Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2009, 09:09 PM

394 posts, read 1,049,217 times

Advertisements

Give me your opinions - especially buyers. If a house is too neat and clean and perfectly staged when you enter, does it scream desperation?

My mother-in-law, who l adore and last sold a house in 1980, claims that the buyers of her previous properties fell in love with the homes b/c they felt "lived-in". I believe she says she knew the buyers of both her previous homes and that was the feedback she received. Like I wrote - in was in 1980 so... times may have changed.

But, I got thinking - the last two homes we sold had contracts on them right after I got tired or discouraged with the whole showing process and allowed my house to look more lived in. I AM VERY CLEAN - so I'm not talking about dirt or clutter but I maybe allowed more personal items back on display.

For example, I was days away from delivering my first child and was totally not worrying about getting an offer when I neatly filled two closets with diapers, clothes, blankets, (all that sweet new baby stuff) and that is when I got an offer! It was from a woman that had seen my home and originally said no but came back over a month later b/c her agent thought our home best suited her needs. From what we heard, she wasn't thrilled about taking a second look but after she did she made a great offer. She told me at closing that opening the closets and seeing all the new baby stuff caused her to make an offer b/c she thought the house was filled with love (or something to that effect).

How much personal stuff equals "love" and how much equals "too much information"? Your thoughts, please.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2009, 09:39 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,285,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by In the Pines View Post
Give me your opinions - especially buyers. If a house is too neat and clean and perfectly staged when you enter, does it scream desperation?
No!

Quote:
My mother-in-law, who l adore and last sold a house in 1980, claims that the buyers of her previous properties fell in love with the homes b/c they felt "lived-in". I believe she says she knew the buyers of both her previous homes and that was the feedback she received. Like I wrote - in was in 1980 so... times may have changed.
To me cluttered and dirty is just that...cluttered and dirty.

Quote:
But, I got thinking - the last two homes we sold had contracts on them right after I got tired or discouraged with the whole showing process and allowed my house to look more lived in. I AM VERY CLEAN - so I'm not talking about dirt or clutter but I maybe allowed more personal items back on display.

For example, I was days away from delivering my first child and was totally not worrying about getting an offer when I neatly filled two closets with diapers, clothes, blankets, (all that sweet new baby stuff) and that is when I got an offer! It was from a woman that had seen my home and originally said no but came back over a month later b/c her agent thought our home best suited her needs. From what we heard, she wasn't thrilled about taking a second look but after she did she made a great offer. She told me at closing that opening the closets and seeing all the new baby stuff caused her to make an offer b/c she thought the house was filled with love (or something to that effect).

How much personal stuff equals "love" and how much equals "too much information"? Your thoughts, please.
To me a house is a house, I do not care about the lifestyles of the people selling them and I do not care to see their personal items, though if a house is not vacant I realize their personal items will be there. Many of the houses I have viewed were stuffed with what I would call "crap" and the sellers would call "precious mementos".

Old 05-30-2009, 09:46 PM

3,199 posts, read 13,397,703 times
Well I believe there is a compromise between "sterile" and "cluttered"! It should not look completely bare and devoid of any personality. If you're still living there, chances are enough evidence is apparant that the home is "lived in".

There was a guy on here awhile back who sent some photos of his house. While he did still live in it, it was very bare looking and needed a punch of color here and there. But that had more to do w/ hi color scheme and (total lack of) accessories.

Old 05-30-2009, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaKat View Post
Well I believe there is a compromise between "sterile" and "cluttered"! It should not look completely bare and devoid of any personality. If you're still living there, chances are enough evidence is apparant that the home is "lived in".

There was a guy on here awhile back who sent some photos of his house. While he did still live in it, it was very bare looking and needed a punch of color here and there. But that had more to do w/ hi color scheme and (total lack of) accessories.
The house I am buying is vacant and almost every room is painted white. No personal effects of any kind. I bought it anyway, even though the lady who lived there for over 40 years is now dead (so it is no longer "lived in"). At least she didn't die in the house itself.

I am not trying to buy a seller's lifestyle, I am trying to buy their house. I do not care what brand of olive oil they use, how green their cleaning products are, or that they have a baby on the way. Do not care. I would also rather have bare white walls than someone else's wacky idea of "taste". White is easier to paint over. I also do not want to see crosses all over the wall (I am Jewish) in every room and bible quotes stuck all over the walls. And please when you are showing your house, put your guns away...thank you!

Old 05-30-2009, 09:57 PM

3,199 posts, read 13,397,703 times
Not exactly sure why you are directing such a strong reply to my post, because i certainly did not suggest anything along the lines of keeping religious stuff or firearms in view. I simply said that if you live in the home, it probably looks that way. It can be too bare and sterile for many tastes although obviously, not yours. Relax, I'm not trying to decorate your home just reassuring a nervous seller that her home is probably fine from what I could tell from her post.

Old 05-30-2009, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaKat View Post
Not exactly sure why you are directing such a strong reply to my post, because i certainly did not suggest anything along the lines of keeping religious stuff or firearms in view. I simply said that if you live in the home, it probably looks that way. It can be too bare and sterile for many tastes although obviously, not yours. Relax, I'm not trying to decorate your home just reassuring a nervous seller that her home is probably fine from what I could tell from her post.
I was not addressing you specifically, I was mentioning things I personally have seen while house-hunting.

Old 05-30-2009, 11:11 PM

8,545 posts, read 10,273,875 times
The last home we sold was in Southern Utah...I think if I had bible verses on the walls it might have sold faster...I even thought about getting some religious art..and I did put away our beer neons and fine art..and the coffe maker and liquor..didnt want to offend any buyers..still took 10 months to sell, should have just left some of it to enjoy..

Old 05-30-2009, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogmom View Post
The last home we sold was in Southern Utah...I think if I had bible verses on the walls it might have sold faster...I even thought about getting some religious art..and I did put away our beer neons and fine art..and the coffe maker and liquor..didnt want to offend any buyers..still took 10 months to sell, should have just left some of it to enjoy..
It is impossible to stage a house in a way that all buyers will find pleasing but I think a majority of buyers expect a house to be clean and free of clutter at a bare minimum. I liked the ones where the sellers had put a lot of their possessions into storage (or in boxes in the garage) so I could clearly see the closets, cabinets, pantries, etc.

If I was selling a house I would not have religious artifacts all over the place because you never know if it would turn off a buyer or not.

Old 05-30-2009, 11:55 PM

3,459 posts, read 5,794,241 times
I've always thought that a lived in look was ok because it gives me a good idea of what it will look like after I move in.

The things that catch my eye are the little details like lawn edging, nice clean lines on the paint, and all the other little clues that tell you whether they took pride in the home or just slapped on a fresh coat of paint to clean it up before the sale.

Old 05-31-2009, 12:27 AM

8,545 posts, read 10,273,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
It is impossible to stage a house in a way that all buyers will find pleasing but I think a majority of buyers expect a house to be clean and free of clutter at a bare minimum. I liked the ones where the sellers had put a lot of their possessions into storage (or in boxes in the garage) so I could clearly see the closets, cabinets, pantries, etc.

If I was selling a house I would not have religious artifacts all over the place because you never know if it would turn off a buyer or not.
In Utah, it attracts buyers...believe me..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate