Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2009, 02:57 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,273,258 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsFancyPants View Post
Seriously, people, if you hire someone to do a job and they don't do it to your satisfaction FIRE THEM.
I think what people are suggesting is that the OP might want to make sure it isn't simply a communication problem. I assume you have a job and a boss. Wouldn't you want your boss to speak with you first to discuss your job performance before firing you on the spot for not doing something to their satisfaction?

People skills go a long way in this world!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2009, 03:02 PM

3 posts, read 4,849 times
In Florida the agreement would be with broker - you as the consumer have the right to work with anyone you want to. You don't like this agent for what ever reason - just tell the broker you want out of the buyer broker agreement and more than likely they will let you out of it without a problem (they are really hard to enforce anyway)

Old 05-28-2009, 03:12 PM

982 posts, read 1,099,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
I think what people are suggesting is that the OP might want to make sure it isn't simply a communication problem. I assume you have a job and a boss. Wouldn't you want your boss to speak with you first to discuss your job performance before firing you on the spot for not doing something to their satisfaction?

People skills go a long way in this world!

No, I do not have a boss. I am an entrepreneur. I work for myself. And if I don't like the way someone I hire does their job, I fire them. I don't waste time trying to figure it out. Time is money. I'm not in the business of training subcontractors. And neither should the OP.

Old 05-28-2009, 03:23 PM

93 posts, read 438,700 times
Quote:
No, I do not have a boss. I am an entrepreneur. I work for myself. And if I don't like the way someone I hire does their job, I fire them. I don't waste time trying to figure it out. Time is money. I'm not in the business of training subcontractors. And neither should the OP.
I would argue that it's a waste of time & money to hire someone new, as opposed to telling your current employee "Hey, you're doing it wrong! Do XYZ instead!". Then you don't have to waste YOUR time/talent/money/resources interviewing and hiring someone new who may very well fail the same way their predessesor did - because of lack of communication.

Old 05-28-2009, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by csphillips18 View Post
I would argue that it's a waste of time & money to hire someone new, as opposed to telling your current employee "Hey, you're doing it wrong! Do XYZ instead!". Then you don't have to waste YOUR time/talent/money/resources interviewing and hiring someone new who may very well fail the same way their predessesor did - because of lack of communication.
Well said.

Old 05-28-2009, 03:33 PM

In my business (and in the case of the OP), it doesn't cost me anything in terms of time or money to replace someone I've hired. In some cases your analogies may be true. In mine, and the OP's, it's not.

Old 05-28-2009, 03:46 PM

Quote:
In my business (and in the case of the OP), it doesn't cost me anything in terms of time or money to replace someone I've hired. In some cases your analogies may be true. In mine, and the OP's, it's not.
What do you know about the case of the OP? She has stated nothing about how much time she took to select this realtor. Many people spend a decent amount of time interviewing realtors and providing information to help them better understand what they are looking for. Your assumption that changing realtors does not cost the OP any time is not supported. By your own words, "time is money".

I think in most cases it is worthwhile to try and resolve differences than waste resources by firing someone rashly and then being needlessly forced to spend time hiring and training someone new. If after a brief conversation you can't resolve your differences you go your separate ways. It really isn't that complicated and can avoid a lot of unnecessary trouble. Your case sounds unique and more the exception rather than the rule.

Old 05-28-2009, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissesFixIt View Post
I signed a contract for her to be a buyer agent. I am not pre approved but my fiance is and he didn't sign anything. He is the one with pre approval and he hasn't went with to see a house only I have. Can I stop using her? She isn't showing me the houses I want to look at, room sizes, price range. It seems she is more worried about her commision or what she wants then my needs.
North Carolina:

This post clearly states that the OP is dissatisfied with the job her agent is doing. It isn't going to cost her a THING to get another agent. The "time is money" analogy doesn't really hold a lot of water here because it's going to take time to sit down and have that conversation, then go out on a few more house hunts, and clearly the OP doesn't like this agent. She wants to fire her. She just wants to know if she can. She can. And she doesn't have to justify it. She doesn't have to remedy whatever isn't working. She doesn't have to do a DAMM thing. What are you not understanding? Surely she CAN do all of those things but she doesn't need to, nor would I if I were her. Real estate agents are a dime a dozen. Why put yourself through that? Find another one. And then another one. Use a dozen if that's what it takes to find the one you want. It's not like they're in short supply. Everybody and their brother has a license nowadays.

Oh, and chances are she didn't spend a whole lot of time or she'd probably know this wasn't the right agent.

Old 05-28-2009, 04:50 PM

Quote:
North Carolina:

This post clearly states that the OP is dissatisfied with the job her agent is doing. It isn't going to cost her a THING to get another agent. The "time is money" analogy doesn't really hold a lot of water here because it's going to take time to sit down and have that conversation, then go out on a few more house hunts, and clearly the OP doesn't like this agent. She wants to fire her. She just wants to know if she can. She can. And she doesn't have to justify it. She doesn't have to remedy whatever isn't working. She doesn't have to do a DAMM thing. What are you not understanding? Surely she CAN do all of those things but she doesn't need to, nor would I if I were her. Real estate agents are a dime a dozen. Why put yourself through that? Find another one. And then another one. Use a dozen if that's what it takes to find the one you want. It's not like they're in short supply. Everybody and their brother has a license nowadays.

Oh, and chances are she didn't spend a whole lot of time or she'd probably know this wasn't the right agent.
I don't think anybody is disputing whether or not she has the right to fire her realtor. Of course she can. I think the point of my posts and several other posters is that it may actually be in the OP's interest to figure out what the problem is as it could very well be as simple as miscommunication. A simple conversation with the realtor could clear the problem up and save the OP a lot of time. If the issue can not be resolved to the OP's satisfaction, it will be time to move on. However, to suggest she fire the realtor without even attempting to address the problem seems premature and not necessarily in the OP's best interest. The important thing to realize here is that it would benefit the OP to understand where things went wrong with this working relationship so it can be avoided in the future.

I hope you understand now.

Old 05-28-2009, 04:57 PM

ROFL. Really.

Actually, it would be in the interest of the agent for the OP to sit down and tell this agent what she did wrong. Not the OP.

Had the OP asked what she could do to mend the relationship, had the OP asked what remedies she had in the event she wanted to keep this real estate agent working for her, or had the OP asked opinions on what she should do and how she should approach this problem, I might agree with some of your responses.

SHE ASKED IF SHE COULD FIRE THE REAL ESTATE AGENT. I have been answering her question and disputing what the industry gurus here have been trying to do in terms of having her keep an agent she clearly doesn't want and convince her that perhaps it's her fault when clearly it isn't.

Now, I hope you understand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate