Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2009, 11:13 AM

166 posts, read 853,674 times

Advertisements

I'm an agent in central Illinois, our market is fairly stable. I have 4 closings next week - 3 are first time buyers, the 4th is a move-up because 1st time buyer bought their home. The homes are priced between 45,000 (little condo) and 215,000. Is the tax credit having an affect? Yes. The 1st time buyers are coming out of the woodwork because of it. Many of them cannot qualify for a loan- and have no business trying to buy a house - which in many cases has made them realize they have to SAVE their own money for a down payment. Wow, imagine that! On the other hand, I'm also working with several who have been fiscally responsible, have excellent credit, good jobs, substantial savings and see the credit as an incentive for them to become homeowners. Throwing a proposal out there for larger credits that are not retro-active blah blah blah will just cause a wait-and-see attitude.

For the record - I think ALL of these incentives are a bad idea, for many reasons, most of which have been stated by other posters. I have been working since I was 14 years old, earned every penny I've ever had and get tired of the government looking in my wallet to send it those who haven't or won't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2009, 11:29 AM

190 posts, read 411,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnian View Post
as was done until Barney Frank, Chris Dodd, creative bankers, and other self-interested parties gave out loans like "crack" and now have decided to sign up the American people to support "crack addicts" guised as "stimulus."
as far as "other self-interested parties" I assume you include GW Bush with his $200 Million American Dream program to help homebuilders put unqualified buyers into homes with government downpayments?

Old 06-20-2009, 12:56 PM

4,511 posts, read 6,752,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanInHSV View Post
as far as "other self-interested parties" I assume you include GW Bush with his $200 Million American Dream program to help homebuilders put unqualified buyers into homes with government downpayments?
There's plenty of blame to go around. However, Frank and Dodd controlled the House and Senate Banking Committees. Without their leadership(?) it wouldn't have made it through.

Greenspan also deserves much criticism. His inflated ego, master of the universe status, and flawed Freidman models destroyed our economy twice in less than 10 years.

Old 06-21-2009, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnian View Post
There's plenty of blame to go around. However, Frank and Dodd controlled the House and Senate Banking Committees. Without their leadership(?) it wouldn't have made it through.

Greenspan also deserves much criticism. His inflated ego, master of the universe status, and flawed Freidman models destroyed our economy twice in less than 10 years.
Actually, the Republicans controlled both the House and Senate Banking committees until 2007, but the housing bubble hadn't popped until the (D) party took over then.

Old 06-21-2009, 09:41 AM

4,344 posts, read 5,778,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanInHSV View Post
Actually, the Republicans controlled both the House and Senate Banking committees until 2007, but the housing bubble hadn't popped until the (D) party took over then.

There is plenty of blame to go around for all parties involved and it does not matter what party was in control or not in control. The whole housing thing has taken several years to get to where it is. It all comes down to living beyond your means and greed.

Old 06-21-2009, 10:51 AM

764 posts, read 1,595,581 times
This $15K credit will have a very, very limited 'positive' impact on the move-up buyer segment which is key to getting us out of this housing death spiral.

I just wonder when Congress is going to run out of what most consider nothing more than 'feel good' attempts at stabilizing the market which do much more harm than good.

Let the RE marketplace adjust naturally by not meddling with the free market system.... simple as that.

Old 06-21-2009, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybug07 View Post
There is plenty of blame to go around for all parties involved and it does not matter what party was in control or not in control. The whole housing thing has taken several years to get to where it is. It all comes down to living beyond your means and greed.
I agree wholeheartedly. I'm just making the necessary response to the following chain of events:

1) right wing nut makes repeated attempts to blame liberal politicians who are responsible for "the mess".
2) Moderate repeatedly responds with counter examples of how Republican politicians are equally culpable.
3) Since appropriating blame wholly to the liberals didn't fly after several attempts that are complicated by the actual facts, someone else chimes in and says "oh there were many parties involved."

Now we can continue where we left off

Old 06-22-2009, 11:26 AM

1,048 posts, read 2,381,494 times
Boy, I'm glad this thread turned into a blame game.

Old 06-22-2009, 11:31 AM

4,677 posts, read 5,745,909 times
So, since I saw it asked multiple times. The credit is limited to your tax liability, but can be spread out over 2 years.
In other words, it is not a refundable credit, but can be partially deferred one year.

Old 06-22-2009, 01:48 PM

12,626 posts, read 31,955,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marigolds6 View Post
So, since I saw it asked multiple times. The credit is limited to your tax liability, but can be spread out over 2 years.
In other words, it is not a refundable credit, but can be partially deferred one year.
Is this on the $15K? From what I understand, the $8K can be a refund. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate