Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2009, 09:44 AM

63 posts, read 366,917 times

Advertisements

I've Googled and searched, and apart from names of builders that have been sued, I come up with no information on the builders that used the toxic drywall to build homes. If I am looking to buy a home, how will I know what builders to avoid? I suppose they are waiting for us to buy the home, get sick, have to move, forclose on the home and tell us that they cannot help, or that they "had no idea" it was used in the home building, and are therefore, not liable? Please, anyone, if you know of a list somewhere, let me know, or let's write to our reps in congress and demand disclosure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2010, 05:34 PM

1 posts, read 11,799 times
its now 2010 and i am still looking for that list my dear. we are in the same boat. if you found out please update your posting i guess we need to walk around with lubricant because we are screwed everywhere we turn.

Old 01-31-2010, 09:14 PM

4,705 posts, read 25,289,485 times
While not foolproof, it is fairly easy to go into the attic over the garage and look at the backside of the drywall. If its chinese drywall, its on the label. If there isn't an attic over the garage, then you can get up in some part of an attic and push the insulation aside to look at the back of the drywall.

Not likely there is such a list of who bought what and where it ended up.

Old 02-01-2010, 12:37 AM

2,957 posts, read 12,720,858 times
I spent some time reading about all the nasty effects of the imported Chinese drywall.

Then I started thinking about the Chinese. China must be full of the stuff, the whole country is under construction. Surely it's not in the best interest of the economy or the Chinese government to be papering their country in toxic drywall?

I wonder if they just shipped the really bad stuff over here? If the toxic drywall was an export only product?

Old 02-26-2010, 09:25 PM

1 posts, read 11,494 times
well I can tell you that GL Homes is one of the builders impacted by this epidemic, they are gutting the houses in mu neighborhood because they have found the chinese drywall. We are having them come check our house soon, hopefully we dont have it in our home.

Old 05-31-2010, 05:24 PM

3,599 posts, read 6,781,054 times
Try suing the builders. Good luck with that.

The builders are form little LLCs within LLC's for asset protection. Plus they have the ultimate blame game: The Chinese Contractors who made the drywall.

Why do you think this story has been going on for the past couple of years and there's no class action lawsuit by the lawyers.

Even they know there's no chance in hell you can sue for Chinese. And there's extremely little chance you can sue the builder. They just used the equipment. They assembled it correctly.

So are you going to sue the dealer of your Toyota sold you the Camry with bad breaks? No you go after the manufacter.

Old 01-13-2014, 09:50 AM

1 posts, read 7,395 times
It makes no sense that the government will not Force ANY builder who used this poison in any home, any where in the United States , not to notify owners of this ! I know that Alabama is a NO FAULT, BUYER BEWARE state , but if you ask an owner a question , pertaining to the property , and they know for a fact there are problems , that's another morale and legal factor . The best thing someone can do is get a certified legal inspector , before buying your home . If you notice there are three or more houses , being gutted in your neighborhood , that are @ 12 years old or less , I would consider getting your house inspected .

Old 01-13-2014, 10:08 AM

4,567 posts, read 10,650,140 times
If I go to the local hardware store and buy 10 pieces of drywall, how would anyone know who I am? Or add me to a list? It's not possible.

I may not even know if I bought china drywall or not if I didn't look at the label. I do not look at the country of origin or detailed stock numbers, etc of wood, drywall, screws, etc. or any supplies I buy. I just go to the store, buy it, install it.

Do you examine and record all the fruit/food you buy and eat for further reference if it gets recalled?

Old 01-13-2014, 10:31 AM

132 posts, read 545,009 times
Then I started thinking about the Chinese. China must be full of the stuff, the whole country is under construction. Surely it's not in the best interest of the economy or the Chinese government to be papering their country in toxic drywall?

Every country starts out like this. When countries like the UK and US started really developing, there were terrible abuses as well that caused illness and death among its own citizens. Terrible working conditions, no safety regulations, no guidelines about what you could and couldn't put in a product, you name it. The companies took advantage until each society changed enough to push for the changes that brought about agencies like the FDA and EPA, and now we just take them for granted.

China is huge, it's coming into its own revolution now, rather than then, and the same pattern repeats until the outcry becomes loud enough or the loss of profit large enough, to force change. You can see that they are actually selling these bad products in their own country from the scandal with the contaminated baby formula.

*edited to change poisoned to contaminated. They cut corners there just like with drywall, the effect was just more immediate because you can't screw around with baby formula like that.

Old 01-13-2014, 01:19 PM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
OP, there is no list. No builder ordered a boat load of drywall from China.

The builder just went to whatever lumber yard he used and bought whatever drywall the lumber yard had. The lumber yard didn't order a boatload of drywall from China, he just bought a couple hundred sheets from his supplier.

The supplier probably didn't order a whole boatload of drywall from China. He probably bought semi trucks of drywall from all different manufacturers.

So the Chinese drywall got all mixed in with everything else. Before the problem, nobody looked to see where their drywall came from, so most builders who used it didn't even know it was Chinese drywall.

A couple dozen houses in one subdivision all build at the same time, might have drywall from 5-6 different manufacturers.

You are going to have to look at th drywall in any house you are considering. There is no shortcut for that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate