Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2009, 04:03 PM

152 posts, read 639,040 times

Advertisements

Between these online pricing sites my house varies by over 120k. They are sort of a fun tool, but not very reliable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2009, 07:37 PM

406 posts, read 1,496,833 times
Yeah, either one of them has my home at a pittance. I don't really think either one are particularly accurate.

Old 05-24-2009, 09:18 PM

4,538 posts, read 10,629,904 times
The online sites are not accurate right now. The market is moving too fast. Up until around Jan-Feb everything was dropping in price in most markets. Now prices are rising a bit due to temporarily decreased supply. You have to use comps to get a reasonable range....and current ones at that....within the last couple months.

Old 05-24-2009, 10:16 PM

6,333 posts, read 18,056,449 times
The best "site" to find the value of your home is your kitchen table sitting across from a Realtor who sells a lot of homes in your part of town.

Steve

Old 05-25-2009, 09:05 AM

1,631 posts, read 3,951,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armyjimb View Post
Zillow has my home listed $40,000 above cyberhomes. When I went to BofA to refiance my home, they used cyberhomes.
I think you muct have missunderstood if someone told you that BOFA used a cyberhome site to come up with a value for your home. The banks only use certified appraisors. Those sites that state home values are not reliable, appraisors are the only ones that can put a legitment value on a home. Those other places are just guestimates.

Good Luck

Old 05-26-2009, 11:15 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,030,698 times
WOW!!! checked my house on both and was quite pleasantly surprised from what i actually expected.......

they were about 4K apart in their assessment.... and cyberhome's was from 02/07 .... but still ........

hhhhmmmmm ... maybe that move back to south texas is NOT so far in my future.......

Old 05-26-2009, 11:20 AM

5 posts, read 4,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveinPA View Post
Between these online pricing sites my house varies by over 120k. They are sort of a fun tool, but not very reliable.
Absolutely NOT reliable! For one thing, Cyberhomes.com has my house listed as 7 rooms (there are 10 - not including the basement which in itself is 3000 square feet). It has my home listed as 4 bedrooms and 2 baths. There are 5 FULL bedrooms and 4.5 baths.
Also, just because a home is in the same neighborhood, (which can range in prices) it does not take into consideration whether your stainless steel appliances are top of the line or not. Also whether you have granite, new baths, etc.
I agree that you need to have a realtor come by with a list of homes similar to your - within a close distance, that have SOLD in the past year.

Old 05-26-2009, 12:10 PM

6,333 posts, read 18,056,449 times
I just received a email newsletter from Zillow sayinng:

Quote:
Home values in Austin increased 8.7%
According to the latest Zillow Real Estate Market Reports, home values in Austin increased 8.7% in the first quarter of 2009, compared to the first quarter of 2008. Nationally, home values decreased 14.2% during this same period.
This is so incorrect that it confirms to me that Zillow prices are a joke. The Zillow CEO should be embarrassed and they probably should hire someone to proof read and reality check their market claims before mailing them out. Zillow values have Zero credibility. Cyberhomes and the others are no better.

Remember though that Texas is a non-disclosure state. In the states where all sales data is reported to the County Assessor, they are probably more accurate.

Steve
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate