Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2009, 10:46 PM

60 posts, read 296,472 times

Advertisements

Ok...here's the thing...my neighbor who is selling his house is now residing out-of-state. We share the same water line, so whenever a water pipe is being used on his end, the pipes at my house would make a "helicopter" noise. It feels like my pipes are under pressure and would burst any time.

So, I called him and his realtor and mentioned the situation. He supposedly had gotten it fixed. I haven't called him to complain for the past few months, until recently. I called him again and he said he would take care of it. I waited for weeks before I called him (again) and left a message. He has not returned my calls. I don't know if he's avoiding my calls, but I'm a neighbor who's easy to get along with.

Question: What is my next step? The first time we called, the realtor suggested to call the builder. Both our houses are approximately ~3 to 4 yrs old. What has the builder got to do with it? Shouldn't it be the resposibility of the owner? If I feel like my issues are being dismissed, what should I do? Bring it up with the HOA? I'm a first-time homeowner. Bought my house less than 6 months, and I just don't know if there's a neighborly protocol in getting this resolved.

Any input is greatly appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2009, 12:27 AM

22 posts, read 60,328 times
HOA would be my next step. They should know if others are having the same problem, and its most likely to lead to something.

Builder may be responsible for up to ten years on certain things, but once again the HOA should be able to put more weight on them than you can individually.

Old 06-11-2009, 04:53 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,130,593 times
I would not automatically assume the problem is his to fix, plus he is selling his house so he will not be anywhere near as interested in resolving the problem as you are.

If I were you and I realize I'm not, I would call a plumber next, not the HOA. Get a solid professional opinion before taking it further.

Old 06-11-2009, 05:58 AM
Status: "Made the Retirement Run in under 12 parsecs!!!" (set 8 days ago)

43,087 posts, read 76,661,372 times
I would post the question in the CD House Forum, and ask what is causing it.
Some pretty smart folks over there.

Seems to me that you may have a water hammer problem, or some other basic plumbing issue.

Old 06-11-2009, 07:04 AM

45,029 posts, read 60,039,815 times
Most public water utilities prohibit shared water supply laterals, especially in new construction. Was this possibly an older house on a lot that was later sub-divided and a newer house built? Never mind, I see the houses are about the same age. It sounds like the builder/owner cut some corners. There are situations that allow a shared well if non-public supply. It also sounds as if an inspection either wasn't done or the inspector dropped the ball.

Old 06-11-2009, 09:23 AM

6,957 posts, read 22,243,398 times
You should install a pressure regulator on your branch of the water line. They aren't expensive and maybe about 2 or 3 hours worth of labor to expose the line and install it. After it's installed have them put a (We call them "Christie boxes") box over it so it can be accessed easily in the future. You do the digging and have a friend who is handy with plumbing tools do the connection if you're not handy.

This would relieve the water hammer effect.

Good luck!

Old 06-11-2009, 09:56 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,509,429 times
Ilove this forum.

Old 06-11-2009, 10:18 AM

15,513 posts, read 40,244,030 times
I was also going to suggest a plumber. You need to know where the problem lies in order to correct it.

Old 06-11-2009, 02:41 PM

60 posts, read 296,472 times
I did hire a plumber. He said that it's not on my end. He even went to the neighbor's outside faucet (for the hose) to open it, and as soon as he turn my neiggbor's water on...the "helicopter" sound started happening. It's louder on his end, esp in the garage...but it resonates/radiates on MY plumbing system. The plumber suggested for me to call the owner of the house or HOA, but I don't really know how the HOA could fix this problem or even the builder of the house, which I believe is Highland.

The plumber said that we share main water line and then it goes into a "Y", hence the separate meters.

Today, I called the realtor and left a message. Neither the realtor nor the owner has called me back to touch base.

Now what?? Help
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate