Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2009, 08:32 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,733,597 times

Advertisements

I really don't like white appliances.

But for me this would have almost no impact on a home purchase.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2009, 08:49 AM

136 posts, read 578,865 times
We just put an offer in on a house. It is a foreclosure and the fridge and stove are missing but there is a stainless steel dishwasher.

I am one of those people who does not particularly care for the same tired old look of stainless steel and granite but the house we put an offer on has just that look. The kitchen wouldn't be my first choice but the house was priced really well. So at the end of the day, if the house is priced well I could over look the appliances.

Old 06-04-2009, 08:58 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
Megrock tells of experiences that I have seen MANY times. The problem is not so much that people admit to not wanting to make an offer that has mismatched or 'no longer stylish' appliances but there is SOMETHING going on psychologically that makes those situations turn off buyers.

A long time ago I had a listing for place that was real palace. Custom built in the 60s for a family who lived there for many decades it is was nearly perfect condition. The owner retired as an executive from a large company and had several collector cars which he also maintained meticulously. The home was staged beautifully. Potential buyers loved the size, flow, condition. It had top of line of appliances from an earlier era that worked beautifully. No offers. Owners LOVED their appliances, knew they worked perfectly and were extremely reluctant to "throw away" stuff that worked just to make it less personalized/ dated...

Litererally within weeks of getting the new appliance the place was under contract.

Now don't get me wrong, this was an expensive home and ANY of the potential buyers could have gone right down to the appliance store and spent the money to get their own appliances but there was switch inside their heads that said "I just can't see myself in this house with appliances like this"...

Nice clean new appliance turn that switch to OFF!

Sucks, but that is what I have seen many times, especially when the competition is a NEW house or houses that have all the bells and whistles.

Old 06-04-2009, 09:25 AM

3,320 posts, read 5,595,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nanjosbrand View Post
Hey,
I just wanted to post a little survey here to find out some of your opinions. I have a house that I am going to be selling soon. It has white appliances (Kenmore brand countertop stove, wall oven, and dishwasher and a Whirlpool side by side fridge with ice maker and water). My question is: would you not buy this house because it has white appliances rather than stainless steel appliances? The hardware and light fixtures are oil rubbed bronze and the countertops are granite.
It would really depend on being able to see your particular house in its totality. We just bought a new house and put in ss appliances which I love. Our old house had white appliances that sufficed.

Old 06-04-2009, 09:42 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times
I'd think it would depend on the house, the kitchen, and everything else in the kitchen. There are kitchens that stainless and granite would look ridiculous in, but for some newer homes, they're designed with stainless and granite in mind (and will look dated in future as a result) and so the "feel" will be wrong.

If your white appliances "work" in your kitchen (as opposed to functioning properlyl), it shouldn't be an issue.

Old 06-04-2009, 12:25 PM

632 posts, read 1,844,681 times
We built our home 11 yrs ago--white kitchen cabinets with white appliances. Our budget got eaten up and then some, so we had to "downgrade" to formica. I worried about it all during our prep for selling this spring since most the new homes in the subdivision have granite and/or stainless. I shouldn't have. We sold in 1 week for list price. The kitchen looks new and pristine....besides, the rest of the house and yard (and view) sold it. But, Mrs. Homebuyer says she loves the kitchen (she's coming from an older house that probably has dark cabinetry, so that might make a difference).

We'll be looking at new homes in our new location. I do love the look of stainless, BUT, I've heard all the stories about how hard it is to keep clean, and that's a real turnoff. However, in our price range, just about everything built in the last year or two has stainless and granite. Granite I don't really want either. We may build and then I'll have a battle with hubby who does like that look--but then he only EATS near the kitchen

Old 06-04-2009, 09:49 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,285,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
Megrock tells of experiences that I have seen MANY times. The problem is not so much that people admit to not wanting to make an offer that has mismatched or 'no longer stylish' appliances but there is SOMETHING going on psychologically that makes those situations turn off buyers.

A long time ago I had a listing for place that was real palace. Custom built in the 60s for a family who lived there for many decades it is was nearly perfect condition. The owner retired as an executive from a large company and had several collector cars which he also maintained meticulously. The home was staged beautifully. Potential buyers loved the size, flow, condition. It had top of line of appliances from an earlier era that worked beautifully. No offers. Owners LOVED their appliances, knew they worked perfectly and were extremely reluctant to "throw away" stuff that worked just to make it less personalized/ dated...

Litererally within weeks of getting the new appliance the place was under contract.

Now don't get me wrong, this was an expensive home and ANY of the potential buyers could have gone right down to the appliance store and spent the money to get their own appliances but there was switch inside their heads that said "I just can't see myself in this house with appliances like this"...

Nice clean new appliance turn that switch to OFF!

Sucks, but that is what I have seen many times, especially when the competition is a NEW house or houses that have all the bells and whistles.
Some buyers can look past that. The house I bought has no refrigerator, a black dishwasher that is about 20 years old, a new black electric cooktop that I hate, a black microwave, and an almond-colored oven that is probably 30 years old. I will probably buy a black or white refrigerator; the dishwasher will be switched out eventually to a low-energy low-water use model, the electric cooktop will go away when I redo the kitchen and change to gas, but the black microwave will probably stay.

I chose this house over houses with brand-new appliances that would have stayed. This one had a better floorplan, better size, and better flow than those did. Plus, this one had a new air conditioner, a new furnace, a relatively new roof, etc. and those to me more than make up for older appliances in the kitchen.

Old 06-05-2009, 07:06 AM

41,957 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Of course not. As long as the appliances work, I don't care what color they are. It would be nice, though, if they were spotless.

The size and layout of the kitchen are more important.

Old 06-05-2009, 07:54 AM

96 posts, read 337,474 times
I know this may sound silly but as a first time homebuyer looking now, I shy away from the white appliances. I am young so it may come with my generation but i don't like them at all. Stainless and granite all the way. I know that appliances can be pricy especially if it's your first home you want to try to get a house you don't have to change much. Just my opinion.

Old 06-05-2009, 08:32 AM

830 posts, read 1,064,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nanjosbrand View Post
Hey,
I just wanted to post a little survey here to find out some of your opinions. I have a house that I am going to be selling soon. It has white appliances (Kenmore brand countertop stove, wall oven, and dishwasher and a Whirlpool side by side fridge with ice maker and water). My question is: would you not buy this house because it has white appliances rather than stainless steel appliances? The hardware and light fixtures are oil rubbed bronze and the countertops are granite.
I prefer white but I wouldn't not buy a house if it had SS. The appliances would not have any baring on my purchase.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate