Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2013, 05:50 AM

5,615 posts, read 14,797,306 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpeatie View Post
Bejeebus- this thread is like cockroaches and Cher....
I'd like to add Madonna to the list.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2014, 12:29 PM

1 posts, read 2,156 times
Our experience in Chattanooga was the same. Nice, quiet, older neighborhood until HFH came in. Now it's thumping music all hours, dogs barking non-stop, crime, and gangs. Several HFH homeowners arrested for dealing drugs out of their HFH homes. Did they lose the homes for criminal behavior? NO. The empty lots around us were at least quiet and free of crime!

Old 03-29-2014, 02:57 PM

5,046 posts, read 9,627,552 times
Well, for one thing, to those negative people who are not constructive, Marykate isn't the only one who doesn't know about the habitat homes...obviously it's her neighbors as well since she said they tried to stop it.

Old 03-30-2014, 07:50 PM

550 posts, read 1,488,177 times
I used to volunteer for HFH, but not anymore. One time, my coworkers and I volunteered on a site, and while were sweating our a**es off putting a roof on a house for some couple who had six kids (also, why have six kids if you can't afford them?), the new owners came by to put in their "sweat equity". All that consisted of was holding a broom while talking on their cell phones. I think the wife made three sweeps with the broom with the phone up to her ear. That is not an exaggeration. Once the site supervisor left, they didn't even pretend with the brooms anymore, they just talked on their cell phones until he got back. Up until then I had bought into all the crap HFH tells you about how awesome and hardworking and deserving their homeowners are, but no longer. The site supervisor had even given us a whole spiel that morning on how great this family was and how hard they were working to earn their home, etc. Afterwards, my coworkers and I went out for dinner and everyone was laughing about "sweat equity". It was a punchline in our breakroom for weeks.

Old 03-30-2014, 11:30 PM

6,574 posts, read 6,745,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starla View Post
I used to volunteer for HFH, but not anymore. One time, my coworkers and I volunteered on a site, and while were sweating our a**es off putting a roof on a house for some couple who had six kids (also, why have six kids if you can't afford them?), the new owners came by to put in their "sweat equity". All that consisted of was holding a broom while talking on their cell phones. I think the wife made three sweeps with the broom with the phone up to her ear. That is not an exaggeration. Once the site supervisor left, they didn't even pretend with the brooms anymore, they just talked on their cell phones until he got back. Up until then I had bought into all the crap HFH tells you about how awesome and hardworking and deserving their homeowners are, but no longer. The site supervisor had even given us a whole spiel that morning on how great this family was and how hard they were working to earn their home, etc. Afterwards, my coworkers and I went out for dinner and everyone was laughing about "sweat equity". It was a punchline in our breakroom for weeks.
Thanks for giving us "real world" experience with programs like HFH. So much nonsense out there. Watched a HFH house go up on a dead-end street in a rural NH town....it ruined the street. House full of drug dealers & scumbags.

Old 10-12-2014, 08:34 PM

1 posts, read 1,951 times
I have experienced the same with Habitat not doing anything about the neighbors. Their kids keep all kinds of company all day and all night.There are pit bulls running around cursing teenagers and not to mention the drugs that you smell when attempting to sit on your porch. No one has done anything about it and my small kids can't hardly go outside BC of what they will hear or see. We had to have mandatory security put in because I work and there is always such a crowd next door. Habitat was a blessing but I sm truly considering moving. It's sad.

Old 10-12-2014, 11:58 PM

4,463 posts, read 6,231,478 times
Its not an unreasonable question, I watch ghetto housing go up in areas and it completely trashes real estate values and then you have to consealed carry to take your dog for a walk after dark. The whole being appalled only works on the news not when its your own money and family at stake.

Welfare homes going up where I am proud to live and worked hard to get too would be unacceptable to me as well.

Old 10-13-2014, 12:00 AM

4,463 posts, read 6,231,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starla View Post
We had guys in college try to convince me to help do this and I laughed at them. I was living with a roommate trying to finish school and these "families" were obviously getting laid enough to have tons of kids. If I lift a finger its going to be to better myself not them.

Old 10-13-2014, 12:25 AM

235 posts, read 299,164 times
I'd fight it tooth and nail if I were the OP.

My fiance's parents used to live in a great middle class neighborhood here in Las Vegas. It featured a nice, racially diverse group of people who were very family oriented, took pride in their yards and homes, looked out for one another etc. When the economy went to sh*t and the housing market tanked, several of the neighbors who were renting were forced to move out of state. When the original owners were unable to sell the homes, the properties were converted into Section 8.

Almost immediately the community went downhill. The homes ended up being occupied by "women with six kids by five baby daddies" types who had various men in and out of their houses at all hours of the day. There were teenagers hanging out in the streets at 2 am, loud music, break-ins, vandalism, you name it. Every decent family got the hell out of Dodge, my in-laws included.

All it takes is for that one bad family to move in and the whole place is doomed.

Last edited by BeantownGirl19; 10-13-2014 at 12:34 AM..

Old 10-13-2014, 10:06 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,827,472 times
If it's a single home, I would have zero problem with it. I would offer to help AND welcome the new family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate