Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2009, 08:41 AM

3,488 posts, read 8,221,387 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMichelle View Post
The question is where?
EFIS is fine here in Colorado - the climate is dry, semi-arid. No problem.
In other parts of the country the EFIS or even real stucco would not be a good thing. I wouldn't any form of stucco in a more humid climate, Kansas, MO, some parts of Texas, etc.
Good point MMichelle - we're in Philadelphia, PA. Not a good spot for a product with moisture problems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2009, 09:35 AM

We got a response already. I don't know anything much about real stucco. Can anyone please comment - this is just not an area I have any expertise in.

"After speaking with the architects, I believe that the Sellers Disclosure
may be in error. The external walls are made of stucco that was hand
applied. I have provided the builder's contact information to you and would ask that they provide definitive confirmation of the materials used.

In the interim, I will look at the architects drawings for additional
confirmation.

Assuming that I am correct that the material is stucco, my apologies to you and those interested in the property for this unintended error."

Any thoughts on this? Obviously I would have it double and triple checked by an inspector to make sure it isn't EIFS if the builder confirms that it isn't.
I'm less worried now... am I right to be??

Old 05-18-2009, 09:41 AM

More news:

Plans reflect "new 3 coat cement plaster" on ext walls.
Stucco was the exterior material used to the rear portions of the residence.

Old 05-18-2009, 09:48 AM

1,155 posts, read 3,389,314 times
no, the resale will always cause the same issues, you are facing, and even with the best inspector, always a potential problem, as most homeowners, do a bad job of taking care of homes.

Old 05-18-2009, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanbob View Post
no, the resale will always cause the same issues, you are facing, and even with the best inspector, always a potential problem, as most homeowners, do a bad job of taking care of homes.
oldmanbob; are you responding to the original question, or the updated news?

Old 05-18-2009, 10:24 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
Default Three coat plaster type stucco is VERY different than EIFS!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobokenkitchen View Post
More news:

Plans reflect "new 3 coat cement plaster" on ext walls.
Stucco was the exterior material used to the rear portions of the residence.
It does NOT take an expert to rap a knuckle on stucco on say "DAMN this is the GOOD STUFF that lasts generations becuase it is LIKE ROCK" vs tapping on even QUALITY, properly installed EIFS and saying "man I hope this hollow sounding stuff was done right".

Any potential issues down the road would only come from people that are pretty clueless!

If you don't know the difference it takes about 10 seconds of observation:

Exterior Insulated Finish System is BASED on foam over the EXTERIOR and foam sounds HOLLOW, stucco is CEMENT BASED PLASTER that sounds like ROCK.

Easy peasy!

Any agent that screwed this up should have their head handed to 'em on a platter as the odds are great that OTHERS saw that in the listed and CROSSED IT OFF THEIR LIST!

Old 05-18-2009, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
It does NOT take an expert to rap a knuckle on stucco on say "DAMN this is the GOOD STUFF that lasts generations becuase it is LIKE ROCK" vs tapping on even QUALITY, properly installed EIFS and saying "man I hope this hollow sounding stuff was done right".

Any potential issues down the road would only come from people that are pretty clueless!

If you don't know the difference it takes about 10 seconds of observation:

Exterior Insulated Finish System is BASED on foam over the EXTERIOR and foam sounds HOLLOW, stucco is CEMENT BASED PLASTER that sounds like ROCK.

Easy peasy!

Any agent that screwed this up should have their head handed to 'em on a platter as the odds are great that OTHERS saw that in the listed and CROSSED IT OFF THEIR LIST!
It has nothing to do with the agent - the seller had it listed as EIFS in the seller's disclosure.
It's also so unusual for a house in the city to have this stuff, that even I have no experience with it, and I've been selling real estate personally for years, and have owned 7 homes..... not one of which has either stucco or EIFS on it.

I'll give it a good knock next time we're at the house to make sure.

Sounds like you approve of the real stucco which is good!

Old 05-18-2009, 05:10 PM

1,989 posts, read 4,466,032 times
Regarding the "knock" on EIFS-- the sound is so different that it attracts woodpeckers. They tap it, hear the hollow sound and decide it might be good hunting ground. Commence hole making. Commence moisture intrusion. We looked at a house in the woods last year that had EIFS-- a few telltale holes up out of patching reach told the whole story.

Old 05-18-2009, 05:15 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
Default I have a song in my head thanks to cohdane...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cohdane View Post
Regarding the "knock" on EIFS-- the sound is so different that it attracts woodpeckers. They tap it, hear the hollow sound and decide it might be good hunting ground. Commence hole making. Commence moisture intrusion. We looked at a house in the woods last year that had EIFS-- a few telltale holes up out of patching reach told the whole story.
The Woody Woodpecker Show.mp3, Free Download and Plays

Now look what you've done...

Old 05-19-2009, 01:54 PM

Update: I went back to the house today, and gave the 'stucco' a good knock. It is totally solid.
What a mistake to make on your seller's disclosure!!

We have verbal offer & acceptance - waiting signed contracts, and then we're done! No attorney review here. It's kind of scary actually!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate