Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2009, 09:40 AM

42 posts, read 185,749 times

Advertisements

- are closing within the next 1-2 months
- this includes buyers actively bidding on a home or newly under contract
- people who are fun, enthusiastic and have a great story to tell

I wonder what would happen if the buyers, on their "search", discovered a better buy, on a house they liked better, than the one they originally were interested in. Now that would be a great story to tell! "Sorry, Mr. Seller, HGTV filmed a fake search for houses and we found one we like better than yours."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2009, 10:24 AM

15,518 posts, read 40,267,236 times
We have one of those filming in my area right now with another agent. My buyer won the bidding contest over the house. So they filmed the buyer for the show and then didn't get the house.

The bank wouldn't let the film crew in to refilm some scenes because they needed to change the story because the buyer didn't get the house. They wanted my buyer to let them in after the house closed to retake the scenes...

Definitely not real.

Old 06-04-2009, 10:43 AM

41,803 posts, read 74,837,182 times
Old news.

Next ...

Pssst ... Everything on HGTV is staged!!

Old 06-04-2009, 02:07 PM

280 posts, read 1,039,111 times
Eh. Reality would not be much fun to watch.

If the show had people looking at 50 houses, waiting on short sales for months, getting outbid over and over, it would be hard to pack into a half hour. Some of the other shows kind of touch on some more realities (Property Virgins, My First Place), but I think HH is committed to ending on a happy note.

There's something comforting about the 3 options and the oddly upbeat club music . . .

Old 06-04-2009, 04:01 PM

11,874 posts, read 11,025,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
Fake is a relative term...

Of course they want buyers that are actively bidding / near closing -- otherwise they might get the "never make up our minds types" that shop for YEARS.
The time that the TV company devotes to taping costs them MONEY, if the folks that are featured on the show are close to a decision / sale there is a pretty good chance that they can merely tape a few hours and edit things down to the 23 minutes of air time.
The sellers of other houses get some exposure, the agents get some exposure, the buyers probably get a few "thank you" gift cards from the network sponsors. Hurts no one to work a little out a sequence.

Believe me if the show followed real life new home buyers who want to see several hundred listings spread out over three or four COUNTIES and they'd be fretting with angst and indecision for months each episode would be like "Roots"....
LOL yeah it would be like an extended version of Roots if it wasn't staged and down to the final purchase process - the 'real world' of RE doesn't fit into a 1/2 hour show. We only wish

However, like you said the show does spend a lot of money on filming, a lot of people do watch these shows, the agents involved do get exposure and, on an international level, it can bring exposure into the market where the agent practices. They contacted me and I said sure, why not - they might not pick mine because I'm sure they contacted a lot of other people, but hey - free exposure for my brokerages? My clients getting their '15 minutes of fame'? Nothing bad with that in my opinion.

Thing is I never watch these so-called reality shows, any of them - kind of like the fake wrestling that people pay soooo much $$$ to go see. But a lot and I mean a lot of people do watch these type of shows, whether they know it's fake or think they're real. From a biz standpoint - you bet, hope they pick my brokerage and buyers and we get some free exposure from the international version.

Old 06-04-2009, 05:27 PM

1 posts, read 2,348 times
They are casting in Minneapolis - St. Paul area also!

Old 06-04-2009, 10:00 PM

10,919 posts, read 21,890,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by c21boquetebocasgold View Post
LOL yeah it would be like an extended version of Roots if it wasn't staged and down to the final purchase process - the 'real world' of RE doesn't fit into a 1/2 hour show. We only wish
They wouldn't like me this week. I've spent a lot of time in the office with a few trouble files. Haven't been out much because of them. Feel like I'm growing roots to my chair.

Old 06-04-2009, 10:34 PM

11,874 posts, read 11,025,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Hoffman View Post
They wouldn't like me this week. I've spent a lot of time in the office with a few trouble files. Haven't been out much because of them. Feel like I'm growing roots to my chair.
LOL - maybe we should create a 'real' reality series about RE? Something like 'Cops' OMG now that would be 'entertaining' as well as enlightening to all who think it's a piece of cake and cut those darn roots before you become a full blown tree

Old 06-05-2009, 04:50 PM

1,615 posts, read 3,573,121 times
I love that show

Old 06-05-2009, 06:21 PM
Status: "Made the Retirement Run in under 12 parsecs!!!" (set 13 days ago)

43,151 posts, read 76,719,434 times
House Hunters Staged for TV?
Oh, No!

Next someone will try to tell me that wrasslin' is fake!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate