conscience part of the original thread is a farce. If the agent has been working with you for 2 yrs. I am sure she would prefer something over nothing. If the OP truly has a conscience, all she has to do is ask, if the agent says no it is her choice to move on. I am sorry, but I can't believe the strong one-sided opinions I have read here when there is such a simple solution. Meet in the middle that's what we ask buyers and sellers to do everyday, agents unwilling to do the same have their heads in the wrong spot -- I think it may smell all nasty in there.

Old 05-07-2009, 06:14 PM

6,175 posts, read 12,932,741 times
Quote:
Nasheera, you can DM me if you have any questions about transacting yourself for yourself. It's not hard.
Are you completely up on the laws & customs where Nasheera is going to be purchasing? Can you give her all the advice & information she NEEDS, even if she doesn't ask becasue she doesn't know what to ask? Are you going to protect her in the event she takes your advice and ends up with a problem? Will that protection come in the form of E&O insurance, or are you going to write her a personal guarantee?

Be careful from whom you take advice. While it's great to get a few different viewpoints, remember that this is an anonymous (for the most part) discussion board and you don't know much about the people giving you advice. Some may be professionals who make thier living knowing the process, and others may be amateurs who THINK they know everything, and make a hobby out of offering well meaning but potentially wrong information to strangers.

Old 05-07-2009, 06:25 PM

6,196 posts, read 5,442,837 times
NOW that was good advice!!!

Old 05-07-2009, 06:50 PM

11,874 posts, read 11,042,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Keegan View Post
Are you completely up on the laws & customs where Nasheera is going to be purchasing? Can you give her all the advice & information she NEEDS, even if she doesn't ask becasue she doesn't know what to ask? Are you going to protect her in the event she takes your advice and ends up with a problem? Will that protection come in the form of E&O insurance, or are you going to write her a personal guarantee?

Be careful from whom you take advice. While it's great to get a few different viewpoints, remember that this is an anonymous (for the most part) discussion board and you don't know much about the people giving you advice. Some may be professionals who make thier living knowing the process, and others may be amateurs who THINK they know everything, and make a hobby out of offering well meaning but potentially wrong information to strangers.
Amen to that! I can see why your reputation rating is so high - i just added another number to it. Considering RE laws vary from state to state, and country to country for that matter, how in the world can someone advise someone on a RE transaction unless they're an expert and licensed in the state or country in question? God, I thought things like that only happened here!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate